The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Cutting to the emotional heart, "loss as a theme in a routine" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
When I was 15 years old my best friend was killed while riding with a drunk driver. I am now 32 and feel that I have enough emotional maturity to tackle this subject in a magic routine. I feel that sharing my experience with a "select" audience (ie- have been hired to present a message about not drinking and driving) I can maybe change one person's decision not to get behind the wheel or in the car with a drunk driver.

So, I have been contemplating "loss" as a theme in a routine. I have never brain stormed an idea on the Café before.

Normally when I begin brain storming an idea it is huge, stage magic with tons of props, effects, etc etc. I then pair it down to the essential elements and then I build out from there; hopefully constructing a fully realized routine with all the necessary parts but not too much fluff.

Here is my first idea:
On a dark stage, photos start to show from the early eighties of two boys, one blonde one brunette, playing. We see a how close and friendly they are. In each of the photos (or in several of the photos) is an object that runs through the set. In each photo they are slightly older until they reach their teens. Then in the final photo there is only the brunette boy and the object.

I walk on stage (I am a brunette) to that thing we have seen through each photo. I am not sure what it is yet. My first thought is a guitar because that is something we used to do together.

What ever this object is, it becomes animated, the object and I have some sort of fun adventure and then the object stops being animated suddenly.

This is where I am stuck right now. Since I normally perform comedy magic, I can't find the resolution of this routine. Right now I seem to have a beginning and a middle. The object ceasing to animate may be the dramatic ending but I defiantly feel that a routine such as this needs a denouement. I feel this because I don't want to leave the audience hopeless. Am I underestimating the audience? Am I being afraid of the full emotional commitment to the idea?

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Great message wizardofsorts... Smile

Many ways to do this imho...

A few ideas from me, you routine it yourself to your preference ok...

Here it is, basically a Torn and Restored Photo Routine of you and your friend.

Its "essential elements"... The Picture Torn signifies the Accident and your heart breaking. The Picture Restored in the end is your now newly found, as you put it, "emotional maturity to tackle this subject in a magic routine." And you wanting to keep the memory of your childhood friend alive.

Also add a Bottle (beside you on a chair) to signify the dangers of Alcohol, have the bottle explode or break by itself at the end of the routine to "punch" in the point that Drunk Driving shatters lives.

I see you doing this seated, another chair beside you with the bottle. The empty Chair is for your friend, the Bottle is the Drunk Driver.

Hope that gets your creative juices flowing.

Great idea and message again.

All the best...

And sorry for your friend. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Pakar,
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I love the idea of the breaking bottle. The T and R photo could also be a part of this.
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Glad you like it.

Record it and show us when you're ready yah... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Another idea might be to levitate the guitar at the end to represent the resurrection of your friend's memory in your heart, and end by having it lower into the previously empty chair as a living memory. You could pat the neck of the guitar as you walk off stage as the lights slowly dim.

You could probably accomplish this ala Zombie.

I think this ending would have an emotional impact, and bring closure to the message in their minds.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
His picture torn, but when restored is a heart not the original photo.

The back of the photo was shown, white, red or black..depending on how your story goes and what color you want your heart to be in the "end".

I don't see why there can't be a use of your comedy skills. Humor is a part of the grief process. I am guessing your friend also had a sense of humor. Perhaps share some of your humorous memories.

The object in the photos could be a guitar...the last one has you only and the guitar with strap. You click to the next photo over and pull out the guitar strap click again the photo shows just you and the guitar.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Cutting to the emotional heart, "loss as a theme in a routine" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL