The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Getting back to the magic... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Hello Everyone,

I'm John Palazzo and after many years away, I am getting back to my love of and interest in magic.

My passion for magic started as a young boy of 10 or so. Houdini first "captured" me. Smile I must have read "Houdini's Fabulous Magic" by Walter Gibson a hundred times. I was then enchanted by Doug Henning- a terrific magician and entertainer. I could barely put down his wonderful book on Houdini.

And watching Slydini's performance on a Dick Cavett show-- WOW! Smile That's the kind of magic I wanted to do (and still plan to).

"Amateur Magicians Handbook" by Henry Hay became my sleight-of-hand bible for many years. My 1974 paperback copy is frayed and dog-eared and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My older sister would accompany me on the train or bus into Boston. I'd stay all day at Jack's Joke Shop or Hank Lee's. I loved it. That's were I began buying effects and books on magic.

My favorites that I have always returned to:

o Million Dollar Card Secrets - Frank Garcia
o Super Subtle Card Miracles - Frank Garcia
o Las Vegas Closeup - Paul Harris
o Modern Coin Magic - Bobo
o Closeup Card Magic - Harry Lorayne
o More Card Manipulations - Jean Hugard
o The Magic of Slydini - Lewis Ganson
o Scarne on Card Magic - John Scarne
o The Magic Book - Harry Lorayne
o Amateur Magicians Handbook - Henry Hay

I never really performed much, but back then that was OK. I was happy to read and try the magic on my own and take those trips to Boston.

Somewhere between then and now, high school, college, work, marriage, and family became my interests. Smile

But I'm recently back, and I plan to stay for good this time. I joined SAM #104 in Salem, MA. My first night there I enjoyed a terrific show and lecture by George Schindler (what a coincidence- George was editor for both of the Frank Garcia card books I have). And I am practicing and enjoying magic again.

I've been following and learning from the great posts here at The Magic Cafe. Time to join in and share in the fun... Smile

John
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hello John you are very welcome to this great site and you have some first class reading listed above I feel sure that someone as learned as you can only be an asset to us,also let me be the first to offer you a drink a seat and a chat.
Once again John welcome..
trevor. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Well met John!

Welcome back to the fold.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hi John! Welcome back! Magic was wondering just where the heck you had gone off to. Smile
Yakworld.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Welcome back to magic John, and thanks for joining The Magic Cafe!
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Excellent.
Good to have you, John.
What a place to come to for getting back into magic.
You will find some inspiring posts here that will make you wonder how you ever found the time to stop practicing in the first place.
Have another burger:
:hamburger:

See you around the Cafe,

Stephen
:carrot: Smile Smile Smile
Hello.
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Hi, John:

Greetings from a fellow Bostonian now living in California. It's been a while since I thought of Jack's Joke Shop. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Welcome to the Cafe and welcome back to magic!

-Marty
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Welcome Friend John!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder... or at least I found it that way with Magic.

Once away, but back to stay!

Glad to have you back among the folded.... er...uh. I mean .. the fold again! Unless of course in your card effects you do a mercury fold Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi John Smile Smile Smile
Thanks for a resume which is more than sufficient. We are glad that you are back...
I want to serve you a cup of strong Turkish Coffee on my bill while you are surfing in this beautiful Cafe.
Welcome to the family...
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Only one thing to say - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS -of course we will answer - when we can
But usually there is one who can!

Gawin Smile

P.S.
Nice to see one who holds the line!
M.P.D.
View Profile
New user
illinois
54 Posts

Profile of M.P.D.
hey john,
that sounds great! i hope you have a great time with everyone here at the magic cafe. see ya around!!!!!!!!
Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Welcome aboard, John.
Everything you mention, above -- books, effects, etc. -- are good, solid things for a good, solid grounding in magic.
You are obviously going in the right direction; any help you might want from this board will certainly be forthcoming.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Just a quick thanks to everyone for the good words and sentiments. The Smile and Smile are superb!

Talk with you again soon...

- John
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Greetings, John!

Good to have you back in magic. I'm moving to your neck of the woods soon...from Hawaii to Massachusetts!

Meanwhile, have another coffee on me. Smile

:sun:
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Welcome John, great to have you here. I'm sure you have alot to share with all of us.

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Getting back to the magic... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL