The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Loftus deck problems...(maybe it's just ME!) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don -- I agree that 98% of these decks will wind up in the recycling bin within a week. What worries me is the 2% that don't! I sure wouldn't want to disappoint a kid, especially if he's going to be the next David Copperfield (who cut his magical teeth on a coin board from a pitchman at Macy's, BTW). And at least for me, there's always the issue of getting what you paid for -- from the wholesaler, that is.

But I also understand that once you're at your spot doing the pitch, you have to do the best you can with what you've got. As you know, I've been there, done that! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
All agreeed Seth.So if you remove the two double cards than the problem is solved and the kid gets a working Svengali deck.The fact that there are way more black cards then red cards dosen't matter and no layman will think a thing about it.

Once in awhile you might get something from your wholesaler that is so larry you can't pitch them and have to send them back and complain.This dosen't seem that big a problem.Not good mind you but fixable by yourself.

I'm glade to hear Loftus steped up to the plate on this and is fixing the problem for future orders.

Don

P.S. That pitchman at Macy's was Danny Chillress.David Haversat has some of thoses coin boards and I have seen him do the pitch.Its one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in magic...and at my age I have seen plenty.I keep bugging him to come back out with them.The problem is they are made out of wood and plastic just won't work.Danny got his from Japan years ago.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Don -- A while ago I bought a coin board (quarter size) and looked into pitching it.

You know what -- I couldn't do it!! The board worked like a gem, but there is a real knack to maneuvering that coin; in my opinion, it's much tougher than doing a DL (which is tough enough). So I stuck to Svengali Decks and Magic Worms.

By the way, FUN, Inc. does sell a plastic coaster under its Royal Magic label that works on somewhat the same principle. But it's only good for making a coin appear under an inverted glass, there's no way to make it vanish, as far as I know. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 11:15, sethb wrote:
Hey Don -- A while ago I bought a coin board (quarter size) and looked into pitching it.

You know what -- I couldn't do it!! The board worked like a gem, but there is a real knack to maneuvering that coin; in my opinion, it's much tougher than doing a DL (which is tough enough). So I stuck to Svengali Decks and Magic Worms.

By the way, FUN, Inc. does sell a plastic coaster under its Royal Magic label that works on somewhat the same principle. But it's only good for making a coin appear under an inverted glass, there's no way to make it vanish, as far as I know. SETH

Its not easy that's for sure.David does it fawless.Everytime he goes to a magic convention he'll take a dozen or so and always sells out.He sells them for $20.00.But he dosen't get them cheap enough to wholesale them.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Yep, that was the other problem -- a bit too expensive for a pitch item, in my opinion.

The coin boards are now being made in India by the FunTime folks. No idea as to the quality of them -- some of the FunTime stuff is OK, and some it really reeks. But in any event, I think they are too expensive at wholesale for a pitch item. SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Yesterday, I ordered a doz MM decks, specified AS keys. Aaron told me, "We don't usually allow you to select keys on less than a gross but I know what you're doing." Wonder what he meant by that?

Ya don't suppose he reads Magic Café? Smile

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, if he doesn't read the Café', he ought to -- only the best pitchmen are here!

Actually, I never cared or worried about the identity of the key card. Maybe that's because the Royal Magic decks I use all have different key cards. I rotate two or three decks during each show, so that I don't use the same key card all day, but will use the same deck for at least an hour or two. So I usually always know and remember what the key card is. My big problem is remembering what the other indifferent card is (the one that's supposedly under the spec's hand).

If I have a chance to go through the deck and pick out a real distinctive indifferent card (like a face card) that helps. But I don't always have the opportunity to do that, so sometimes I have to go with whatever the DL shows. That's when the brain circuits fizzle once in a while, and then I'm reduced to talking about "MY" card and "YOUR" card, and hoping that at least a couple of the specs paid enough attention to remember what they were. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth I cover this in my DVD.If you forget the card under their hand or box.(smile)You know its on top of the deck,you can do a fast peek using the lower left cornor.I forgot that card all the time.I would have the key card sticking out of the deck ready to do the change with the card under the box " now watch the 9 of hearts change places with...peek....the 10 of clubs under the box"

Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
WHAT???? YOU had to PEEK??? I guess there is still hope for me! However, I'm too scared to peek. I just say '...the card under the box...". If they don't remember it, they DO when the see it after it '...jumped back into the deck'. Smile

Hey, another 8 or 10 years, I'll have this demo learned!

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Don, I forgot about the "peek." Another couple of tips like that, and I'll be in good shape to run a great "alibi store." <grin> SETH
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
929 Posts

Profile of Aus
Talking of Loftus decks and the ones sold by the dozen that all you guys seems to use, how much would one of those boxes of 24 weigh and what dimensions is the display box. The reason I ask is that I’m trying to work out if it’s cost effective to send them priority mail international to Australia or to buy MM decks from a local magic shop at $2 each.
Would they fit in a Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box:

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/......10000274

or a Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box:

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/......10001232

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Loftus deck problems...(maybe it's just ME!) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL