The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Shawn Farquhar & Russ Stevens » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1528 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Could someone explain why the Shawn Farquhar & Russ Stevens thread has already been locked? I would have thought that taking into account the ethics issues raised all parties concerned would have been allowed to freely state their case.

Tony Curtis
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2240 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Yes but new issues have been stated due to his interview that should be addressed. The reply thread would have been the correct place for that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20032 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just think they didn't want it to get out of control and ugly. It has that potential. For example what is the over/under on this thread staying alive anyhow?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2n5H4vM9kM

Now it looks to me like he fed Dan the same shpeel...Mr F looses his cool a little. I wonder how many other people he has fed this story too.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I think its reasonable if the ops don't want people airing their private feuds in public on their forums.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Russ' point here and always has been is not about Shawn doing the close up routine as I am more than certain if Shawn when he sat down with the magician in Canada and watched the promo tape which Shawn I know for a fact! payed for half of the PAL conversion, containing the SOMH routine and had asked at that point if Russ would mind if he created a close up ambitious card routine using the music 'as he was very influenced" by watching this...Russ would have said sure and thanks for the compliment...however that has not been the case and Shawn has taken this route to stand by his misguided pr stating it was his idea from the outset.

Personally I think its a pride thing with Shawn and he knows he is wrong to claim this as his original concept and as it has gone on for so long to admit now he did what he did would expose his years of story telling and discredit some of his accolades...and lose face of course!

Russ tried to sort this out for years with him and for Shawn to go on camera like this recently says a great deal to me. His whole body language was wrong and in my experience when someone over explains is such flawed detail like the whole VHS subtitle thing which amazed me. Leon was not released on VHS until 1995 the opening of the movie in cinemas was 18th November 1994 so no way was the VHS even out...if you are going to talk BS at least do some research first Shawn...to me it says a lot. The heartfelt 'we where poor back then' story didn't cut it with me.

I will state I am not biased on this whole issue its just facts that I know from first hand. Yes I do know Russ and he does not know I am writing this post until he sees it here.

You have to liken this to a remix of an old music track....the re-mixers contact the original source for permission and then credit accordingly if they are ethical.

Shame on you Mr Far fetched for taking your years of lies to another level just to keep on top in the eyes of others while trying to stomp on Russ' reputation.

Make up your own minds..I know what the truth is.
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
We all kow what is the truth. Mr Far needs to finally admit it.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2644 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I've only seen one video of Farquhar doing the routine - does he always end with the cards from mouth bit? That ending totally ruined it for me.

Another vote from me for Russ, by the way. I'd never heard about the debate until he posted the video, but after watching it, as well as reading through past threads about this, my unbiased belief is that Russ is in the right here.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20032 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wait the most interesting thing I have read is that one of the FISM judges was a friend of one of the contestants. Hmmmm.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
949 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2011-03-30 18:36, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Now it looks to me like he fed Dan the same shpeel...Mr F looses his cool a little. I wonder how many other people he has fed this story too.

Whoa! Keep me out of this. I don't have an informed opinion one way or another regarding "Shawn vs. Russ." Since you brought it up, I will comment on "Torn To Pieces": Shawn has my blessing to perform, teach and market his routine. As far as I know, it was independently created, but it really wouldn't matter to me if it was directly based on "Crazy-8." What does matter is that Shawn credits my invention. Regarding your video of him loosing "his cool a little," I think it's out-of-context here and perhaps a bit mean-spirited. Perhaps Shawn is upset because he's being distracted off camera (as he mentions). Perhaps you don't realize how difficult it is to speak to a camera and do it well (as he does). Perhaps he was a little irked at me because I let him down when he had booked me for a major convention and I was unable to attend at the last minute (as well he should have be). Like I said, I can't comment on "Shawn vs. Russ," but I do know that Shawn has been supportive, understanding and professional regarding me and I appreciate it.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I have no intention of bringing you into this Dan I just found it interesting that the story goes pretty much along the same lines. I apologise if you think I intended as such
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
This dead horse has been flogged enough and there's nothing new here or in the other locked thread, except for a new accusation by Alan Rorrison which Dan Harlan has now cleared Shawn of (Alan - you really should have attempted to contact Dan Harlan to get his point of view before making another unsubstantiated accusation). Read the past posts and you'll see that for every accusation thrown at Shawn Farquhar he has supplied a reasonable response and explanation.

I wasn't there 16 (17?) years ago, and neither was anyone else making statements claiming they "know the truth". We have an unsubstantiated accusation and a reasonable response and explanation. Based on that and/or the relationship people have with the two parties involved, some people are taking one side and some are taking the other.

Get over it, it's ancient history, move on with your lives. Continuing any sort of debate on the topic harms the reputations of both parties and can negatively impact their professional life, as well as the entire community. If I were someone looking to book either of these gentlemen, and knew nothing about this issue, but found these sorts of comments when I do a Google search, I just might avoid them both. I don't know Russ but I've heard many good things about him. I've known Shawn for about 5 years and in that time have gotten to know him as a very good person who holds himself and others to a high level of ethics.

And by the way, other than the choice of music and the fact they both use cards, I see little similarity between the routines.
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
OOh by no means did I mean to drag any one in or make an accusation. I mearly pointed out that the situations was all too similar. I mean NO disrespect to Dan what so ever. I love and respect the mans work.

I am allowed to make observations and voice an opinion on them though
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Gordyboy,

Good to hear from you again!

I'd like to point out that Shawn decided to bring this up and made multiple comments when asked why I did what I did. You have read the threads and know that he knows that my issue is about seeing my video tape and then lying about it to me for years. He didn't once answer the question despite knowing, as you do, about the tape? Isn't that strange? There is much that is new in what he claims and they should be discussed. I love Magiccafe and understand their position, but Shawn Farquhar started this again, NOT ME and made statements that are untrue. I should have the right to correct them.

Why did he decide to start this all again?

Best wishes,
Russ

Posted: Mar 31, 2011 3:15pm
As a sidenote.

Mr. Harlan I am a big fan of your work and totally understand what you say about your position with Shawn Farquhar. My situation was the same as yours at one time, until I found out otherwise.

I'm sure that if you found out that all your interactions with him had been lies, you would also feel the same as I do.

Best,
Russ
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Gordyboy you have missed the whole point.

I personally am not taking any sides. but it seems you know better about who was around first hand back then and as a friend of Shawn's you seem to be defending something you have only his word for over the 5years friendship you have with him.
Shawn decided to drag this up not Russ and those of us who know the real story are just standing up for what is right.
It has gone on too long now for Shawn to admit the initial influence he had from watching Russ' VHS pal demo tape to create his routine...its not about the similarity its about simple courtesy which Shawn never showed Russ from the day he sat down and watched that tape.
Maybe you can explain the BS about the Leon film from your friend as an attempt to put some history to his creation.

Also put yourself in Russ' position on this before you jump in so fast telling people to get over it....Russ had got over it until your friend went on tape recently
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
Russ - the only part of the Reel Magic interview I've seen is the parts you posted, so I may not be able to put it all in context. Did Shawn bring it up, or was he responding to a question from an interviewer? I also have no idea how those specific interviews are done, if they agree on questions or topics in advance (??). I haven't spoken to Shawn in a few weeks, but in my perfect hindsight I would suggest that if someone did ask him a question about it, in my opinion it would have been best if he simply said it's been discussed enough in the past and let's move on.

Markparker - I don't think I'm missing the point at all. I've only stated the facts I know and I have not pretended to know who was around first, who knew what, or who saw what. You'll have to re-read my posts I guess. And yes, I am defending a friend who I have known for about 5 years, for something he is accused of doing well before I knew him, you're not saying anything that I haven't already stated. Why do you say Shawn decided to drag it up? Do you know that or are you assuming it because he answered an interviewers question (in which case it wouldn't be Shawn who "dragged it up"). I'm curious how you "know the real story"??? If you have conclusive proof then we're all waiting to hear what it is. The answer is that there is none, or we would have heard about it before now.

Russ - I think you understand where I'm coming from. I think you truly believe what you're saying and I'm not saying anything negative about you, nor have I in the past. But what if you're wrong? Hopefully you've truly reflected and considered the answer to that.

'I'd rather see a hundred guilty men go free then see one innocent man convicted'
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Well you stated neither was anyone else around at that time claiming they know the truth...well I was. I have known Russ for that long.

Shawn knows the magician in Canada who brought the tape back and he payed half of the conversion cost and sat down to watch it with him. (It is not my place to say who the magician in Canada is, if he wishes to come forward that is his choice)
You have ignored my point about the video subtitle switching off to substantiate his influence to create his routine.

Re: Interview
Maybe Shawn was asked the question but re-watch the interview and how he acts over the whole thing towards Russ. Just put aside that he is your friend for a moment.

I will say it once again... all it would have taken was for Shawn to contact Russ back then and discuss what he wants to do after taking the influence from Russ' manipulation routine...its simple courtesy that never happened and Shawn has chosen to stand firm that is was his idea still to this day. In our small community we all take influence from others and all it takes is an email, phone call etc and some crediting to make sure the inspiration is recognised with permission from the creator.

I am sure you are very Pro Shawn because he is your pal but I can assure you if Russ was wrong I would say so! its not about who you know its a simple truth matter that Shawn will never face up to.
Russ has every right to defend his name over the interview content.

Shape of my heart was released in 1993 and only appeared on Leon late 1994. Shawn saw Russ' routine before he 'watched' Leon that is fact.

What if you are wrong...have you considered that? You have stated the facts you know.. so Russ and anyone else who knows what is what has the right to correct that as they see fit...free speech and all that.

This whole thing may appear pointless to some and the truth stings the pride but hey it is what it is.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Danny Doyle said: "Wait the most interesting thing I have read is that one of the FISM judges was a friend of one of the contestants. Hmmmm."

Danny, almost all of the contestants at FISM had friends on the Jury.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If the horse is dead, why is its tale being flogged for all and sundry in public?

IE - who dug up the horse and why the surprise if some say it stinks?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Shawn Farquhar & Russ Stevens » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL