The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walkabout turned Stage Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
This is merely an assumption on my part so I'm in no way claiming that this is the rule, but I would think that anyone who brings in $4000 for a stage show isn't doing an act that they can pull out of the trunk of their car if they're asked to at the last minute. If I paid someone $4000 and they showed up with a few feet of rope and a deck on manipulation cards, I would assume they had kidnapped and hog tied the guy I ACTUALLY paid to do the gig. If you're commanding that kind of money for a performance, you shouldn't be ABLE to do ten minutes from it at the last minute.

Just my take on it, anyway.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of these situations stem from misunderstandings during the booking process that may have partly been our fault.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then let's improve the booking process, so these misunderstandings don't happen in the first place instead of trying to fix them later!

Here in lies the problem. MOST of the time that this happens (At least in my experience) it's because the AGENT messed up. How exactly are we as performers supposed to improve the booking process? This is something that we have no control over.

The best we could do at this point is do the best we can for the client and then to say something to the agent AFTER THE FACT. You notice I say "say something" and not "complain to" as this could cost you the services of the agent.

By the way, I like the way you would present this to the client, but again I don't know if you could do it like this if it is through an agent.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-03-30 16:56, Leland wrote:

Luckily they didn't mind card and coin magic.

Performers are supposed to transcend the props. As long as the props are visible enough to communicate the effect, a capable performer will have no problem.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I was booked for a corporate strolling gig and they said the stripper let them down at the last minute, "so could you...?"

I ran out to my car and got my pasties... the rest is history
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
My experience has shown me that a lot of the time the client does not really know what they need. Unless they are a party planner, your expectations and theirs may not be quite the same.

A typical example for a simple "balloon" gig has gone like this for me. While talking to the agent about what the client wanted, I was told to set up a spot to make balloons for the kids ( and adults ) and hand them out. After arriving at the party, for which I was well paid, I was asked to mingle with the crowd and make up some balloons as well as do some closeup magic. I was prepared do these things, although most Magicians I know would typically be prepared for this change in plans.

At the conclusion of the event, I was told that they would be very interested in using me for other events they sponsered throughout the year. I was also told that the person they had used the year before was " out of his element " and they were disappointed with the results.

We, as Magicians, offer a very unique type of entertainment. It is something many people have never seen before. Make that experience for your clients enjoyable, memorable and something they would love to see again. Trying to accomodate their needs is a part of every Magician's job.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have stuff in your trunk! If you are hired to do walk-around, have stage stuff in the trunk. If you are hired to do stage stuff, have a close-up kit in the car. If you are always prepared and versatile, you will virtually never have to turn a gig away.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I was at a dental trade show this weekend (I am a dental sales rep during the day). I mentioned to a couple of the vendors that having a magician in the booth could draw some folks.

As luck would have it, I had a deck of cards with me. As a result, at least one company is interested in hiring me for the next few trade shows that they are doing.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walkabout turned Stage Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL