The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
4) Too many different sized fonts, which change between pages. Choose a size and stick with it.

5) There is tons of black space at the botom of the page. Delete it.

6) There should be a clear picture of you on your 'about' page.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24051 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
On the home page the end quotation is upside down.

On the corporate page add a hyphen between "close up" (close-up). Same thing on the weddings page.

Put a hyphen between "walkabout" in the title on the weddings page.

Have two different websites. One for entertainment, the other for corporate entertainment.

I love the logo, it fits good for corporate events. But it does not fit with weddings and restaurants. A manager giving an event at a corporate will not want a mixed entertainer, he wants a straight corporate entertainer. Imagine you wanting the best tires for your car. Would you go to a professional tire shop or a department store that sells tires and many other things from furniture to umbrellas.

And a soon to be bride will not want to hire a corporate entertainer. She would prefer someone her guest could understand more with entertainment.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thank you for your comments Gents.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24051 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are most welcome mate.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
On your media page, the video rides up a trifle too high on my browser (IE7) and covers your last name in the paragraph above it.

And I was kind of hesitant on the opening page - what do I do? It's not always obvious to someone to "click to enter".

Ed
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 17:14, Ed_Millis wrote:
On your media page, the video rides up a trifle too high on my browser (IE7) and covers your last name in the paragraph above it.

And I was kind of hesitant on the opening page - what do I do? It's not always obvious to someone to "click to enter".

Ed

Thanks for that Ed, what screen res are you using?

Derek

FACEBOOK
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Hi Guys, I've really enjoyed getting all this feedback. I've STARTED to tweek the website. Hopefully it meets your approval.

One question, if I keep the landing page as it is, where do you suggest I place the 'enter' hotspot / button ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

derek

FACEBOOK
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Your site looks great.

I would eliminate the landing page. I have never understood them, It is just one more thing I have to do before I see your page.

I believe it is a good idea to have your have a contact phone number and an email button on every page. I do not like having to look for a way to contact you.

On my computer you font is a little small. If you could bump it up a size or two that may help people to be able to read it better.

Over all I like the look very professional. As it is it looks good some tweaking will only improve the great start you have.

Gordon
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
Best to avoid landing pages as suggested, also you are basing an entire site on one image... it's a good
image but you need more. Get some promo photos done, lose the gallery and spread the action shots around the site.
Cheers,
Ade
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Get rid of the landing page (as everyone else has said)

More pictures, more video (get that ad off of their and put on your own video, I'm not really sure why you have ads on there)

Get some professional photos taken, put those up.

You've done great for making the site yourself! Best wishes!
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
When people land on your site they are looking for an entertainer. Make the first page a products outline with a description of the services you offer as opposed to the about page, if you get their attention and they wish to buy they will then explore the about page to learn more about you.
Nice clean site, I like it.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Hi guys, I genuinely appreciate ALL the great and constructive comments.

I am having new photographs taken in 2 weeks when I'm doing quite a high profile stage show.

So, apart from the landing page(still reluctant to let this go - I know, I know!) and the poor photos, let me know what you think of the site NOW.

Please remember it's still a work in progress - BE BRUTAL Smile

Thank you once again.

Derek

FACEBOOK
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
The gallery is OK - but I would prefer to see a pictures with you and spectators looking amazed/laughing/having a good time etc. Make me feel "everyone he works with enjoys themselves"

Nice site
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
1. The url for each page should be more descriptive than just ".../page ..." If nothing else, at least they should be "... /about.html", "... /corporate.html", etc. Even better would be "About_Derek_Heron.htm," "The_Answer_to_Your_Corporate_Entertainment_Needs.html", etc. Remember, on search engines, the first and last parts of the url will be displayed. Make it count for something.

2. The titles to the pages should be more than just "About," "Corporate," etc. They appear in the browser window and often are shown in search engine results. They should make people want to click on your site, rather than somebody else's. Something like "Impossible feats that are guaranteed to amaze and astound," "Providing entertainment for corporate leaders and business like yours,"

3. The corporate page should not be muddied with information about weddings, or private parties. The last half or so of the "About" page should be moved to the corporate page. The claim about 25 years experience in the entertainment industry should be on the "About" page on should be followed with how that 25 year of experience will be a benefit to your client. (Remember, sell advantages, not features; sell the sizzle, not the steak.)

4. Yes, weddings and other private parties should be on a separate site. This is likely what your corporate clients do with their products. (GM has a corporate site plus separate sites for Chevy, GMC trucks, Buick, Cadillac.) The wedding page only says you can entertain at weddings. It doesn't say why we should hire you rather than somebody else.

5. I don't think you need an "About" page; but if you have one, it can be used to make you seem human. Do you have a wife and kids? Did you go to school? Where? How did you come to be a psychological illusionist? What do you do in your spare time?

6. The gallery, as currently constructed, is useless. Even though I'm an insider, I still have very little idea what the pictures are about. Captions might help. The pictures should also sell the show. By the way, at least in print, people read captions more than text. The captions should also sell.

7. I happened to like the landing page, but I also think you shouldn't have one, for search engine reasons. If you do decide to keep it, either put "Enter" on it or put the menu on it. I wasn't sure if this was simply a "business card" or the first of many pages. Some people have just a single page website!!! And it is annoying that when I click "home" I get back to the landing page.

Hope this helps.

Thom
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Indeed it does help Thom, thank you very much for all your suggestions.

Derek

FACEBOOK
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Since nobody commented on Benji Bruce's great advice I will say something...

Its GOLD, now everyone go back and read it again...

No, but seriously, read it again!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis

FACEBOOK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL