The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Strolling billiard balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'm working on an original billiard ball routine for a strolling setting.
It's a rainbow routine combined with a one ball routine with a comedy kicker ending.

Anyone else do a strolling routine?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of noland
I've never seen a magician perform billiard balls under close-up conditions, let alone strolling. I think it's a neat idea. Having said that, there is a close-up billiard ball routine described in Harry Riser's "The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser," on page 257. Harry's handling of the shell was specifically adapted for angle-challenging close-up conditions.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Thanks,
I've read that routine. My routine uses no shell at all. I'm not really fond of them except on stage.

The reason I like billard balls so much is that they are a very natural prop.
You can also adapt the routine to non-ball routines with found props such as fruit, large dice or anything that's laying around.

Billiard ball skills can go a long way to developing an impromptu routine with just about anything.

Al Leech has some interesting billiard ball routines in one of his booklets.

My ending is not one that I could do over and over at a strolling gig because it would be too visible to everyone.
I need to take a Bob Sheets idea and come up with a lesser kicker ending to use until just the right time.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes, "Al Leech's Legacy" is the book I recall having a routine with some nice ideas for covering the bad angles.

I've never done Billiard Balls in a walk-around setting, but did once see a magician doing them in a bar.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
I use them for strolling. I also ungimmicked balls. They're 1 3/4 inch plain colour hi bounce balls. Smaller balls like this make the angles easier to deal with.
They go down very well indeed. You're right Frank, they are a beautifully natural prop.
I like to play a bit bigger strolling than some magicians do. I have a wand routine that is great for strolling too
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5705 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Harry Riser's routine was impressive, having seen it many years ago in a close-up setting. He used a red, wooden P&L set.
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Neal,
Where did you purchase your hi bounce balls from if you don't mind my asking? I have been looking for some that size in a solid color and it seems the only ones that I can find are either to small, too big or multi-colored.

Regards,
Nate
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I found the quest for solid colored high bounce balls difficult. But, I took the plunge and received a set of white Fakinis and 1 red Mirage ball yesterday. Boy, are they nice.

Mark
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Gee Frank,

I apologize for an earlier posting. I thought you were kidding about the Strolling Billiard Balls.

-Mary Mowder
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Nate,
I found mine in an independent toy shop in a west yorkshire market town. They didn't have any the last time I looked.
They weren't plain when I bought them though, they looked like pool balls (stripes and numbers) I found I could remove the white paint by rubbing them. The paint rubbed off as if it was latex.

They are not quite as grippy as fakinis but they are quite manageable. They are great for walkaround as you don't mind bouncing them off dirty or rough floors and they are small (and only 70pence each!)

I wouldn't want a set of Fakinis as small as that.
I have an Italian hollow silicon set of 2 1/4 inch for stage.
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Mark,
I think that I will also be taking the plunge and getting some Fakinis.

Neal,
Thanks for the info. Having another set for walkaround that doesn't cost as much as the Fakinis makes sense.

-Nate
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Strolling billiard balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL