The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cone and ball presentation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-04-11 12:09, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 08:47, funsway wrote:
Aldo has a complete set for $10, and a DVD for the reading impaired.

Both are excellent but use a cardboard cone --after all, wasn't the original a Thread Spool?

That depends on what you consider the original. Those conical cardboard thread spools aren't really as good as a leather cone. The thickness of the cardboard actually interferes with the moves.

Now I stumble across this post, after I just "won" a couple of the cardboard cones on the big auction site! Oh well, less than three bucks with shipping. Where have all the old hippie leather crafters gone now that I really need one?
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think there are at least two people making leather cones. Frank Starsini is one of them. George Millward is another.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Found a Ball and Cone from East Coast Magic for only $42.50 plus postage. Looks like it may have come from Mak Magic, but for a complete outfit that is a great price. I emailed the store and it comes with 2" balls. See picture below.
---------------------------------------------------
As for paper cones, I have gotten paper mache cones from this site:
http://www.thecraftshoppe.com/papermache.html

I purchased the 7"x3" cone and just today received the 9.5" Fiberboard cone. They give fast service and both orders were under $5 each.

The paper mache is a stiff chipboard material, about 1/16" thick, the Fiberboard is almost an 1/8" thick. I bought the Fiberboard because when I cut the top on the chipboard so the ball can set on top, it got a little short looking.
----------------------------------------------------
If any of you are interested I started a topic on this subject in stage manipulation section of the Café here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#15

It seems that this was originally published in "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic" as a close-up trick, even though it was never performed in public as such a trick. Dai Vernon did lecture in the 1950's on this subject from his lecture notes of that time, but I find presentation of most lectures are not really close-up demonstrations. Do to the open left angle side of the trick, I do not see how this could really be considered a close-up trick in the full sense of the word. Vernon's notes are just that, an outline of the effect. Ganson does not go into the use of the effect as a close-up trick in the book.

Having said that, it may be a "retension of vision" vanish from that side if the move is expertly executed.

If someone has mastered this effect, it would be good to hear your experiences performing this excellent effect in a close-up environment. Anyone!!

Click here to view attached image.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2011-05-05 14:25, wmhegbli wrote:
If someone has mastered this effect, it would be good to hear your experiences performing this excellent effect in a close-up environment. Anyone!!

Nooooo, not yet. This one will take a while.
Good to see you're so excited about this.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Carnac
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Carnac
If you're looking for the George Millward DVD on Ball and Cone, try Denny's. I've seen it on his site. Very pretty routine....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cone and ball presentation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL