We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Famous Vanishing Bird Cage (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you want to do the Vanishing Bird Cage or have been interested in this effect but did not want to spend thousands of dollars to see if it fits your act, makeup, style, etc.

Then, if you act fast you may have a change to purchase the closest cage to the Lindhurst model, semi-Ridged Vanishing Bird Cage.

I have just found out that the current supply on dealers shelves and the Internet is all that there is available as the Indina manufacturer has stopped production of this model.

It is called Pro-Van Bird Cage, it has feature as well that Richard Buffum also thought of, making the cage pop open for an encore vanish of the cage. Richard had a large bag made, then he would reach inside to extract another cage. The only thing I would suggest is to file the edges of the cornes of the bars.

The price is very good at only $45.00, it is one of the largest cages I have seen, it may be sleightly larger then the Owen Magic model. I just purchased my last Pro-Van Bird Cage from Daytona Magic. I like this so much I purchased 2. This is very good quality and will actually work, unlike the other models on the market. It comes with a gimmick and a little feather bird.

So if you think you want to join the ranks of Harry Blackstone Sr., Harry Blackstone Jr., Walter 'Zany' Blaney, and some other of the greats then give this a try.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is similar to something Abbott's made years ago. Interesting.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Richard, I am not familar with Abbott making a semi-rigid cage. I did give the Richard Hatch's instructions to Jim at Abbott's years ago, as he was trying to make a self-opening cage.

I do know Abbott's found an old Abbott's Appearing Cage that was an original. They did make a few, and sold them for $100, it looked just like their Vanishing Cage with red ribbon. I guess it did not sell very well, as they did not make any more. The drawback was, when it was flat, it was rectangle shape.

This cage looks just like an Owen Magic cage, which is suppose to be fashioned after the Lindhurst model. It has square bars on all edges and the wire bars are recessed into his larger square bars. These square bars ends are a little sharp, that is why I suggest you round off the edges a little of these square edge bar. The cage is 15-1/4" when closed. The cage is 5-3/4" x 4-7/8" x 4-7/8" as it stands on a table.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, they made one as you described. they also made one that you took out of a box vanished and it reappeared in the box.

I have one and took to a Collector's meeting in Chicago. John McKiven did a vanishing Lindhorst cage and reappearance in a box. After the presentation, I showed him my original which had inspired him. Al Sharpe wanted to buy it from me but I did not want to sell it. Sid Lorraine was there and remembered doing the drawings for it.

I think it was call the Repeat Cage Vanish.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks, sorry I missed out on that model. Would have been great to see!
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
I used to own an Abbott's Flyto Cage set. It featured different types of cage than their vanishing cage (two cages).

Now, that cage from India is NOT made like a real Lindhorst or Owen Cage. It is more of a larger copy of the Milson-Worth Cage but with even more sharp corners. There is a reason that real pros use certain cages. I know of no working magician who would risk his arm with any of the India cages.

In addition, Richard Buffum made a cage pair for himself featuring a real Lindhorst style cage.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
MR is correct, after you rip up your coat your arm is next. Not even close to MW or Lindhorst
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 17:31, Magic Researcher wrote:
Now, that cage from India is NOT made like a real Lindhorst or Owen Cage. It is more of a larger copy of the Milson-Worth Cage but with even more sharp corners.
MR

I must disagree with your assessment. The cage is an identical to an Owen Cage, I owned one for years. This cage is the same, the only difference is that the wire bars are soldered on the ends where the Owen is spun over the ends. This is nothing like the Milson-Worth, it does not have the side loops on the top. I think before you say it is not the same, you see on in person.

The cross pieces you see is metallic thread, which can be removed or replaced with black thread. That is only used to for the production if used. Again, Richard Hatch idea as well, if you did not buy his method 40 years ago, you would not know what it is and how it is handled.

Anyway, I don't want to argue, if you don't believe me or want to perform this effect, then leave it for someone that does. This model will not tear up your cloths or scratch your arm, from wires breaking.

I have been working on the Milson-Worth model as well, and have come up with some ideas how to make it vanish, without going through all the improvements Tommy Wonder did to his model.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

What are you talking about? The Lindhorst is not like the India cage. Have you ever seen a Lindhorst? The Owen, Yimka, Riser, National Magic (and other older makes) cages are all Lindhorst style cages. Your cage and even M-W cages are NOT Lindhorst style cages.

It's your arm. Write us again when you have 15" of stitches up your right arm. If someone buys one of these India cages on your advice and gets injured, you might be in legal trouble. These cages are dangerous.
MR
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, this is exactly like an Owen Cage, I am speaking from actually owning both cages. Do all of you own both an Owen Cage and the Pro-Van Bird Cage?

I don't think you can comment unless you actually have it in your hands.

And I believe I read that Walter Blaney once had an Owen cage bars come loose on him. Due to his constant use of the cage, they made improvements over the years.

It would be nice for someone that actually knows what they are talking about to post.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is a picture of the Pro-Van Bird Cage. Note the design.

Click here to view attached image.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I have to agree this is different than the India cage I have in front of me. and closer to the MW I have in front of me. If it troubles you to make post don't make them. Remember you get what you pay for. Your post that it was made in India was a little vague that is why I ass you med it was the India cage I spoke od, which I was only told it was from India. It has no marking to say that.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is my India model that is a copy of the Milson-Worth Cage. Notice the loops on the end wire bars.

Click here to view attached image.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

The cage you picture as the "pro" model is not the cage shown on the Daytona Magic site!

The cage you show is indeed modeled after the Lindhorst.

MR
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
This is a really funny thread!!

I don't know anything about "pro" or Lindhorst, or what ever...

But I did work for a magic shop many years ago and that Indian cage was on the shelves.
We tried everything to sell it, and couldn't.
It's probably still up there, because it's a piece of junk.
It breaks, made cheaply, and not fast enough.

Randi
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
It says PRO. Cant imagine it being junk
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, this is the same cage pictured here http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/PRO......AGE.html

I guess the manufacturer did not take a very good picture. The auto opening system interferes with the looks of the cage I guess.

By all means if you can afford the $600 to $800 for the Owen Cage, this is the best to use, no question about it.

But if you just want to find out if you like this style of cage and are interested in persuing this Classic effect of the Vanishing Bird Cage. Then this is a good choice to get to know if you even want to experience the effect.

I have worked with the Milson-Worth and the India copies of he same design, and have not been able to effectively make any of them work as they should. Tommy Wonder was the only person that added so much extra wires and protectors to the cage design to make it work for him.

If you notice in my above picture of the M-W copy, I was working on a different approach to assist this model of cage to work without grabbing the clothing. I applied a clay type glue to the bars to effectively accomplish the same thing Tommy Wonder was trying to avoid with his extra wire design. It is a work in progress.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had a MW cage at one time, and found out the hard way that there is an acute inside angle created on one of the corners as it begins to collapse. That thing caught me in the web between the ring and little finger and I thought I'd ripped my arm up to the elbow. I sold it very soon after that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What is an "acute inside angle". I have more problems with the loops and solder wrapped wire catching on the clothing.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 01:54, wmhegbli wrote:
What is an "acute inside angle". I have more problems with the loops and solder wrapped wire catching on the clothing.

As long as you know the cage construction, the drawing should make sense.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Famous Vanishing Bird Cage (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL