The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini colors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard L.
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard L.
Hello all,

I have been considering purchasing some Fakini billiard balls for some time. Right now, though, I am not sure what color to get or if color really even matters.

I have thought about white, but I want to know if they get dirty over time.

Any advice would be appreciated.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Magicr, white always stands out with the black backdrops in some venues, although this can change, go with any bright colors, the Fakinis are Washable and do keep clean very well. Keep your hands clean, and you have a head start. but if you bounce them, then you will pick up some dirt. But these bad boys are very Durable, and easily clean up with soap and water, The colors hold for a very long time, just keep from storing them in the sunlight. Had mine for over 15 years.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fakini BB come in an aray of colors. Regular colors and Day Glow colors. This is such a personal color, as I am sure you have a favorite color of your own.

Next, think about your custom you will be wearing while performing your act. If you wear a white shirt for instantance, you don't want white balls. If you use red or what silks you don't want red or white balls. You want a contrast that will compliment each other. Addtionally, what backdrop have you chosen for your show. It should cause the balls to stand out from that as well.

You can contact the Fakini Company and get small sample pieces of the colors the make. This is an expensive investment, thus some thought should go into the purchase. Not may thoughts but your thoughts as you will have to live them for the next 25 years or so.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Richard L.
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard L.
Thank you all for your advice.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1802 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Henry Hay in _The Amateur Magician's Handbook_ writes (page 179 of chapter 8--Hand Magic with Billiard Balls): "The traditional color for magic billiard balls is bright red. There is an excellent reason for this in that the balls stand out against any background." On the other hand, white billiard balls tend to look larger than they are, probably due to the effect on the iris of the eye--making it close slightly--possibly because reflected white is (or at least seems to be) brighter than reflected red. You'll notice, too, that in the abbreviated ball manipulation that Cardini used in his appearance on "Festival of Magic," he chose to use a white ball rather than a colored one. Granted the broadcast was black and white anyway, but there were obviously other colors for him to choose from if he had been so inclined.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2011-03-30 01:22, Anatole wrote:
You'll notice, too, that in the abbreviated ball manipulation that Cardini used in his appearance on "Festival of Magic," he chose to use a white ball rather than a colored one. Granted the broadcast was black and white anyway, but there were obviously other colors for him to choose from if he had been so inclined.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

I can attest that red balls do look rather grey on black and white footage. White, on the other hand stands out excellently.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
180 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
According to Levent and Bill Palmer, Yellow is the best choice for standing out against most backgrounds, and being easy to see. to see this in action, check out Levent's billiard ball routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdGnGVwaTto

As already mentioned, you need to take all background surfaces into account when you chose color, that, or be willing to change all of the background colors to fit your balls.

Cheers!
Matt M.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini colors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL