The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Floating a ball. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
Hey guys,

I want to float a ball, say the size of a basketball. Now I'm looking for routines and hookups already out to accomplish this.

Ideally I don't want any hook ups on the stages. Maybe from me to the ball, or table. But want to avoid hooking up to the stage.

Any resources on this? Also the ball wont be a baketball it will be lightweight.

Thanks,

Six

P.S No Zombie lol
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9492 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So.... how would you do it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22354 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are 2 books I would recommend to help you with your floating ball.
The 1st is Burling Hull's Floating Light Bulb booklet, it will show how to use a floating device with a large hoop.
The 2nd is the String Book by R. Wichmann, this covers everything you need to know to float a ball or other items on stage with only a simple hookup. I like several of his ideas, 1 using a sword and another using a cane. His table hook-up is enlightening. He has a lot of clever ideas in the book.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
Thanks! I googled the books and found nothing, do you have any links?

Thanks,

Six
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22354 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Funny, I copied the titles in the Google search engine and came right to these, Says only one left of each. Let's see who buys them 1st.

http://www.magicbookshop.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=764

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......id=11060
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I THINK Losandr sells a floating basketball.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
Pete you right, although it looks nothing like a basketball at least here in the U.S lol
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1855 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Look around for Charlie Frye's take on the zombie. He has a routine where he uses a bowling ball. I suspect a similar setup could work for you.

There are only so many ways to float a ball and you probably have a good idea of the most common methods. If you have a particular routine effect in mind, perhaps it would be possible to give detailed advice.

-Patrick
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
Well I searched floating balls to find the best idea of what Id like mine to look like.

Here is what I found : http://www.youtube.com/user/MAGICSIX?fea......clWVOL8I

ANy info on detailed work on this kind of floating effect in print would be great.

Thanks!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Greater Magic has a description of the Nixon floating ball.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22354 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 23:42, SIX wrote:
Well I searched floating balls to find the best idea of what Id like mine to look like.

Here is what I found : http://www.youtube.com/user/MAGICSIX?fea......clWVOL8I

ANy info on detailed work on this kind of floating effect in print would be great.

Thanks!

It looks like the little girl in the YouTube video read my posts previously mentioned above and impressed you.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
This little girl, Patricia Duncan, is good. I saw this video a few years ago. I wonder how well she has progressed since then.

As far as her hook up, it's the basic Okito set up. Okitolearned it from David P. Abbott. Click on here http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6286597 to see where the thread goes. You can learn the Okito/Abbott set up http://miraclefactory.net/zenstore/index......ts_id=75 and the Dr. Albo book on Okito which is hard to find.

The hook up that Patricia used is even more simpler than that. The basics are described in the already mentioned the String Book by R. Wichmann.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22354 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Six, Just in case you do not totally understand where we are coming from on our suggestions. I will try to express it in words. The flosting ball is not a trick that is an off the shelf trick you can buy from a magic shop or site. Owen Magic sells a large metal ball, but with only bare bones instructions. The same with Don Wayne's Floating Ball that has recently re-appeared on the market.

You only get a few lines of how you could possibly make it work. The rest, such as a routine, is totally left up to you and your creative mind. The few magicians that have mastered the Floating Ball, do not share their methods or secrets with anyone.

Teller of Penn and Teller worked on his floating red ball for years before it was ready to present to the public. He used the David P. Abbott method, but he created the total illusion himself.

I once saw a magician do the Floating Ball on stage, and he made the ball disappear while it was high above his head with only a fan as cover for a moment. This is not in print anywhere that I know of.

So you have some references, it is up to you if you want to persue the creation of a Floating Ball Miracle. The Dr. Albo and Abbott books are very expensive, I was never able to purchase them. The references I gave you are reasonable and will give you enough information to create a very good Floating Ball Illusion. These deal with parlour type performing areas. Huge stages are not required.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Hi Six,

They’re right. I’ve spent about three decades researching, locating, reading, and experimenting with any and every Floating Ball method and routine imaginable. I’ve spent a -not so small- fortune on manuscripts, books, magazines, balls, gimmicks, set-ups and props (many not available anymore.)

And what these guys are saying above is true! It’s something that over a (long) period of time you discover and develop for yourself and your particular performance needs. There is no “silver bullet” and even the easiest method is difficult to carry off in the improper setting or venue.

I get PM’s every week asking where they can “buy” an Okito Style Floating Ball, ready to work out of the box, and I tell them: You can’t.

If you want this in your act enough to build your magic around it, to do your history homework, to take the extraordinary amount of time needed to develop your method and skills, you’ll have something wonderful… in the future.

The above posts have steered you to a lot of great resources, the rest is up to you.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
765 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 23:13, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Look around for Charlie Frye's take on the zombie. He has a routine where he uses a bowling ball. I suspect a similar setup could work for you.

Has Charlie Frye wronged you in some way?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My version: never released
http://magicians.podbean.com/village-ball/

I did two shows that day, they are both on this clip.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Ian, he was specifically looking for a large stage style floating ball not a zombie style. Thanks, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Six, how's the floating ball hunt going? Any luck?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22354 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I thought you may as well have this reference as well.

http://dennymagic.com/products/stage-mag......-hanson/
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
In 1913, Howard Thurston was playing Omaha, Nebraska and was invited by David P. Abbott to his home. Thurston brought Theo Bamberg (Okito) with him. Abbott did a demonstration of fake spiritual tricks that left them mystified. One trick in particular intrigued them and that was the floating of a golden ball. The golden ball was six inches in diameter and rose from a small pedestal and floated around the room.

Thurston wasn’t crazy about it because it required delicate manipulation and he was not willing to put the time in to perfect it. Plus, he felt it would slow the show down. Okito saw great potential in it and Abbott made him a present of the ball. Years later with the help of his son David, they improved the ball by making it lighter, but still looking heavy.

When Thurston saw the popularity of the trick had, he inserted the trick into his spirit cabinet routine. I don’t know how much of the explanation by Herman Hanson is close to the actual Abbott/Okito routine. But, I do know that the secret of the floating ball was not the rigging, but the artistry that both Okito and his son Fu Manchu infused into it. In their hands it was a thing of beauty.

I heard that Okito had special choreography for it. To get that would be a big find. I wonder if the Albo videos have that choreography in it. If it does, it would be work every penny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Floating a ball. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL