The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ending My stage show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Ok, this is to anyone with a creative mind/A stage performer. I have been doing my kids show (same one pretty much) for about 5/6 monthes. At almost every show I do at my ending trick they don't know its the end because its not one of those tricks that ends with BANG and shows that its the final and best effect of my show. Honestly I have been using Peanut Butter and Jelly as my ending...and that's not a BANG, that's just a good trick. I want to open with PB&J instead of close with it. I have been saving for about 2 monthes and im up to $200 in my own account and have been having some trouble picking out an *illusion* (not an effect) to end my show with. I figured for $200 I could find a good one easily. It hasnt been very easy so what im looking for is any suggestions as to what you may do or what you'd want to see a 15 year old magician end his kid show with. Any help is appreciated! Thanks a lot, Josh

Oh Yea - No rabbit productions!
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Well, I'm 15 so I'll tell you a little about my show.

I open with a bowling ball production with a great routine that completly breaks any ice there might be, has a story, and also kind of starts the theme of getting the kids to believe in magic.

I do 1-2 card tricks in my routine, but each one is only the selection of the card, then the rest is very good for children.

I also do effects like vanishing bandanna, strat-o-sphere, coloring book/vanishing crayons, and PP & J.

My closing effect is my longest routine using a change bag, my version os the baffling underwear trick (mine has scooby do undies in it), 2 kids, and an adult.

It starts out with my showing the 2 scarves, and tieing the knot, and asking the adult to tuck it down the front of their pants. I then do 20th century silks, then goes into my change bag routine. I have a card selected (forced), and the deck set aside. I then produce a silk from a TT which has a big blank card on it. I then go back and forth between the kids where one can pull the silk out, but the other cannot. I finally go back to the kid that cannot find the silk and tell him "ok, I'll show ya how it works, you see that zipper on the bottom of the bag? Go ahead and unzip it." I then stick my hand thru and say "Hi, how you doing (kid's name), are you enjoying the show? That fantastic! But you see (other childs name) over here can still find the silk and your still having some trouble." Now I stick my hand in the changebag and show the silk one more time, then switch the bag over and drop a different silk into the empty compartment from a different TT. I then go over to the kid that couldn't find the silk, and he pulls out the silk with the card on it.

There is a bunch of the routine I didn't post here, mostly dialog.

So then, I look back at the adult, and tell each kid to hold one scarf, and on the count of three, it will penitrate the adult. I take this moment to tell the adult about all the things that might go wrong and where they might feel a sleight tingling. So then the kids pull, and out flies the scooby doo undies.

That's how I finish my kid show.

I hope this helps or gives you some ideas!

Regards,

Evan
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
A nice inexpensive way to do it. I just may have to try that (but with my own routine!). Thanks man! Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Sure no problem. I agree it is very inexpensive, but it sure gets a good bang!

Regards,

Evan
Dave Campbell
View Profile
New user
Naperville, IL
51 Posts

Profile of Dave Campbell
Evan,

That is a fantastic routine!! You show some real imagination and talent to put all those effects together.

Nice Job.

Dave

JS,

As far as a $200 illusion, how about the mutilated parasol. That is priced in that range I believe.

I personally have normally closed my kid shows with the torn and restored newspaper. Their jaws just drop when I produce the restored newspaper.

I am considering moving that trick to the middle of the routine and developing a routine with a dove pan and baking a cake...etc.

Although I really like Evan's use of the change bag and the 20th century silks.

So much to consider....thats what makes this so fun.

Dave
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Josh,

Try saving up to invest in the Chair Suspension. That way you can't loose.
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Hi JS,
I second Dynamike's suggestion. With your $200 now safely tucked away in a safe place, you're just $226 away from your Chair Suspension.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Dave Campbell
View Profile
New user
Naperville, IL
51 Posts

Profile of Dave Campbell
I see a lot of people talkingy favorably about the chair suspension. Where does one procure that particular item?

Is it for stage only.....or can you perform it in a living room setting? How close can spectators being without seeing what they are not supposed to see.

Thanks in advance.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I close my kids show stage or otherwise with the pom pons. For me closers on stage must have several criteria for maximum apllause.

1. the climax of the trick must occur with me alone on stage

2. it must be a strong trick that reallly pushes your character

3. it must have a clear and definite finali

4. I the final line of patter must make them laugh/ giggle as this kick starts the aplause actually I am aiming for the effect to reach it's visual climax and for the audience to be baffled then the final line of patter to kick the laugh and applause.

Phillip
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
It can be performed both on stage and in a living room setting (birthday parties). In fact, some magicians use this illusion as the main "benefit" of their b-day party package, as in : "I'll float the birthday child during his/her party." or "Excellent photo opportunity when I float your child..." Parent don't seem to mind the fine distinction between "float" nd "suspension" when it's time to do the illusion. They are just glad to snap pictures of their child suspended on a chair.

The chair suspension is not a major mindboggler, but in my opinion much superior to the Flying Carpet when it comes to angle and believability. Can be performed very close, as in 3 ft. away, but you need some elbow room to move around if you want to add choreography to your presentation.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
The chair suspension is not a major mindboggler, but in my opinion much superior to the Flying Carpet when it comes to angle and believability. Can be performed very close, as in 3 ft. away, but you need some elbow room to move around if you want to add choreography to your presentation

HI,
I think though as I have said elsewhere the major problem with kids and a chair suspension is that the kid needs to lie down.... they tend not to like this.. it scares them. often they will try and get up half way through (even if not scared they want to see the trick too) this will cause the balance to shift and the rig to tip often the kid will just slide to the floor like a kiddies slide, However once in a blue moon the gimmick will disengage then ou could have a very bad injury. If you do the chair suspension for kids bear this in mind and make sure you have insurance. I myself don't see many magicians perform and I have seen 3 different performers that had a chair suspension tip. when I did use the flying carpet I never found angles a problem even in living rooms. but there we go each to their own.

Mind you I would not use either of these effects as a closer myself as there is to much to do after the climax.. Ie replace the chairs/or boards dismiss the child .... too messy for a good finish in my opinion
Phillip
Phillip
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Quote:
On 2003-08-06 21:03, Dave Campbell wrote:
Evan,

That is a fantastic routine!! You show some real imagination and talent to put all those effects together.

Nice Job.

Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave!

Regards,

Evan
Dave Campbell
View Profile
New user
Naperville, IL
51 Posts

Profile of Dave Campbell
Ben and Phillip,

Thanks for the info on the chair suspension.

Dave
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
You could end with a routine to music and a production of a large silk.
I think the best end to a kids show birthday is a rabbit. But!! this is not the end all, You could end with anything that leaves the birthday child with something. Like a magic kit, a group picture, A giant balloon animal, wandering cd with the child's picture on it, "Grand finally we make Jimmy disappear!"
You could always say "Did everyone have a good time? On the count of three lets say thank you to Jimmy for inviting us to the best Birthday party on the planet today. One Two three..... And now for the grand finally By far the most dangers, the most exciting the most incredible trick ever.... (you fill in the blank)" Music starts and your off, or you start your rabbit production. The bottom line is build it up and tell them it is the end. For my last routine I need three helpers.....
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
For my standard Kids show I usually finish with my Linking Ring Routine.

For my Wizard School shows I end with a version of the Cords of Fantasia which is used to explain the rules of Quidditch.
I use blue ropes (to represent the sky) which are tied around a small broomstick. Six Golden Hoops representing the goals are then threaded onto the cords followed by two black balls (the bludgers) a red ball (the quaffle) followed by a gold ball with wings(the golden sitch).
I get the kids to call out the names of the various balls and how many points there worth and whay position is responsible for managing what ball.
It plays very big yet packs small.
In the end the Golden Goals penetrate the ropes.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I end with a simple sponge ball routine. I call the BD Child up and show them a "magic test" I was given when I was young. (Cue Harry Potter music) I warn them that it only seems to work for kids. I place a yellow ball in my left hand, close it, turn it over, and wave a wand over it while reciting a small rhyme that tells them I will multiply the ball into two. When I turn my hand back over and open it, there is only one.

Then I give them the ball and the wand and have them do it. When they turn their hand back over and open it, there are two balls.

I then try it again, but say I will multiply the one ball into four. Again it fails and again, when the BD child does it, it works. I then say that the wand was obviously meant for him/her so he/she can keep it. If this is a "Deluxe" party, I also say that he/she passed the test and I can now give them something their parents asked me to give them. I then hand them a magic set.

You don't need an illusion to close a show and, in fact, some of the ****piest closing effects I've ever seen were big boxes.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Funny flourish dude, the only way I have been able to signal it's the end, is by saying;

"AND NOW HERE COMES THE TRICK YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR......................
The last one.

You know after seeing thoughts from here and another message board site I said the same question too, I'm thinking, I'm going to limit myself to $100 and figure out 2/3/4 different effects/props (could even be some I already have) and I'm going to put together one long comedy filled good ending routine. I would hate to ask for more suggestions but I'm going to try and put 2 and 2 together to make one nice ending routine - a thought I had already was, use all of my oversized props in this routine somehow... they ALWAYS get a laugh!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also second the chair suspension. I love mine and have used it to end a lot of my b-day party shows. It works for me on several levels:

- It packs down flat and is easy to travel with

- It can be set up and performed in front of anyone without anyone seeing anything.

- Perfect chance for me to take a polaroid of the child floating
with my name and number on the back

- It's very easy to perform in a living room or any room at a house

- The angles are not much of a problem

- The effect is very strong and startling

Overall it just is a great illusion to use in a b-day party setting. If used well, it certainly can be a selling point for the show. Parents love the fact that their child will be levitated during the performance and they look forward to it.
-
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
After watching Mark Daniel's video tape and seeing him in person at the Kidabra Conference, I see he ends his show with a powerful sentimental closure, which he now markets.

He thanks the guests and the star, and leave them with some power motivational thought as he produces stars that float down from the ceiling to the Disney tune, "Wish Upon a Star". The routine is a powerful closure to any act.

This type of closure is occuring more and more among professional magicians.
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Den points out an interesting thing here. Not only is this a nice closure effect, but it is a "personality" piece as well.

Denny Haney of Denny and Lee Magic did a lecture a while back that really stuck in my head. It was all about structure and pacing in your shows. He commented on the importance of breaking down the invisible barrier that exists between your audience and you - that an audience can really learn to appreciate the show and you more if you can somehow break down this barrier.

He said that one of the best ways to do this is through the use of a "personality" piece in your show. This is a routine or act that allows you to touch the audience on an emotional level and allows the audience to see you as they see themselves.

After the "personality" piece, the audience should realize you are the same as they are. You have the same problems to face and you share the same emotions they share. Because of this, the audience learns to relate better to you.

The routine that Den mentions above fits this mold perfectly. It is a personality piece that touches on the emotion of setting and reaching for your own goals. Because we all have goals to reach, the audience can relate better to what he is performing.

I just thought I would share this with the group. It is a powerful tool to be used in any performance and it really does work.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ending My stage show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL