The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cone and ball presentation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
180 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
For those of you looking for a way to justify your cone in a cone and ball effect, see the following link. It turns out that during the 1900's a version of the cup and ball game was played with a spring loaded cone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorian-Era-Paper-......0wt_1156

this fact might be useful for scripting the routine.

Cheers!
Matt M.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Thanks! You're right this can give motivation to the story line.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Good catch Matt.
Wonder if that game ever made it to the U.S.?

I'm still searching for the best ball/cone size ratio.
1 3/4 Fakinis are next. Billiard balls are a bit too big for me.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
In his book "Vortex", Tom Stone says he uses 1 3/4" superballs, or similar, and tells how to paint them any color you would want. He, also, found billiard balls a bit large, and harder to keep from flashing. I recommend the leather cone from Ambitious Card.

Mark
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Thanks, Mark. Vortex just arrived in the mail. Great book!
Also, George Millward produced a DVD on the effect. Unfortunately it is no longer available from Norm Nielsen.
I've heard that this DVD has a great wand spin tutorial as well.
-Charles Schulz
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Here is contact information for George Millward, who I believe has the DVD still available, perhaps in limited quantities.

"I have both the dvd and printed instructions if you want them send $3O.OO to George Millward 4735 Deckow Ln 2O Las Vegas Nv 89169" His e-mail is ghmmagic@hotmail.com

Mark
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Thank you so much Mark!
My long search may be over.
His great Youtube clip of this is no longer available.
Wish everyone could see it.
-Charles Schulz
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8517 Posts

Profile of funsway
Aldo has a complete set for $10, and a DVD for the reading impaired.

Both are excellent but use a cardboard cone --after all, wasn't the original a Thread Spool?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 08:29, jazzy snazzy wrote:

Regarding pool balls, there are MANY different sizes available, if you're willing to do a little looking around. For example, Mueller offers these:

http://www.poolndarts.com/p-3590-Miniature-Pool-Balls/

Those in the above ad are 1 1/2 inches diameter. I personally have seen them range from 2 1/4 inch down to marble size.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Thanks gentlemen. I'll try those as well.

An 18" Slydini silk seems to work well for this since it is more opaque.
My cone came from Frank's.
Those cardboard cones are available at Michael's craft store.
-Charles Schulz
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 08:29, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Good catch Matt.
Wonder if that game ever made it to the U.S.?

Hey Jazzy, vintage (and new) snooker balls (sets and singles and in various sizes) appear regularly on the big auction site. Two inch balls seems the most common size but 1 3/4 inch balls sometimes appear. Most often the sellers are in the UK or Australia so shipping to the USA is high, but if you are patient they turn up in the US as well. I've been after some just to try out. You can usually find decent sets for around twenty buck plus shipping. A set consists of ten red balls, one white ball, and six colored balls. Plenty of balls to play with for not much cash outlay. Sweet.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Matt,

It was great that you found this on ebay. Does anyone know if the "Paper Mache Cup and Ball Toss Game" went by another name in the Victorian era?
-Nate
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-04-10 23:04, Nate Green wrote:
Matt,

It was great that you found this on ebay. Does anyone know if the "Paper Mache Cup and Ball Toss Game" went by another name in the Victorian era?
-Nate

Yes. The game was called "Wiffling the Blodgett".

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 09:16, Mark Ross wrote:
In his book "Vortex", Tom Stone says he uses 1 3/4" superballs, or similar, and tells how to paint them any color you would want. He, also, found billiard balls a bit large, and harder to keep from flashing. I recommend the leather cone from Ambitious Card.

Mark

Vernon used a larger ball than that. I prefer a 2 1/8" snooker ball, but a 2" ball also works nicely.
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 08:47, funsway wrote:
Aldo has a complete set for $10, and a DVD for the reading impaired.

Both are excellent but use a cardboard cone --after all, wasn't the original a Thread Spool?

That depends on what you consider the original. Those conical cardboard thread spools aren't really as good as a leather cone. The thickness of the cardboard actually interferes with the moves.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Thomas,

Thank you for the info. Where can I find more information about this game? I tried to look it up with no luck.
-Nate
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't think you will find it on Google or Bing.

You might find it here http://tinyurl.com/4yk9kza
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Thanks for the tip, Bill. Unfortunately, no luck!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just found this web site that has Paper Mache Cones, in several sizes. I know leather is best to use.
http://www.thecraftshoppe.com/papermache.html
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 23:36, conjurormatt wrote:
For those of you looking for a way to justify your cone in a cone and ball effect, see the following link. It turns out that during the 1900's a version of the cup and ball game was played with a spring loaded cone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorian-Era-Paper-......0wt_1156

this fact might be useful for scripting the routine.

Cheers!
Matt M.

This actually is a game/toy for children still sold today for children summer fun. They come in large plastic basket type cones with a trigger that shoots the balls out. It is just another form of catch.

I think a lengthy explaination would slow down the magic to much. If you must justify the cone, just say, I bought this cone at the local craft store, and at the checkout counter, I picked up these balls as well. Let me show you some magic with these simple items. Continue with the effect.
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 14:09, Mark Ross wrote:
Here is contact information for George Millward, who I believe has the DVD still available, perhaps in limited quantities.

"I have both the dvd and printed instructions if you want them send $3O.OO to George Millward 4735 Deckow Ln 2O Las Vegas Nv 89169" His e-mail is ghmmagic@hotmail.com

Mark

Thanks Mark for the info, good thing I emailed George Millward, as his address has changed from the one you posted, still the same city. He said the price is $15.00 postage included. Sending a check off today.

I contacted Nielsen Magic and they said they could not get the DVD and did not know how to contact George and that he was performing someplace. George did respond to my email with a mobile device, so this may be somewhat true.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 4:27pm
Just received the Paper Mache Cones today. They look good for cardboard wrapped in brown paper. Now to decide how to cover them. I was thinking black contact plastic, or I have some leather left offer from an old project. I should have bought more then just 2 as I see I will have to make several to see what looks best.

Paint is an option, if the paper is primed with 'Bin' primer 1st. I have some 2" wood balls I got at the wood working shop. Now all the detail work.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
I couldn't resist. I have 5 original Hubley cones. He is the "Cone Genius"
Unfortunately his diabetes affected his eyesight and he retired from the work.
2 plain and three magic cones.

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 4:54pm
http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151....../Hubley/

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 4:55pm
Nice?

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 5:12pm
There is some meaning to the designs...here is John Hubleys letter

I'm off to Martha's Vineyard this weekend for a company party (Fri to Sun), but I'll doodle some designs on the boat and cut next week.

Yes, the letters are runes, Mordac (Norse that settled in Slavic lands in far Eastern Europe around 900 BCE) alphabet with my best estimate of the pre-Cyrillic spelling of a Slovak word "kla'klam" that essentially means "almost there, but not quite, maybe tomorrow, for sure by the next day, perhaps." I think it was actually somebody's name at one time (like Murphy's Law). My Grandmother used it to describe the way a little boy is always just about to do his chores, but never quite gets to it on his own. I stretched the idiom to mean "illusion" The literal Slovak words for illusion are ilu'zia, or prelud, or mylna' predstava, or iluzivny depending upon how it is being used, which of course as a uni-lingual, third generation (on that side) American, I have no idea which is correct when describing a magic trick. I used the idiom because in the Mordac tradition, it is supposed to be a "power" word.
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Very nice indeed.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cone and ball presentation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL