The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Smart *** Kid.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I only post this for informational purposes and am not admitting that I have ever used it for running rude teens away. I found a little ap that I may or may not have for my iphone called MosquitoPlus. It creates an irritating high pitched noise that only teens and under can hear. From what I understand it is extrememly irritating. It drives my 14 year old nuts. Now if there are a lot of kids, one probably wouldn't want to play with this thing, but if there is only one that is just giving you fits, you can hit this app and it will drive them a good distance away - I'm guessing. Anyone from about 18 and up won't have a clue anything has happened because as one gets older, they lose this range of hearing. In fact, the malls here currently use his same technology to keep teens from congregating in and around their front doors. Just some high tech information that I thought some might find useful if not entertaining.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2011-04-08 15:45, calvan wrote:
I probably under the circumstance would have done the same thing and made like a spot and vanished. Although over the years I have found with smart kids like this to do something so simple that there is no way that they have seen it or read about it. This is what I do take a deck of cards out that I know what the top card is I ask the kid to cut the deck in half I take the bottom cut and set it across the top cut they are cress cross then I start talk to the kid about nothing but about something to do with the cards you find in a deck of cards. After some silly talk that makes little sense I ask the kid if he knows what card he cut to the answer has always been no I say will I do. Reach down and take the bottom cut off then point to the top card on the top cut and say you card is the ace of harts or whatever it is then have the kid turn over the card and there it is I then say thank you to the table and leave. I learned this from one of my magic mentors

Ok... I'm dying to know.. Are you serious? If you get caught, you bust out a criss cut force?
Quote:
I only post this for informational purposes and am not admitting that I have ever used it for running rude teens away. I found a little ap that I may or may not have for my iphone called MosquitoPlus. It creates an irritating high pitched noise that only teens and under can hear. From what I understand it is extrememly irritating. It drives my 14 year old nuts. Now if there are a lot of kids, one probably wouldn't want to play with this thing, but if there is only one that is just giving you fits, you can hit this app and it will drive them a good distance away - I'm guessing. Anyone from about 18 and up won't have a clue anything has happened because as one gets older, they lose this range of hearing. In fact, the malls here currently use his same technology to keep teens from congregating in and around their front doors. Just some high tech information that I thought some might find useful if not entertaining.

That was hilarious... I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.. Thank you!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-04-08 00:06, elimagic wrote:

I also do not think he started this thread to be judged in his actions.

Chris handled the situation fine, but you can't start a thread like this without being judged on your actions. Not for the purpose of saying "wow, you screwed up," or "Dude, you're a god!," but this in an exercise in "if this happened to me, what would I do?" I think that's what most people are doing here, in their own way. It's very helpful to think through these things in advance, so thanks to Chris for throwing the scenario out there.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
Chris handled the situation fine, but you can't start a thread like this without being judged on your actions. Not for the purpose of saying "wow, you screwed up," or "Dude, you're a god!," but this in an exercise in "if this happened to me, what would I do?" I think that's what most people are doing here, in their own way. It's very helpful to think through these things in advance, so thanks to Chris for throwing the scenario out there.

Well said.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2011-04-06 02:50, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Yeah! You sure showed him!

Not to be a devil's advocating jerk or anything, but is there no better strategy than this? Like, off the top of my head...

...palming the 7 of clubs off and letting him examine the deck; having a hard-core magician-fooler at the ready; roping the kid into being part of the presentation; doing something with lots of feints; getting the kid laughing so hard he can't pay attention to any sleights and/or bring himself to care about methodology; do paper balls over the head; do a devious sucker effect; give him the deck to shuffle, make sure he's doing a good job, and then showing coins through silk for everybody else while he's busy; and so on?

I do get it, these kids are annoying, but punishing the whole table based on the behaviour of a 10 year old kid who probably didn't know any better, well, it seems a bit extreme.

What a buzz kill...LOL...I think CL did the right thing and it's pretty funny too if you think it about...I mean after all he did ask the kid, "have you ever seen..." And he delivered...BRAVO!!!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
How sad to read so many folks agreeing with Chris's handling of this situation. All Chris did was to show everyone at the table that he was upset, and made a lame remark in a misguided attempt to "put the kid in his place". If I were the kid's father, I would have been rather upset at Chris's reaction, and I'm sure the kid was either upset, or concluded that magicians are unentertaining fakes, perhaps both.
As someone who performs for kids all the time, I can assure you all, this was NOT the best way to handle the situation. For a start, you need to realise that few 10-year olds are actually rude, and this kid certainly wasn't. He merely saw the magic as a challenge. Evidently, he doesn't understand that magic as a performing art is usually there to be enjoyed as a spectacle, not as a puzzle. That's not his fault - Chris could have easily won him over, with the right attitude and knowledge of how to handle kids like this.
The most important thing of all, is not to get upset if someone busts you. Laugh about it, be delighted that your audience has one over on you - at this point, that's how they're feeling, so reinforce that. That's entertainment. Then, you can get a little conspiratorial, and perhaps suggest to the kid that you do a trick together - thus allowing the kid to become the performer, and to fool his parents. There are dozens of effects which allow the spectator to "do the magic"....e.g. "The Shuffling Lesson" from "Magic for Dummies". This effect would have been the perfect way to leave the whole table on a high. To first show off your own skills, and then to have the kid get one up on you....and very possibly to change the way he thinks about magic.
Really, thinking that someone who busts you on your performance is being rude, shows that you're more concerned about impressing folks with your cleverness, than entertaining them. Learn to take it on the chin - and realise that accepting the challenge to show something they can't figure out isn't neccessarily a great way to go either. Folks like this are more likely to be irritated if they can't figure out a trick. Whereas allowing them to become the magician (even if you have to do all the work) will almost certainly bring them great joy, and show your total professionalism.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
We were not there to know everything that took place. I am sure there are several ways to have handled it. I do not believe there to be only one way. Different personalities and other variable dictate what could be done.

I don't think the way he handled it was a bad thing. I was not present at the time.

I have left tables that wanted to just challenge me before and I will do it again. I am there to entertain, not be hassled.

If someone was playing a guitar to entertain the folks and someone felt they should yell out "There's an F, now a G, hey, now he hit an A minor." Should the musician stay and take it or move to others who will appreciate and be entertained by his music?

You can't convert everyone. Life's too short to try.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
It's very obvious to me from those who commented in this thread who works in restaurants and who does not...

To those who have been saying I should have said "Shh! Don't tell anybody! We magicians have to stick together!" and give the kid a wink in an attempt to to try and win this kid over, if you read my original post then you'll all see that I tried to do exactly that. Had this young man said that YES!, he was a magician then I would have embraced it.

This is NOT what occured...

The child informed me that he was not a magician and that he enjoys watching "how to magic videos" and that nothing I could do would fool him and to "throw something else at him" as I would NOT be able to fool him.

When I was growing up, if I had talked like that to an adult then my father would have knocked some sense into me right then and there. Of course, back in then it was acceptable to displine your child in public.

This had nothing to do with ego and being busted nor does it have to do with tightening up my chops. I can watch the most technically gifted sleight of hand performer and 9 times out of 10, I can follow what's going on. I watched Kent's routines that he posted. I thought they were awesome! Very nice. However, I was able to follow most (not all) of what was going on. Does this mean that Kent needs to "tighten up his chops" b/c of me? Of course not.

Does it mean that if I watch someone do an ACR, that they need to tighten up their chops b/c I can follow a DL? Not at all. If you understand method then you can pretty much follow just about anything. Now executing it is differnt, but that's for another discussion! Smile

For me, it was all about respect. A child should never speak with disrespect to another adult and if they do, there "should" be consequences from that child's parents.

I decided it was best to leave the table for several reasons. First, we were packed and I just simply didn't have the time when other tables are waving me down, servers are coming to me and saying "Table 9 wants you when you have a minute," etc. Secondly, situations like this never end well. By accepting a challenge, you're accepting a confrontation. It's not our place to be confrontational. My job is to entertain the customers which is exactly what I did. There's no rule that says I must perform a certain amount of routines per table like there's not a rule that I must visit every single table.

I had an entire dining room to entertain so I chose to move along. I handled the situation very professionaly, was polite and left on a funny moment...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2011-04-11 02:12, Potty the Pirate wrote:
For a start, you need to realise that few 10-year olds are actually rude, and this kid certainly wasn't.

I usually agree with you Doug, but especially on the above point I must disagree. I regularly run into 10 year olds that are not only rude, but act if they have no clue what politeness is. Perhaps there is a cultural divide here. I’ve always thought Brits had a reputation of being polite. Maybe they even teach it to their children. Imagine that.

By the way, I’m not necessarily complaining about this impolite trend. As a children’s entertainer I could let this really upset me. But, If you look at it the right way, its kind of funny! Besides, I only have to put up with the child for a short amount of time, it’s the parents that have deal with it 24/7.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Doug is from across the pond and cannot comment with any competence on American children's behavior. There is a difference Doug....

Over here in the states there are plenty of rude children and the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Along these lines....

I was busking at the beach the other day. I use the large climb in balloons which I blow up prior to my show. I hang it high on a light pole, as an interest gather.

4 to 5 year old came running up to touch the balloon and I asked "please don't touch the balloon"

Father walks over with an attitude " Well you shouldn't have a large balloon and not expect people to want to touch it"

REALLY!???!? So the glass blower shouldn't have glass out on a table. The sword swallower shouldn't display his items unless children can play with them. The spray paint artist should just give the paint cans out too.

slapthestupidpeople.org
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
As stated before, you did the right thing Christopher. Taking a 10 year old up on a challenge is not a mature way of handling it. As for people saying you were rude, the child was the rude one. You left with a joke and possibly revealed to the child that his behavior was rude. Maybe he'll behave better the next time he sees a magician but I doubt it if the parents just sit there and let him behave that way.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Chris wrote:

Quote:
The child informed me that he was not a magician and that he enjoys watching "how to magic videos" and that nothing I could do would fool him and to "throw something else at him" as I would NOT be able to fool him.

When I was growing up, if I had talked like that to an adult then my father would have knocked some sense into me right then and there. Of course, back in then it was acceptable to displine your child in public.

Doesn't sound rude to me at all. Sounds like a confident 10 year old. Is it rude to challenge a magician? People do this all the time and we often encourage it. It's a wonderful
part of many routines when the spectator grabs a card and turns it over but finds out he is wrong.

When I've been "busted" I always feel upset. Heck I practically cry (I tear up when nervous which is really amabarrasing). But when I think about it later I realize that it is my job to stay ahead of the audience. Youtube is absolutely making this harder but if we can't stay ahead of them we are out of business.

I'm not saying I could have handled it better, I'm not saying Chris could have handled it better, I'm saying our goal should be to handle it better.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-04-11 13:16, prestopresto wrote:

Doesn't sound rude to me at all. Sounds like a confident 10 year old.

You were not there and me typing out the situation will not make it play out the way it did that evening. The child was RUDE! He had an attitude problem. There was a disrespecting tone to his voice.

The child was rude! Nuff said!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Chris, yes there are cultural differences. But having lived in the States for some years, and worked aboard cruise ships with predominantly American passengers, I can assure you American kids are no different to British kids. Your story belies a lack of understanding of child psychology, and that's what good family entertainers really should think about. Nothing you've said convinces me this kid was rude - but even if he was, there was no reason to react the way you did. Essentially, you behaved like a child yourself, got upset that your clever magic didn't impress, and stomped off.
The way to project a professional image is to make these kids love you, and believe me, the technical content of what the kid said actually screams: "I know about magic, please love me!"
You didn't "get" this, you just found him rude and insulting. Instead of offering your happiness and joy that he understands what you do, you took offense, and tried to put him down. He is a child, you're an adult. Like a good teacher, a magician who really understands kids will always win them over. I'm afraid in this instance, you failed to be the professional that you might one day be.
Read my previous post again, and think about the possibility of winning the kid over instead of taking offense.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Sooo this is the wrong response??
http://youtu.be/Mw0YzBFmxIw
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Potty,

You know absolutely nothing about me, my background or my education. All you know of me is what my bio says on my website and from my ramblings on the web. You are in no way qualified to make an assumption that "I don't know how to handle children" and I know very little about child psychology when you know nothing of me.

I'll have you know that in college, I studied child psychology and for a time was going to major in it until I altered my plans to get a business degree. So for you (and others) to say that I don't know what I'm talking about couldn't be further from the truth! Also being a father of two, it tends to give me a bit of knowledge on the inner workings of a child's mind.

I love kids. I perform in schools, childcare centers, bday's etc. and have for over 25 years now. This is also why I prefer to work in Family Restaurants as appose to fine dining or bars. I enjoy performing for children.

In closing, I refuse to drag myself into an argument with you. There was nothing wrong with the way I handled this situation. If you disagree, then so be it. It doesn't make how I handled it wrong, just that you disagree with it.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Maybe the kid just didn't like you. Maybe his parents didn't like you either.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Potty, I have read your posts for a very long time now and come to respect you as a seasoned performer and have no doubt you put on an entertaining show but to say a rude 10-year-old doesn't exist that you can't make love you and that cannot be won over with ones happiness and joy is just ........REALLY? You're like a child whisperer?

If you can perform this miracle with every rude, misbehaving, ill mannered child, then your talents are being HORRIBLY wasted. You're badly needed at the middle east peace talks, yesterday. I'll foot the bill personally to get you there if I can take out a life insurance policy on you before you go.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2011-04-11 16:46, Mac_Stone wrote:
Maybe the kid just didn't like you. Maybe his parents didn't like you either.
But... I need everyone to love me! Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Smart *** Kid.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL