The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Behaviour Patterns-Alan Chitty (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Alan...looked great on Dave and Craig's World Product Review, but I tried watching the demo on your site, and unfortunately all I can view while watching your demo is your shirt. (It's a very nice shirt, but I'd like to see the props). The framing of your camera does not allow the props to be seen during the demonstration. I tried watching it in Firefox and Safari...thought you might want to know...

Ken
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Alan doesn't seem to be Internet connected at the moment. I haven't had confirmation that my order has been received (besides the PayPal receipt) nor any response to my request for information on how to get my two bonuses.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Did anybody out there notice the way Dave performed this on the Wizard Product Review? He seemed to be VERY clear and fair in letting Craig pick a single page as he held each one up for several seconds. Was he just lucky or what?
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Just heard from Alan. He has been in hospital and my order should be going out soon.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yes it looks very good on Wizard Review, its the first effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co133gxA4Ws

Very very fair. I too would prefer a smaller 3 by 5 version.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
It would probably be pretty easy to make a smaller version from your originally purchased copy.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Yeah same here, just purchase a blank small notebook type and then make your own
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Seems like the way I roll. Just ordered it, now the waiting game. I thought of going to Kinkos and having the notebook bound with spiral. I just don't have a jacket with me during every gig that will hold the likes of BP. Looks like some great presentational ideas to go along with this one combined with other go tos.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I don't know if you guys are catching my drift. I am saying that I don't understand how David was able to perform it the way he did on the Wizard Product Review. It was a little TOO fair. For those that own it you will know what I mean. Do you think David has worked out a different handling or were they just going to do another take if things didn't go as smoothly as David was hoping. Any thoughts on how he accomplished it the way he did it?
MichaelGristMagic
View Profile
New user
Newcastle, UK
67 Posts

Profile of MichaelGristMagic
Is it a different outcome every time?
Magic is propar class like hew! Smile

"Pick a card"
"why?"
"So I can find it"
"why?"
"Because I can..."
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Yes, I preferred the way David performed this on the Wizard Product review as well.
It does look a fairer handling. However, I would also like to know how he would have worded things if it had been a different outcome.

I do think spectators will expect the number and picture they can see to be their choice.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 13:04, MichaelGristMagic wrote:
Is it a different outcome every time?

It can be a different outcome each time or at least appear to be. I wouldn't do this for the same audience twice unless a decent amount of time had passed where they wouldn't remember what they had the previous time.

I still want to know how Dave would have worded things if Craig hadn't of said stop when he did. Does anyone know how to contact Dave here on the Café?
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Paul just sent you a pm with alternative idea I have come up with for this routine
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
My friend Paul suggested that I share some additional thoughts about my experience with this effect. The first night that I tried this effect in the real world it was with a homemade version of black and white images drawn with a Sharpie on cardstock. It fooled everyone BADLY and the reactions were borderline incredible.

The second time I performed the effect was with the commercial prop and it did not go over nearly as well. I seriously don't think that I fooled anybody. The reactions were not what I expected that's for sure... So why was there such a difference?

In my opinion, there are two issues that need to be dealt with. Firstly, the black and white images are more foregiving. Spectator's seem to focus attention more on COLOR graphics than with black and white. If you flip through my black and white version it seems difficult to focus on any specific design. They all seem to blend nicely together but look slightly different from the spectator's point of view.

The second issue is that the commerical version looks and feels like a magician's prop (especially the cover art)... "What is this book and where does one even buy such an item?" Conversely, my homemade version looks like a genuine article... It's book of random doodles that I created for a psychological test. Trust me, the audience dropped their guards with my homemade version and NEVER questioned the book!!!

My advice is to buy the commercial product and experiment as I did and compare the results for yourself.

-Jared
Don-G
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire England
166 Posts

Profile of Don-G
I have already bought this effect from Mark Mason and without actualy trying it out yet, I am very impressed with the idea. It has been very interesting to read the many ideas put forward by members who have already tried out with a number of variations. I found the comments concerning a handwritten prediction and also producing your own black and white version very interesting. I prefer the performance by Wizard as it does seem to be very fair and also ties the two prediction together a lot better. To those that do not have the effect it can be any page. I do not understand the comment concerning an alternative working, perhaps I am not very bright and have missed something.
eagle2911
View Profile
New user
Dorset, UK
17 Posts

Profile of eagle2911
I don't know where to start; so many interesting points made! Here are a few responses:-

All orders via my website have been despatched first class on the same or the next day & will continue to be. As long as stocks last....as they say.
I feel 100% but I am awaiting some tests in hospital, but my family have rallied round to do all the packing & posting. I am sending out the bonus video link &.pdf from my laptop. Thank you to everyone who has sent me their good wishes.

The covers of early prototypes were labelled ''Subconcious Choice Research Programme'', which works for me, as I spent some time in research. I would start with, ''I am doing some research, would you mind helping me?''. Mark Mason was aware of the world wide market & that sales in non-English speaking countries would be much reduced & we went for a pictorial cover. That is one reason why he heads a highly succesful magic company & I don't! Nothing to stop anyone sticking whatever suits their style over the pictures. I can see that users may have a preference for colour or B & W patterns but not how one would ''fool'' [not a word I like in this context] spectators more than the other. Perhaps ''fool'' was intended as shorthand for ''seem more authentic'' & that could be true.

Well spotted Westo! One lovely idea attributed to Martin Gardner & Johnny Thompson is used in both the excellent Rubik Predicted & in BPs.

I agree with Jared when he says,''My advice is to buy the commercial product and experiment as I did and compare the results for yourself''. As I have said, I think good effects do give lots of scope for us to modify & personalize them.

Glad you like the shirt Ken. I wear a different one on the bonus video & I am looking into marketing them both.
Alan
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
"I can see that users may have a preference for colour or B & W patterns but not how one would ''fool'' [not a word I like in this context] spectators more than the other. Perhaps ''fool'' was intended as shorthand for ''seem more authentic'' & that could be true."

Hi Alan, agreed... "fool" was a poor choice of wording. What I intened to say was to convince the participants that I was somehow able to influence their behaviour.

Best,
Jared
eagle2911
View Profile
New user
Dorset, UK
17 Posts

Profile of eagle2911
I understand Jared.

You highlight another point which applies to many mentalism effects. The approach can be either 'Everyone behaves like this anyway.....' OR 'I am going to influence you however hard you try to resist....'. The spare envelope supplied might be captioned something like, AS I EXPECTED YOU SAID STOP AT AN ODD NUMBER or UNDER MY INFLUENCE YOU SAID STOP AT AN ODD NUMBER or YOU COULD NOT RESIST SAYING STOP AT AN ODD NUMBER in the latter case. All these could sound a bit smug in the wrong context but again, users will find an approach to suit their personality.

Alan
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Got this in the mail on Friday- performed it Friday night! That's how easy this trick is to learn. Though- do NOT think that because it's that easy to learn it will not fool anyone. I performed this as Mark did in the instruction video- Mark tells the spectator to relax- put your hands by your side so ALL your energy and thoughts are coming from using your eyes and brain ONLY. And when the spectator simply told me to stop on the page- I made the reveals:

1. Only odd pages are stopped on (or whatever the prediction says)- at this point- my spectator looked at me and I saw a his cheeks become a little red- then

2. I pulled out the same pattern in my prediction envelope that he stopped on- my spectators' face became COMPLETELY flushed then red! It was a moment I wish I had on camera. He looked over at his friend- she just gave a smile and simply said- "Unbelievable" and shook her head in amazement.

I performed it again just to see what would happen- well- another GREAT reaction!

For most ALL cases- this will find a home on me for the walk-around/strolling gigs. Someone on the Café has been kicking the idea around about making the cards larger for parlour and stage use- if this would happen- I would definately buy them and use it for those occasions. The reactions are to strong not to use it and the method- so so easy that your can totally concentrate on your patter and presentation.

Alan- a WONDERFUL job! I REALLY like this. Not to mention- the book has a very appealing look to it! HIGHLY recommened!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 16:26, NeilS wrote:
Mine arrived today. The quality of the book is superb and, as the ad says, the spectator can leaf through it to their hearts content and stop at any page. It is like a genuine free choice of ESP cards except, in this case, it is 4 different symbols all on one page.

The actual working of the effect is also very clever and although, I have yet to perform, I am sure it is going to convince. The only slight alteration I may make is to handwrite the prediction rather than use the one printed on the envelope. This will make the prediction appear more personal.

This is an effect I very much like and can see why stocks soon sold out.

Neil that was my first thought....... "everybody stops on an odd page", sounds impersonal to me........
how about ..... 'interesting, intelligent, attractive people like yourself almost always stop on an odd page'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Behaviour Patterns-Alan Chitty (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL