The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
FYI,
I wanted a device to help me vanish half dollars cleanly in a stage/platform scenario, but I found that the one I like came with Copentro. I asked George Robinson of Viking Magic, and he came through! If you go to the Copentro listing at Viking Magic, you can use the "Select Product Option" list box to select "Coin Stand Only".

Keith

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1979
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
Cool.........Those are really nice coin stands.... enjoy!!!

mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
brian314
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
112 Posts

Profile of brian314
Keith,
Thank you for your post that was great information. I need the outer glass and was not aware Viking sold it alone.

Thanks again,
Brian
rghale
View Profile
New user
Robert Hale
29 Posts

Profile of rghale
Looks great. Nice to know they sell them separately.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I don't share the common enthusiasm for coin stands, even if this one admittedly is less crude than most.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Time to learn some elementary sleight of hand, even if you just use one coin and keep producing it and vanishing it as you"send it over" to Copentro. It's not all that difficult.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
M.Paul
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of M.Paul
The Best coin stand I have seen is from Five Of Hearts Magic in the UK (Colin Rose).Colins work is 1st class.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It is true that Colin Rose at Five of Hearts is not sparing efforts to make good quality material (and I'm a big fan of their high end work) and so is Viking with a different style. The difference between the two coin stands however is not very strong
http://www.fiveofheartsmagic.co.uk/index......ctId=142

I agree with Spellbinder: magic is worth learning minimal sleight of hand
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
BTW,
I put the stand on a black table, so I was considering painting the bottom flat black or maybe put black felt on it since right now the light color of the wood is visible from the front. With its really low profile, it should just blend into the table.

@Spellbinder:
I agree. A more clever way of using the stand is to take a coin, vanish it via sleight of hand, and when you return to take the next one, let the one in "fingertip rest" slide into the stand. Being right handed, I just keep the stand on my left and the dump is very covered.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Are there any good sources for routines utilizing a coin stand? The only versions I've ever seen really didn't come across as magical to me whatsoever...and I've never worked with one or seen the true workings. It just seems so obvious to me...am I missing something?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 16:47, KeithP wrote:
BTW,
I put the stand on a black table, so I was considering painting the bottom flat black or maybe put black felt on it since right now the light color of the wood is visible from the front. With its really low profile, it should just blend into the table.

@Spellbinder:
I agree. A more clever way of using the stand is to take a coin, vanish it via sleight of hand, and when you return to take the next one, let the one in "fingertip rest" slide into the stand. Being right handed, I just keep the stand on my left and the dump is very covered.

It would probably be less work to just revarnish it with darker varnish (and while you're at it to use a pochoir to do mainly the bottom part in darker varnish ending with a "two woods" Stand and a "lesser depth" illusion) before painting the feet and a fine line at the top in dull black
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
Andrew,
The coin stands that leave the coin vertical are not very deceptive. If you consider my technique where the stand is used for dumping after a sleight of hand vanish, they can be very deceptive. As far as routines utilizing a coin stand, I only use it for stand up and or platform routines, and often use them with another prop, such as...

Coin Tray and a Handkerchief
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=27

Coin Producing Tambour
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=172

Copentro
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1979

Silver Odyssey

Keith
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for the links, Keith! That coin try looks like a cool item!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
HI , Does anybody know who actually invented the "COIN STAND?

Thanks

Mickey Silver
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
IMO the individual coin stand now sold separately on George's site is not nearly as deceptive as the original Kline Copentro accessory.

This new one, while pretty, seems to follow along the old Abbott's Ultra Modern Coin Stand look, but without the deceptive quality of the black art paint design.

Julie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Keith, take a look at the item in greater magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I know this may sound like a silly question, but as anyone ever seen a clear plastic coin stand used on stage?

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
SydBeckman
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
93 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
Hey Cal. I don't know if it's ever been done but it's an intriguing idea. If the angles are correct it might work.
Syd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Stand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL