The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bending the real - Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
ranilperera
View Profile
New user
North London
66 Posts

Profile of ranilperera
@NFW The Sankey Sander sessions were pretty good, so were the secret files DVDs. Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Got both of them. Especially love secret sessions! No wait a second! Sankey Sanders is one I wanted but could never get. I have Sankey Skutt, though.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Daffydoug you might want to see this weeks wizard product review before you buy Hardcore...

Thanks Ranilperera.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I Googled it and it gave me a link to the review for June 2010! Reviewing The Hawk and Wow.

Could you give me a link to the current review?
ranilperera
View Profile
New user
North London
66 Posts

Profile of ranilperera
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks! You may have just saved me some bucks!
ranilperera
View Profile
New user
North London
66 Posts

Profile of ranilperera
No problemo! How was the Sankey / Scutt DVD? Recommended or not? Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Sankey Skutt? I enjoyed it. Not bad Not bad at all.
Silent
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Silent
Ok, so finally the magic Café allows new registrations. I'm only here to criticize BTR.

Everyone here knows the hype on this product was huge (youtube videos, chatroom meetings, etc) and I agree with the general consensus that this product failed to live up to its hype. I was one of the unlucky pre order buyers. This is going to be a bit long, so bear with me. For my readers' sake, I concluded all my points in my last paragraph, although you won't catch my point of view of this travesty of a product.

For $35 you're paying for pranks, rehashed Sankey material, and glorified bar stunts. If you're thinking about this product, just look up pranks and bar stunts on the internet. You just saved yourself $35 and became a "bender" (sorry that is the last time I use that term because I consider it a marketing ploy).

Why couldn't Jay have expanded his philosophy any more? Why was it 8 pages of two tiny booklet? I might as well remind you that if you didn't preorder, you are receiving 4 total pages (sans the bonus booklet). If it was so revolutionary, why couldn't it have been 80 plus pages? Marketing is the answer. The descendent trick didn't even contain the hard to make part, just the nibs. False marketing at its finest.

The annoying techno music and the weird filming style was the icing on this pile of trash. The actor/actress were spewing nonsensical catchphrases. Seriously? You could have spent the time to work on subtleties to make the effects better. And please don't say simple is better, concentrate on the effect, blah blah blah. This may be the first Sankey product I owned, but his previous work supposedly covered subtleties to maximize the trick's effect to the spectator. In other words, Jay could have put in some more work, subtleties and theory wise, onto this DVD but chose not to.

As for Michael Kras, let me say I admire your opinions on the product. They beat all the silly comments like, BTR was the best (most commonly seen on Jay's youtube channel) or BTR was the worst. At least you gave your reasons as to why you liked the product. However, can you honestly look in my eyes and tell me this product was worth $35? The hype couldn't live up to what it promised (a revolution in magic?), there were rehashed effects (negates purchases of previous Sankey products), a lot of the effects could be looked up off the internet, most of the philosophy Jay gives out is on his Youtube page. Really? How can you justify spending $35 on a product when most of the material you paid with your hard earned money can be found for free or were in prior releases? It confounds me....

Before I conclude, I think you should look at Jay's youtube channel. First off, pause the annoying video designed to lure curious BTR buyers. Then look down in the comments. You'll find Jay has yet to address someone who won a free BTR video in the giveaway. You might as well screen the comment before Jay deletes it. Apparently the guy bought a BTR DVD even though he was supposedly going to receive a "free" DVD?

This product is going into the drawer for me. I think I can speak on behalf of the general population that this product:
a) Didn't live up to its hype
b) Wasn't worth $35 for the effort, effects, and the abysmal video productions Jay Sankey put into this project
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Silent,
the BEST first post I have ever read on the Magic Café...PERIOD. Welcome to the Café, glad to have you here. You touched on a lot of the points I made in posting to this thread and I for one appreciate you taking the time to register on the Café so you could make the above post. I look forward to reading your future posts, I'm always a fan of "keeping it real", not always what you find here.

Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Thank you for acknowledging my thoughts. Let me clarify one aspect of my thoughts... I will not be able to completely say whether or not this product was worth $35 because I didn't pay for it. I won a pre-release copy at Jay's BTR Youtube Event when the product was first launched for pre-order (I can honestly assure you, however, that this did not affect my review of the product and I reviewed based on an honest opinion. I feel the need to clarify this because I typically hear of people feeling as though they are required to write good reviews of products they obtain for free). So, having not paid for it, I of course cannot day for sure whether or not the product would be worth $35 to me as I personally did not spend the $35 on it.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Michael,

If you don't feel you can say whether BTR would have been worth $35 to you, perhaps compare the quality of its material to other DVDs you own that you consider "good". Do you feel that BTR is on par, above, or below them?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
If I have to generalize, I would say I have plenty of better DVDs than Bending The Real... but I have some really excellent DVDs sitting of my shelf. BTR isn't my favourite DVD, or even my favourite Sankey DVD, but I happen to like it a lot for what it is.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Silent
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Silent
Thanks Astrocity. I could say the same to you with your post on page 4. As for future reviews, to be blunt, this product made me want to stop buying magic products altogether. It made me realize I am susceptible to good marketing (hats off to the Sankey machine). I can review other products if you so please, but they are old products (True Astonishments, On the Spot by G Wilson, etc)

Quote:
On 2011-06-03 15:18, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Thank you for acknowledging my thoughts. Let me clarify one aspect of my thoughts... I will not be able to completely say whether or not this product was worth $35 because I didn't pay for it. I won a pre-release copy at Jay's BTR Youtube Event when the product was first launched for pre-order (I can honestly assure you, however, that this did not affect my review of the product and I reviewed based on an honest opinion. I feel the need to clarify this because I typically hear of people feeling as though they are required to write good reviews of products they obtain for free). So, having not paid for it, I of course cannot day for sure whether or not the product would be worth $35 to me as I personally did not spend the $35 on it.

I would like to poke holes in your claim that you offer a honest opinion in your review despite receiving Bending the Real for free. I'll remind you all again, I never had a Jay Sankey product before BTR. This product was supposed to revolutionize magic. I gave Jay the benefit of the doubt that his $35 DVD will do just that. The rehashed material doesn't apply to me here (I'll admit those effects were good), but for those who have paid for the rehashed material, I think it will.

I'll reiterate again: Why did we pay $35 for a product where we can find most of the information on his youtube page, off the internet, and may have already had?

My point is even though you, Michael, claim you offer a honest opinion, you cant see from our point of view that we had to pay money. Your review doesn't and can't understand the $35 factor. Since you got your information for free you can accept the good material while disregarding the useless.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Good Marketing ???

You know I have to fervently disagree with that.

Where people get burnt is by the over enthusiastic encouragement of others to buy effects.

I haven't bought a Sankey Product in an age because this re-hashing is nothing new . And every time I see any of Jays BS advertising it washes off me like water off a ducks back. BUT...there are the usual suspects every time who jump in and egg each other on with "this is the best thing ever" blah blah blah.

A 2 year old should be able to see through Sankey now regardless of how good or not his advertising is.

Some pointers for the hard of understanding

On the Sankey site filter through the effects---see how any are beginner, intermediate or advanced--can you see they are mostly beginner---are you a beginner? no ?. So potentially only buy an effect if you are the type of dope that needs Sankey to spell out to you the multiple effects you could do with a shuttle pass -- i.e. look here's a trick that, when I pass this coin from one hand to the other, something magical happens. And now here's a new trick where something magical happens when a pass 2 paper-clips from hand to another. Its the same basic trick !!! But for people who can't make the leap then Sankey is your man.

Look at the free videos on Jay's site ---like em much--kind of thing a idiot with half a brain could have thought of---happy with the concept that these videos were once sold to people as effects on earlier DVD's. yes this is the stuff people have raved on in the past. Really !!!

Incidentally the effect on the site for free at the moment is from Strong Medicine and again is one for the unimaginative. You tear a corner off a bill it appears somewhere else, then you restore the bill. But the underlying principle is one that everybody knows...this is just a minor variation on it. In fact its almost as if Jay is selling 101 tricks with a TT individually and the suckers are lapping it up.

So great marketing--No. Idiot Purchasers ---Yes.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I agree with you Ray. I can see Sankey coming from a mile away these days. He is like a method actor with only one role. e squints his eyes, compresses his tiny frame even further and starts to speak in a sort of staccato fashion as if he is about to explain what it all means.

What does it all mean, listen close, I will tell you. Sankey is dried up creatively but he still has a family to feed. So, he turns to this.
Rehash of old products and fake messiah-like statements of changing magic.
I wish he would go back to standup comedy, he's actually pretty funny.
James

Quote:
On 2011-06-04 02:30, Ray Chelt wrote:

And every time I see any of Jays BS advertising it washes off me like water off a ducks back.

Still with the Chinese circus Smile
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Michaelmystic2003 - see what happens when you drink too much of the Sankey koolaid, apparently by the pitcher full.
Silent
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Silent
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 02:30, Ray Chelt wrote:
Good Marketing ???

You know I have to fervently disagree with that.

Where people get burnt is by the over enthusiastic encouragement of others to buy effects.

I haven't bought a Sankey Product in an age because this re-hashing is nothing new . And every time I see any of Jays BS advertising it washes off me like water off a ducks back. BUT...there are the usual suspects every time who jump in and egg each other on with "this is the best thing ever" blah blah blah.

A 2 year old should be able to see through Sankey now regardless of how good or not his advertising is.

Some pointers for the hard of understanding

On the Sankey site filter through the effects---see how any are beginner, intermediate or advanced--can you see they are mostly beginner---are you a beginner? no ?. So potentially only buy an effect if you are the type of dope that needs Sankey to spell out to you the multiple effects you could do with a shuttle pass -- i.e. look here's a trick that, when I pass this coin from one hand to the other, something magical happens. And now here's a new trick where something magical happens when a pass 2 paper-clips from hand to another. Its the same basic trick !!! But for people who can't make the leap then Sankey is your man.

Look at the free videos on Jay's site ---like em much--kind of thing a idiot with half a brain could have thought of---happy with the concept that these videos were once sold to people as effects on earlier DVD's. yes this is the stuff people have raved on in the past. Really !!!

Incidentally the effect on the site for free at the moment is from Strong Medicine and again is one for the unimaginative. You tear a corner off a bill it appears somewhere else, then you restore the bill. But the underlying principle is one that everybody knows...this is just a minor variation on it. In fact its almost as if Jay is selling 101 tricks with a TT individually and the suckers are lapping it up.

So great marketing--No. Idiot Purchasers ---Yes.

First off, I haven't had the experience you had dealing with Jay. I mean I've heard of him, but never bought his products or experienced his marketing strategy. But when he proclaimed he was going to revolutionize magic I bought into his claim. I don't normally preorder products (I usually wait and analyze reviews) but I gave Jay the benefit of the doubt.

I went against my better judgement by belieivng the free videos he posted (reconnected, etc) were just the easy tricks and there were better tricks. Believe me, I agree most of the stuff on Bending the real is easily backtracked to figure out the method. I can't comment on what you say about Jay's other products since I haven't watched those videos.

He does have great marketing and I will analyze his technique in retrospect. He lures in buyers by saying there will be a bonus that only people who preorder can receive. He's introducing the concept of loss into the buyers. He harangues buyers with social media such as youtube and twitter. If you look at his twitter, he makes claims like 99% more emotional than card tricks, buy Btr, etc etc. I somewhat suspect the annoying techno music was designed to serve as a Pavlov type of training so that every time you hear that sound you think of Jay Sankey. How he describes his products (Waterfalls, tightropes) are to pique curiosity. He makes appearances in chatrooms with the condition of winning a free product to get people talking about his product, make them interested so they will buy it.

I should have mentioned this before, but I'll do it now. Every business, even non profit is out to make money and not go out of business. So yes in a sense, Jay is out for the cash. So please don't deny that Jay Sankey is producing Bending the real for the sake of magic. Why else would he use the marketing strategy I described above.

Once again, not everyone has your experience in seeing through Jay Sankey, Ray. I fell for his bogus claims and backwards rationalized that the crap I saw was just the outliers in a very good product. At least I learned something about Jay and to not buy his products again.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Silent :-

2 Things ---

I am not sure you can accuse Sankey of bonus claims--yep he gets over excited and uses language that may over sell his creations but on the other hand, with his demos etc etc., you can see exactly the kind of thing he's offering.

And by your own admission you saw that also and rationalised it away.

So hard luck but I still stand by the fact that Jay isn't co-ercing people into buying his stuff , its people getting ridiculously excited about the hype without looking past it. And to his credit its a darn sight easier to see past Jay Sankeys hype than it is with other sellers out there.

So I don't buy the misleading advertising or the psychological pushes...I just buy that people get excited for the next new thing...when in reality there hasn't been much new in Magic in the last century.
Silent
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Silent
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 10:25, Ray Chelt wrote:
Silent :-

2 Things ---

I am not sure you can accuse Sankey of bonus claims--yep he gets over excited and uses language that may over sell his creations but on the other hand, with his demos etc etc., you can see exactly the kind of thing he's offering.

And by your own admission you saw that also and rationalised it away.

So hard luck but I still stand by the fact that Jay isn't co-ercing people into buying his stuff , its people getting ridiculously excited about the hype without looking past it. And to his credit its a darn sight easier to see past Jay Sankeys hype than it is with other sellers out there.

So I don't buy the misleading advertising or the psychological pushes...I just buy that people get excited for the next new thing...when in reality there hasn't been much new in Magic in the last century.

Once again, I think you have more experience with Jay than I do. You may not have fell for his marketing because you probably thought Jay Sankey? Nah, scam. In other words, you already wrote off Jay Sankey and didn't bother to watch his videos, attend the chatroom, etc. You may not buy into his marketing, but I certainly did. Marketing is always designed to psychologically push people into buying things. People have desires and marketing aims to fulfill such desires with their products. In this case, this product claimed to revolutionize magic and therefore get magicians to buy this product to revolutionize magic. I truly believe the difference between me buying this product instead of the products I knew Jay Sankey sold before was because of the marketing. Ex: I've heard of Jay Sankey's Pulp Fiction. I read his reviews and it didn't interest me. On the other hand, Jay employed all the tricks in his book for this product (refer to my previous post). He may claim his product is his best mentalism release as of late, but when he claims his product will revolutionize magic, that is a more serious claim. I unfortunately backwards rationalized into his claim.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bending the real - Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL