The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash Paper Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1104 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Has anyone tried sticking some flash paper on a dollar coin, lighting it & then flipping it?

I was thinking it could look pretty cool if the burn time expired as it hit your hand.

But then I thought it could be rather dodgy as it will probably heat up the coin & you could burn yourself.

Comments appreciated.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Are you asking someone else to try it first??
I think it will have stopped before it reaches your hand; in fact, probably before you can flip it.
I don't think it will heat up the coin: flash paper produces very little heat. I have found it impossible to get flash paper or cotton to ignite anything else.
Jolyon Jenkins
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1104 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
No, not asking for that, just wondered if someone had already tried it.

I think if you covered one side of a dollar coin it would burn long enough. I'll give it a go & see what happens.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1511 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 11:23, rjenkins wrote:
Are you asking someone else to try it first??
I think it will have stopped before it reaches your hand; in fact, probably before you can flip it.
I don't think it will heat up the coin: flash paper produces very little heat. I have found it impossible to get flash paper or cotton to ignite anything else.

This is very false
Flash paper creates a lot of heat! I have been seriously burned using it.
However, this depends on what "kind" of flash paper, and how much your using. I have found that black colored flash paper, burns hotter and longer than standard white.

The effect you are looking for can be accomplished by using black flash paper, because it will burn longer. Although, it (depending on how much used) burns hotter, it should heat up the coin that much(but this depends if your coin is made of a good conducting metal or not)
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
OK - I stand corrected. I have only used the white stuff.
Jolyon Jenkins
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1511 Posts

Profile of elimagic
No problems
I found out the hard way
Was doing a flash paper rose to real rose and did not expect it to burn differently than white colored paper. lit it up and a trip to the hospital later, I realized I had second degree burns from it.
do not use a full sheet of flash paper for that haha
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Ah well that is also quite a lot of flash paper! I am much too mean to use a whole sheet.
Jolyon Jenkins
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
By sticking the paper behind the coin you will retard the ignition which in your case is not good because you will not have the needed flash to cover the move.it will also leave residue on the coin.
personally I have only some non serious burns with flash paper and this happened when I tried something with glue on it.it retarded the ignition so an amount of it fell on my hand creating blisters.
the best thing to do in my opinion is the classic production of a coin with fire.you will not need set up,it will work easier and you will have best results.
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
Love berger's torn and restored cig paper with a prediction on it. I always right applause please which is what they are usually doing anyway.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
This is very false
Flash paper creates a lot of heat! I have been seriously burned using it.
However, this depends on what "kind" of flash paper, and how much your using. I have found that black colored flash paper, burns hotter and longer than standard white.

This is a very good point worth repeating!! Black flash paper burns slower and hotter! I have burnt myself and I accidentally caused a second degree burn to one of my assistants when using black flash paper. One of my dealers, spookclub.com, actually stopped carrying it due to hazard concerns and I have stopped using it all together because of my experiences.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 11:23, rjenkins wrote:
flash paper produces very little heat.

I totally disagree with that statement. Flash paper produces a LOT of heat. I should know because I'm the company director of http://www.flashmagic.co.uk. We deal with LOTS of flash products and to say that flash paper produces "very little heat" is just nonesense! Have you tried holding flash paper when it's igniting?

Neil.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2448 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Any additive to plain white paper will retard the burn time including colored flash paper and white paper that burns different colors. It seems the real problem with heat is in the concentration of the flash paper. If you wad a sheet up into a small ball it will burn fast and produce a heat that is concentrated in a very small area. If you take that same sheet of flash paper and lay it on a glass surface it will burn a lot slower and leave less heat in any specific area due to it being spread out. The retardation of burn time in this case is due to less oxygen being able to get to the back side of the paper.

If it is "stuck" to a coin the burn time will be retarded by only one side being exposed and the material securing it to the coin. Will that small a piece produce enough heat to be burned? If you left it on your hand with the flash paper burning against your skin, of course. Will it heat the coin enough while in the air to not be able to handle it? Probably not. Experiment safely, use a pyrometer to check the coins temperature when it hits the table and go from there.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash Paper Idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL