The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Handing out business cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Littleton, CO
103 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
How do you hand out your business card to people?
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I've gotten to a point where I only hand it out if they ask me for one. But if I'm performing close up then I say things like, "Have you ever been to an event where they hired speakers or entertainers?" and when I'm doing the swami I say, "Now in a second I'm going to ask you to count how much money you have, you don't mind doing that right? Ok because I was doing an event for X Company and the guy didn't want to count out the money for some reason."

The purpose is to create a context/frame around what I do. And by asking them if they have been to an event with speakers it lets them know that my fees range around the price of a speaker...not the price of a magician.

I prefer to have a high conversion rate rather than just handing my card to anyone so I will only give the card if they ask.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Walker, may I ask roughly how old you are? From your picture I wager you're rather young, and I think Benji may have missed that in answering your question. Also, can you be more specific about what you're asking? What kind of events are you performing at? How long have you been doing it? Just some general info about who you are and what you do will help us answer your question.

Best,

Brian
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Three ways I like to give out business cards (that I've done in the past):

1. CUSTOMERS. Give them to my customer at the show, when they pay me. I make sure that they were happy with the show first. I give them some cards at the same time I'm giving their receipt, and comment that they are in case other people at the party / event ask them about my services.

2. AUDIENCE MEMBERS. Give them to people who ask me for them, after a show (audience members). BTW, I give them to adults, not kids. I have a different souvenir giveaway for kids at shows.

3. SUSPECTS & PROSPECTS. Include them in mailings, when marketing for shows.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Littleton, CO
103 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 16:06, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
Walker, may I ask roughly how old you are? From your picture I wager you're rather young, and I think Benji may have missed that in answering your question. Also, can you be more specific about what you're asking? What kind of events are you performing at? How long have you been doing it? Just some general info about who you are and what you do will help us answer your question.

Best,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I am 13 years old. I'm asking mainly for walk around show. I have been doing magic for four years.

Tommy
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Tommy, that warms my heart. I teach magic all throughout central Connecticut and have many 9, 10, 11 year old students that I hope will be in your shoes in a few years.

Now to your question. You'll be performing strolling magic at an event. When you complete your set, simply say something like this: "Again, my name is Tommy. Thank you very much for your time. I hope you enjoyed it, and here are a few of my cards." Say it with a smile as you quickly hand out of a few cards, thank them again, and move on. That's all there is to it! At your age and with your probably limited experience, exposure, etc - hand out cards to everyone that you have performed for. Word of mouth and business cards are the quickest way to spread your business when you're just starting out.

You're welcome to shoot me a PM to discuss anything more in depth. I spend a good chunk of my time training young dedicated magicians just like you.

Best of luck to you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Handing out business cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL