The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Card on Ceiling (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Kostya's routine is great and you can see it on his dvd, "Magical Performances LIVE". He told me Derren Brown and some other big names were in the audience that night and it was quite a high ceiling...but he nails it!

The card on ceiling has some variables so you always have to remember that...

I used to perform it in a restaurant with 30 foot high ceilings...you get used to it but there is still going to be mis-haps now and again. Just make sure you catch that falling deck!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I was practicing Doc Eason's version of card on ceiling which uses a tack in my basement. Deck didn't stick and the tack rolled away somewhere. I'm sure I'll find it someday as I'm walking around in bare feet.

I'm thinking now - probably not a good trick to use in bar or restaurant...

Anybody use that version and what to you do about loosing a tack in say someone's salad?
Lakewood, Ohio
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I perform the Card on Ceiling as well. I usually hit 100%, however one time, the ceiling was very dusty and the card wouldn't stick. You could actually see the dust puff like smoke outward from the card as it hit the ceiling. I tossed the deck a second, and third time, and it wouldn't stick at all. It was a little embarrassing. Be aware of dusty ceilings.

Here is something that I have discovered that works well for me. I carry the wax balls in a small plastic "Listerine Strip" container. The containers are very small, take up very little pocket space, and because its plastic and I carry it in my front pocket, it keeps the wax at a perfect temperature and "gooeyness" for the effect. I can fit 6 wax balls in one container.

I hope this helps.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
GREAT idea, John! Because it's so small, you can probably get the wax while casually chatting with your hand in your front pocket, as well!
Quote:
On 2011-05-05 04:56, Hart Keene wrote:
Kostya's routine is great and you can see it on his DVD, "Magical Performances LIVE". He told me Derren Brown and some other big names were in the audience that night and it was quite a high ceiling...but he nails it!

I used to perform it in a restaurant with 30 foot high ceilings... you get used to it but there is still going to be mis-haps now and again. Just make sure you catch that falling deck!

How in the world do spectators see a card 30 feet up?!?!?!? Were you using jumbo cards?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 10:20, Mike Maturen wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-05 04:56, Hart Keene wrote:
Kostya's routine is great and you can see it on his dvd, "Magical Performances LIVE". He told me Derren Brown and some other big names were in the audience that night and it was quite a high ceiling...but he nails it!

I used to perform it in a restaurant with 30 foot high ceilings...you get used to it but there is still going to be mis-haps now and again. Just make sure you catch that falling deck!

How in the world do spectators see a card 30 feet up?!?!?!? Were you using jumbo cards?

Thick marker and I carried a small mag light...30 feet isn't that far away bro Smile
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
No it's not bad. The below ceiling is at LEAST 35 ft (could be 45-50). It was a show I did for the National Guard at the Armory. Awesome reaction to this one - that card isn't coming down.

.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I'm impressed!!!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
*I* was impressed. I was actually shooting for those steel beams. LOL I missed and the deck just floated passed them, made NO sound what-so-ever, and when it fell, their card was stuck to the ceiling. Those people lost it.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Cool!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

rghale
View Profile
New user
Robert Hale
29 Posts

Profile of rghale
Also, watch out for suspended ceilings. The tiles will move when the deck hits and they are likely not to "hold" due to their material. I always opt for a slightly bigger ball of wax - more marbled size. Make sure to impart a spin to the deck as you throw to keep it level.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yes...and the suspended ceiling can also place a cloud of "ceiling dust" on the spectators' food and drinks. NOT good for tip generation!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
When in doubt, leave it out!

BTW, here is a video of Doc Eason performing card on ceiling(thumbtack) on a 40 foot ceiling...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KktAYL_QY

Also, if you go to my website, http://www.magicianportland.com and scroll down to the second video(Street Magic 2005), the VERY LAST clip in the video is me doing it at a house party and the ceiling is 20-25 feet tall and vaulted! But look at the reaction it gets...

If you do it long enough things WILL go wrong! There are just too many factors that are literally "out of your hands". But that's part of what makes it such a great trick!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Thanks for this great thread. I was having the exact same problem. Couldn't figure out if it was the gimmick or the ceilings (plaster ceilings here in Europe, I thought that might have something to do with it). Now I'm thinking perhaps it was just my technique... Have been wanting to put this back in my repertoire as it garners such strong reactions (and people never forget this one, sheesh! I've had people mention it years later.).
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Just a funny CoC experience today. I was hired to perform at a Jack & Jill and did CoC a couple of times, once for the happy couple and the second time for another group. My moronic self drops the stupid calls on the fall (I'm used to much higher ceilings!) and they fall on the floor....

But no one looked up.

To turn the screw up into a benefit, I looked at them embarrassedly and said "NOW how and I going to find it?!" They all chuckle while I hold a finger pointing to the ceiling. They all look and had a GREAT reaction.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Glad to know I,m not the only one who this has happen to.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Is this effect (I believe the creation of Karl Norman at the Forks Hotel many years ago) better than Matt Schulien's "Card on the Wall"? And what about the version (is it Paul Green?) with the portable "wall"? Theoretically it would seem the fact that it's a *ceiling* (that is, UP THERE) would make it stronger...is it?
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Didn't Doc Eason successfully perform his card on ceiling with a ceiling fan spinning round right above him? This is the stuff of legends... or great rumors!

Seriously, I think he did this.

Doc.. are yo out there ? If so, can you confirm this?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Jonathan,

I believe card thru ceiling fan is even written up, somewhere--maybe by Doc Eason. Pretty sure I've tried it myself, although it's been awhile, and the memory is hazy. Seem to remember the deck just passes right thru the blades...
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for letting me know, Damian, that I'm not out to lunch! Smile

I thought I recalled this feat.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Quote:
On 2011-05-17 02:00, foolsnobody wrote:
Is this effect (I believe the creation of Karl Norman at the Forks Hotel many years ago) better than Matt Schulien's "Card on the Wall"? And what about the version (is it Paul Green?) with the portable "wall"? Theoretically it would seem the fact that it's a *ceiling* (that is, UP THERE) would make it stronger...is it?

Not me! I think that Johnny Paul used the concept of a small, hand-held panel that he used for Card on the Wall.

Enjoy the search.

Paul Green
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Card on Ceiling (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL