The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Just an FYI -
Target stores are selling some kind of redistributed Houdini brand 1.5" sponge balls.
Pretty soft
Very minimal bleed after soaking them in water!
$2.00 for 4!
Bought a set to check it out and now will go back tomorrow and clean them out of their supply.
If anything for practice, $2 for 4 for this size and softness is unbeatable.
And they have other Houdini stuff - extremely outstanding over Dollar store's re-selling of Fantasma items.
Other Houdini magic toys are the zig zag card (don't see that too often), a larger ball and vase set, bridge size stripper deck, etc.
The other stuff are for a $1, zig zig card for a $1. All great for stocking for a kids party or one offs. They are located in that "Dollar"section. My bet is if you find it, you'll leave with something.
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Thanks!

I enjoy going through those just to sometimes get a basic tool and instruction for something I have never used before. Plus, my younger son likes to have these for himself.

The sponge balls sound like a good idea for a few reasons.

I was just there yesterday, but I'll stop back in from time to time.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hopefully they are stocked. I realize some of these things are regional or something despite Target being a national chain. So I'm reporting this from California, San Francisco area to give some geographical context.
I still run in there like searching for a lost child for those Blaine magic decks. I have them already but I just want to get that "deal" myself.
Good Luck - I hope you get a bag full of fun!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
You might want to try the magic warehouse, http://themagicwarehouse.com/asponge1.html , where you can get a bag of 50 1 1/2 inch GoshmN supersoft for $27. They also have the 2 inch and 1 inch bags. You can never have too many sponge balls!

Hudson
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Thanks Hudson, bookmarked it!
I think I'm going to pick up that foam rock and brick!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Anytime!

Hudson
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
I just remembered the bargain, two-dollar magic kit my wife got me at Target for Christmas.

It came with a card trick that was missing cards. There was some kind of trick with a die box and five dice. I got two tops to the box, no bottoms.

The paddle thankfully arrived in one piece. I need to actually learn how to use one of those, some day.

Anyway, there's a little bit of Buyer Beware in anything that you can't explicitly see. But, for a dollar or two, it may be worth the risk. In our case, it was all for fun anyway.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-03-20 20:22, rklew64 wrote:
Just an FYI -
Target stores are selling some kind of redistributed Houdini brand 1.5" sponge balls.
Pretty soft
Very minimal bleed after soaking them in water!
$2.00 for 4!
Bought a set to check it out and now will go back tomorrow and clean them out of their supply.
If anything for practice, $2 for 4 for this size and softness is unbeatable.
And they have other Houdini stuff - extremely outstanding over Dollar store's re-selling of Fantasma items.
Other Houdini magic toys are the zig zag card (don't see that too often), a larger ball and vase set, bridge size stripper deck, etc.
The other stuff are for a $1, zig zig card for a $1. All great for stocking for a kids party or one offs. They are located in that "Dollar"section. My bet is if you find it, you'll leave with something.

I realize your excitement to find a perceived bargain, but $2 for 4 pieces 1.5" sponges are standard for one set purchase. If you are "cleaning out their stock" as if you have found gold, you are wasting your money. As another has mentioned the bulk bag of sponges, you can get 2" bag of 50 anytime from any dealer who will gladly give you a deal to match the $2.
.50 a ball is not really a deal.
----------------
About the $1 stuff. Also, not unique. The suppliers have a batch of low-end magic items geared to sell for $1. There is a list of 100 or so items. The effect is there, the quality is good enough for beginners, but again, $1 is the price, and not unusual to find.
If you want to buy in quantity, you can get an account from Robbins magic. $200 minimum order, and you can buy.
Here is a small list of $1 or less items (although zig zag card went up to $1.35).

http://www.e-zmagic.com/catalog/BestSellers.aspx

Sponge balls:
http://www.e-zmagic.com/catalog/productD......ID=18112
LIST price is $26, so any dealer (including myself) will sell you this bag fo $20 plus shipping).
.50 a ball is regular price in bulk.
Magic-Ian
magicians@aol.com
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
I think the key is whether we are talking retail prices, or wholesale. Most Boxes of four Goshman sponge balls run 4.95 to 5.95 retail depending on size and softness. I don't know what the Houdini brand usually runs, but compared to the other, $2 for a box of four is a decent price. But of course, buying is bulk is always the cheapest.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL