The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Having a Party Planner/Agent?!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The reason many folks will use an agent is because of "insurance".....should the entertainer they've booked for some reason become unavailable (ill, injured,family problems, etc), the agent will (hopefully) be able to find another entertainer at short notice. This is why booking through an agent should be more costly - certainly not cheaper - than booking direct.
My philosophy is to quote the same fees to an agent as for all my regular gigs. They are then welcome to add their percentage, and on occasion they will actually offer me more than my regular fee.
Agents who ask you to work for less than your normal fee are a bit suspect - after all, surely if they can negotiate lower rates then the word will eventually get out that it's better to hire you through some agent than call you direct.
There are exceptions - such as Ferries and more recently cruise ships. These agents have exclusive agency for their clients, and you won't get the work unless you're hired through them. In this instance, you have to evaluate whether or not the experience and exposure is worthwhile, compared to the (usually) reduced fee. Of course, these agencies are gradually getting poorer performers, or those with less experience. They have to work hard to constantly find new acts which make the grade. More experienced entertainers simply refuse the work, as they know they can attract much higher fees by working independently.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Armando please call me Alfonso
Go to the yellow pages, the yellow book, the internet, and call every local agency you can find. Follow that up with a promo package in the mail. When you network with other local performers ask them who they recommend. Pass your business card around to other performers. I get calls from stilt walkers, mimes, clowns, face painters, and balloon twisters all the time.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3832 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
15-20% works. But you need to check out agencies and event planners first. Make sure you're dealing with an honest rep. The partnership can work for everyone...but there are some pikers out there.

I wouldn't contact every agency. There are some that deal with low status, low priced acts and you can wind up getting painted with the same brush as Barfy the Clown if you're not careful. You may also start dealing with a market you don't want at prices you never approved....and you may not get paid...so check them out.

Best advice: A performer is essentially a product. If the agent/planner can sell that product, it works. If not.....y'know.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
David
I have had bad offers, and I have had good offers. Generally speaking the best offers come form the best agencies.
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Very well said david.
Great information everyone.

Armando
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3832 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 23:02, Al Angello wrote:
David
I have had bad offers, and I have had good offers. Generally speaking the best offers come form the best agencies.

I could not possibly agree more, Alfonso!
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I worked with Barfy the Clown once. Don't ever call the guy; he'll yak on the phone for hours.

I'm suspect of agencies that contact me. I've been represented by the same agent in Los Angeles for years, and I had to WORK to get signed with them. While I'm not saying this is ALWAYS the case, I've generally found that the people that contact you are looking for money. There are plenty of performers out there who would like representation, and a good agency isn't going to work with every person that walks through the door. THEY shouldn't be selling to YOU - YOU should be selling to THEM.

Do your research, and don't give anyone a dime up front. If they believe in your talent, and they believe in their ability to get you work, there's no reason on earth they should be asking for your money. You wouldn't give a business your credit card information without a guarantee that you'd be getting something in return, and a legitimate agency operates the same way. With a little research and by asking questions (like you've done here) you can generally weed out the good from the bad.

Good luck! Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Andrew
Armando is a young man just starting out, and finding someone who can book him for some local birthday party's is all he is looking for at this time.

I have had calls from out of state agency's who googled my area for a local customer, they found my web site, and made me an offer over the phone. It doesn't happen every week, but I do get those calls occasionally.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22349 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 22:40, Mando wrote:
Just out of curiosity I have had a party planner/agent for kids parties contact me wanting to work with me but I never really had any experience with this sort of thing.

How do you guys go about it? Do you give them a higher rate to sell your show or shows? or do you give them a reduced rate so they can have more room to work with?

Do you give out your promotional business cards at the events or no?

Armando

You have not really fully explained who this business is. Our party agents in our town are the type that set up a full event. They put up the jumping and balls things, have clowns and rides. If this is the type of party planner you are speaking about, then they probably just want a magician to add to their huge array of stuff. Then it would not be big money for your services. Do they want walk around magic and/or a stage show. Do you have to help set up the equipment and also perform. This you would have to talk to them as what they are actually thinking.

Or, are they juat wanting to use you as a referral or actually your agent, and take on some responsibility with booking you to an event where you are the sole performer.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9825 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, while similar in some ways, there can be a big difference in actual entertainment agencies and event planners, corporate event planners, party planners, promoters, and specialized agencies. The difference also extends to how they operate, pay, and how to submit, inquire or audition.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Albertini - I know, I just figured I'd give him my take on what my experience has been, should he choose to look for representation in the future. Smile

P.S. Please, call me Andrea.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Actually I havent just started out , I have been doing shows in venues and various events for quite some time now but I always had gotten the work through myself. Promoting, Networking.. etc

Im just new to working with an Agent which I havent really done, but decided to give it a shot.

Armando
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22349 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you can get a good agent that gets you work, it is the best way to go. Look at David Williamson and many of the New York magicians. They don't have big web sites and trying to be everything to everyone. They are working private work and making a good living.

Agents that have the connections of high caliber clients will make you a good living.
Good Luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Having a Party Planner/Agent?!? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL