The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Brother Shadow's Have Seance Will Travel Manuscript (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Taking a sort of pole here.

What do you think the demand (or wish list) would be for Brother Shadow’s
“Have Séance Will Travel” now that Carl is among the missing in our Bizarre World?

I’ve seen a lot of magicians asking for or about it a lot over the last few years,
and frustrated they can’t get a hold of Brother Shadow or find man used copies.

I’ve had success with it whenever I’ve done it, and it’s a relief to have everything in a small bag (like a doctor’s bag) and not have to set up a whole darn room with hook-ups or props.

So where would you venture to guess this is on the supply and demand chain these days?

Magically,
Walt
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Walt:

I think the demand would be good. I've emailed carl 5 times over the past 4 years asking about purchasing the publication rights (and I know of a publisher who has done the same). No response as of yet, but I will keep trying. If you have better luck than me, that would be fantastic too.

Tony
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Definitely would like to have it Walt.

Thanks
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I would really like a copy very much, I suspect the demand would be high.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Hey Walt,

I too would certainly like to get it as well...

Thanks much,

David
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Add me to the list. Brother Shadow.... what else is there to say?
cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
Quote:
On 2011-03-20 15:54, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I think the demand would be good. I've emailed carl 5 times over the past 4 years asking about purchasing the publication rights (and I know of a publisher who has done the same). No response as of yet, but I will keep trying. If you have better luck than me, that would be fantastic too.

Tony

I've done the same and haven't ever received a response.
The last time I tried was back in February and the email was returned undeliverable.

-Clay
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Clay:

His AOL account closed last year.

Tony
cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
Quote:
On 2011-03-20 19:56, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Clay:

His AOL account closed last year.

Tony

Ah. Thanks for letting me know.
That was the only email address I had ever known of. I didn't realize it had been a year since my last email attempt

-Clay
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
A bit ago, somewhere around a year or so, I posted an offer for sale. It was "Spirit Theater" by Eugene Burger, 1st edition with vinyl record, and an excellent condition copy of HSWT, eigth edition. I asked $100 for the set.

I got no takers on this board...not even a pm. One person from another board said they would buy it last September but never did.

I am glad they didn't...I wouldn't sell HSWT now for a hundred by itself (which means I will never sell it). I just mention this to let you know my experience...the offer, as I made it, attracted no one.

People want HSWT, but when it actually comes down to how much they will pay for it the amount is uncertain.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Interesting.
I asked for a copy a few months ago and got an offer for a copy for $100. This was a bit more than I had expected, so I sent a PM back (very quickly) to ask just a couple questions to make sure it was right for me. Well, it turned out to be moot, because in the short time it took me to respond to the PM it had already been sold!

Anything over say $50(sometimes less) will depend on my immediate finances as to wether or not I can make an offer immediately, but I would definitely be willing to pay for a copy.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
Quote:
On 2011-03-21 01:01, mota wrote:
A bit ago, somewhere around a year or so, I posted an offer for sale. It was "Spirit Theater" by Eugene Burger, 1st edition with vinyl record, and an excellent condition copy of HSWT, eigth edition. I asked $100 for the set.

I got no takers on this board...not even a pm. One person from another board said they would buy it last September but never did.

I am glad they didn't...I wouldn't sell HSWT now for a hundred by itself (which means I will never sell it). I just mention this to let you know my experience...the offer, as I made it, attracted no one.

People want HSWT, but when it actually comes down to how much they will pay for it the amount is uncertain.

Wow, how did I miss that? I guess you should be glad I never did see because I would have snatched up that set in a heartbeat =)

-Clay
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I have the "Have Seance" - it should be resurrected so people can see how its been ripped of by a gazillion others over time...

Anyhoo, there would be a market I bet.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have been trying to get this for years.

Best
Ray
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Adding my vote. I'd love a copy!
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Add me to the list as well.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I’ve had several phone calls and messages in the past day, so I thought I’d post an update as best I can. I cannot be certain of all this information, but I feel it’s pretty accurate. This is my experience and last news on HSWT and Brother Shadow.

After his dear wife Bertha’s death Shadow was grief stricken and slowly became so depressed as to be almost incapacitated. He was not able to attend ICBM, and finally could not respond to emails or letters much at all. This is about the time I had my last email exchange and phone calls with him. I understand he is now in a elderly care facilitate, and his memory has, and is, declining significantly. No one I know has close personal or regular contact with Brother Shadow at this point.

There are those of us who care deeply not only for Shadow, but for his legacy and important contributions to the magic community. This includes the Séance, and his wonderful books, booklets, effects, and artifacts. I have most of his books and booklets and they are a treasure trove for the interested performer.

My personal concern is that his work not have the same fate as Gene Poinc’s work (the last two of his trilogy, Journey into Black and Journey into White are lost forever, along with at least two other uncompleted works) everything on his computer was wiped out or discarded, and though I was able to direct his family on some of his collection, much was not valued by them, and now gone. There is a chance one of Gene’s books may not be gone, resurface, and finally see the light of day, but it’s not for me to talk about that project or where it stands now.

I do have a copy of the Have Séance Will Travel booklet, as do many other die hard fans of Brother Shadow and those that know him (I had the honor of rooming with him a few years at the ICBM Gatherings) not only is the Séance of value as a contribution to story/theatrical/bizarre magic, but all of his other works which are now, and perhaps permanently all out of print. If Shadow does have family members checking in on him, I wonder if they’d have any knowledge or interest in preserving his collection or creations, or any idea that it only has value to a precious few magicians?

I’ve performed his Travel Séance. It is not an easy piece or an easy task. There is much to be learned outside the book’s content and much responsibility to be taken for the well being of the guests. Although wonderful, not something to be attempted by an inexperienced or younger performer. Facilitating this takes an emotional toll. The performance journey is difficult, nuanced and demanding, the performer must be aware that someone could freak out, and that you don't know how stable any of the guests may or may not be. I think you must have the proper background and training to attempt HSWT and be prepared for all contingencies. Brother Shadow was on to something, it is a powerful and rewarding experience, just not as easy as it may look to someone inexperienced and only a magical background.

I’ve adjusted the Séance to fit my style and voice, and hopefully made it a bit more accessible and predictable, anyone doing it should make it his or her own, only based upon the original manuscript.

The Séance may be the least of his valuable products and contributions, I was very close to Gene Poinc, officiated at his Magic Castle and ICBM, east and west Memorial Services. It is a tragedy that his original art, manuscripts, unpublished books have been lost. That they’ll never see the light of day is heartbreaking, this looks to be the path that Brother Shadow’s legacy may be traveling as well.

There is a small band of people who, like me hope to find out more details and work on this project, so that is a relief. They may have some success only time will tell. That’s all I personally know at this point.

Magically,
Walt
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Since I'm parting with a lot of my spook library, someone may be interested in my copy-never used, I'm sad to say.
PM if interested.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
The copy I had is long gone now!
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
It happened to me again!
There is a demand. Smile

Quote:
On 2011-03-21 01:08, seadog93 wrote:
I asked for a copy a few months ago and got an offer for a copy for $100. This was a bit more than I had expected, so I sent a PM back (very quickly) to ask just a couple questions to make sure it was right for me. Well, it turned out to be moot, because in the short time it took me to respond to the PM it had already been sold!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Brother Shadow's Have Seance Will Travel Manuscript (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL