The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bending the real - Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 05:17, puggo wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 17:18, daffydoug wrote:
I am currently unemployed, so I have to watch every dollar. I'm also doing bankruptcy, so every dollar counts. Not a whole lot of money to go around these days for magic purchases. ...

Hey Daffydoug

Good luck, I hope your financial situation change for the better.

Charlie

Also sending best wishes to Daffydoug - these are certainly very challenging times.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 05:17, puggo wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 17:18, daffydoug wrote:
I am currently unemployed, so I have to watch every dollar. I'm also doing bankruptcy, so every dollar counts. Not a whole lot of money to go around these days for magic purchases. ...

Hey Daffydoug

Good luck, I hope your financial situation change for the better.

Charlie

Thank you. Actually, the Bankruptcy will projectedly up my credit score.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
todd fritz
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of todd fritz
I am pleasantly surprised.

Okay the coloring on the DVD is nothing less than annoying. some of the "bending movement" stuff is more than a little hard to take...

BUT

There is some great stuff on this DVD. the M&M gag is awesome. I have already used 2 of the gimmicks that are included and they worked very well. (For example - There is a way to support a calculator or cell phone on a flat dollar bill.) It's a great little "scratch your head moment" for the spectator.

The booklets didn't do much for me but maybe they will later.

To all of you that wrote this off... If you like Sankey's work in general, I'd say give this a second look.

ps - good luck with your finances, daffydoug.
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
111 Posts

Profile of Johannes Lindrupsen
I preordered this, but haven't gotten it in the mail yet (as I am living in Norway).
I am a bit skeptical to this, but I am going to give it a shot. I am not the biggest Sankey fan anymore, but I chose to give this project a shot, so we'll see what I think.
Thanks to everyone for the reviews and thoughts.
I will come back with my thoughts when I recieve the DVD!

-Johannes
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 22:45, todd fritz wrote:
I am pleasantly surprised.

Okay the coloring on the DVD is nothing less than annoying. some of the "bending movement" stuff is more than a little hard to take...

BUT

There is some great stuff on this DVD. the M&M gag is awesome. I have already used 2 of the gimmicks that are included and they worked very well. (For example - There is a way to support a calculator or cell phone on a flat dollar bill.) It's a great little "scratch your head moment" for the spectator.

The booklets didn't do much for me but maybe they will later.

To all of you that wrote this off... If you like Sankey's work in general, I'd say give this a second look.

ps - good luck with your finances, daffydoug.

Is my understanding correct that he includes the pencil gimmick where you move the point of the pencil from the tip to the middle?

I purchased this separately, but ended up breaking it. Great effect. Would like to have it again.
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
@daffydoug: from what I understand from an earlier post you get the pencil nibs but not a complete pencil ready made (you have the make that yourself), hope that makes sense.

I am interested in this but from initial reviews unsure. Will be interested to see what die hard fan Michael Kras makes of this, please post your comments once you receive this.

I can't wait to become a bender! Oh, wait a minute, I can't say that in the UK, it has a whole different meaning! Smile
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I'll be sure to post an honest review when I receive my copy!

And getting the pencil nibs seems odd to me... that's the easiest part of the gimmick to make! It's the pencil itself that's tricky. My hope is that the complete gimmick is included.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Zaose
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Zaose
Michael,

Just the "nibs" are included. I've broken a few pencils making the other part, but seem to be good at it now heh.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Bummer. Big bummer, there. I purchased the original effect because I thought it was surreal and great, but I didn't want to mess with all that delicate whittling. Then I had the durned thing in my back pocket and (snap) sat on it. D'oh!!

It's one Sankey effect that I really liked and used, but I'm wondering if he even sells it on his site anymore?
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I believe he still sells it seperately... shame that the full thing isn't included in the Bending The Real package. Not sure why he'd include the easiest part of the gimmick to make.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
Sankey truly is a master salesman. I bought it pre ordered and I feel foolish, I have to admit. The video effects as previously stated make this annoying to watch, and practical jokes? Really?? Wow. I kind of feel like I've been on the receiving end of a "bender" all right!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

My full review of Bending The Real can be found here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=111&0
AndyG
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of AndyG
BENDING THE REAL - ANOTHER VIEW

Hi All,

Newcomer to the boards here - I have posted another review of Bending The Real on the same thread as Michael's.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
There is of course no such things as "Bending". This feels like a blatant attempt to sell old stuff under a the pretence of a new way of thinking.

It also feels like Jay is trying to create his own version of moments of Astonishment a la Paul Harris...unfortunately without the effects to back up the hokey and pretentious "thinking" behind Bending the Real.
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
OK,
I'm sorry, I'm a fan of Sankey, I have bought probably 20 plus Sankey DVD's and effects over the years but WTF Jay!!! I subscribed to his Bending the Real YouTube channel so I get these video updates. Today I got several emails with new Bending the Real videos and I'm convinced that Jay has lost his mind. "Fast Food", tearing a french fry in half, having the spectator hold the other half in their hand (OK, EWWW GROSS!) eating your half, making a "magical pass" over the spectators hand, they open it and there are two french fry halves in their hand. Are you kidding me?, I had to check the calendar to see if it was April 1st!!! I've been sitting here biting my tongue on all of this Bending the Real conversation and sadly I am a disappointed pre-order victim, but that video today was the proverbial straw. What a load of crap. Wait...let's show that the two french fry halves match up...oh wait, you can't because they so obviously don't when you see the video!!! I just have one word to say...AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I feel better now,
Hank

P.S. Ray, moments of Astonishment ala Paul Harris?...nay I say, more like moments of Admonishment...Jay should be ashamed of himself for this one.
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
There is just so much inconsistency of thinking around this whole thing.

In his preview to Bending the Real Sankey uses phrases (to paraphrase slightly) like

His contribution to Magics Evolution
Bends being a sharing experience
Not using the word trick because that implies something childish

And yet there are some pretty harsh and mean spirited tricks on here--if that's being yourself will anybody want to know you? And pranking somebody is sharing ?

And there is a lot of dross---honestly the effects on You Tube are instantly figurable by an imbecile and most critically for me they lack impact....this is Magics evolution ?

Let's face it for all the dressing and BS that goes around these products a lot of the stuff Sankey puts out now is aimed at the beginner who doesn't know any better.

I've no problem with that as long as people don't fall for the hype that he is one of magics deepest thinkers , in my opinion he's not he's just a very effective marketer of tat.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Ok then, for sure will not order this. If I do not have anything nice to say, shutup. I believe good advice to myself here!
I think I'll buy something Al Baker or something Ken Brooke - pretty sure no disappointment with that.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
To me it is very sad and disappointing to see Jay specifically targeting the beginner magicians who don't know any better with this bad dvd. I sincerely feel sorry for those beginners who bought this thinking the dvd represents good magic. There are a few okay bits on here, but it's mainly a marketing scheme IMO.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
I don't own the DVD but the pre release effects were enough to make you realise this was going to be absolute pants !!
Sorry Michael!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Something tells me I made a wise decision in not ordering this. If I come up with the bucks, I'll purchase "Hardcore"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bending the real - Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL