The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cannibal by Kevin Reylek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Effect - The performer has a spectator choose and sign a card. After the card is lost in the deck, the performer then introduces a “cannibal card”, which is a card that eats other cards. The cannibal card then vanishes from the top of the deck and is found in the middle next to a card that has a corner missing. The card with the missing corner is revealed to be the spectator’s chosen card. The performer then takes the cannibal card and rips it in half to reveal the missing corner which is found inside the cannibal.

DVD Contents:
Performances
History
Gaff Construction
The Original Handling
A Simplified Handling
A Face Up Handling
Other Tips
Credits
Bonus Artwork (DVD-ROM files you can open on your computer)

Review:

I was never a fan of destroying cards for a trick. I was also never a fan of “torn corner to impossible location” type tricks. I never liked that trick because there was no justification as to why you’d only vanish the corner of a card and make it appear elsewhere. However, Kevin Reylek took that routine, combined it with the storyline of the Cannibal Cards, and made the routine make sense. And thus, Cannibal was born.

The DVD:

Kevin dives deep into the history of the Cannibal Cards and how he came up with his method and credits everyone that inspired this routine. You can tell that Kevin really did a lot of research for his routine to make sure that everyone was credited.

The teaching that Kevin provides is awesome. He goes through how to create the gaff (which is a method that many magicians should be familiar with) step by step with clear instruction. I was terrible with using this method before, but with Kevin’s instruction I am now able to make these gaffs in about a minute. He also goes through the routine step by step and gives some tips along the way. He also includes a simplified handling for beginners who would like to perform this routine and a face up version which is a condensed (yet more visual) version of the routine. Not to mention that this handling is great for those times when you don't have a table handy. All in all, the instruction for each method is easy to follow and is very straightforward, so there’s no excuse for anyone to not be able to learn this awesome routine.

The Gaff:

The gaff is really easy to make. All the materials you need are regular household items and if you don’t have what’s necessary (you will probably have some form of the materials at home), you can buy everything for a couple bucks at Wal-Mart. You can also keep it with the rest of the deck and have no worries about the gaff being detected.

Bonus Artwork: Kevin has included some artwork of a "Cannibal King" and a "Danger" label within the DVD that you can open on your computer at home. He goes over what you can do with the artwork toward the end of the DVD where he talks about other tips for the routine. Personally, I won't be using it (mostly because I don't own a printer), but it's a really nice addition for him to include with the DVD.

Conclusion:

Overall, this is a great debut release from Kevin. The routine gets an overall great response from spectators (not to mention passed the “girlfriend test”!) and for the price, you get a well justified corner to impossible location and a literal cannibal card routine. This is a routine that I’ll definitely add to my repertoire.

You can purchase this wonderful effect at either http://www.thebluecrown.com or http://www.newyorkmagicproject.com.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Any reviews?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Ollie Mealing has just shared his thoughts over on his new review blog. Check it out!

http://olliemealing.blogspot.com/2011/04......lek.html

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I used this several times at a Wedding yesterday & the reactions were awesome. After seeing the trailer I knew how it worked and it reminded me of a Sankey effect on his "Kaliedascope" DVD( which Keven credits.I took the plunge & bought it to see if there were any handerling refinements & ended up using my own handerling.

I have several events over the Weekend & I will be doing this at all of them as technically it's easy to do, it resets quickly & the reactions from a lay audience are great. Highly recomende for the working Pro.

Mike Donoghue
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
This is a simple trick with a great idea, I used it several time and had a good reaction to lay people. Ovelall great but, not "wow" 7/10
Roger_Staton
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Roger_Staton
I think this will be an effect I will use a lot once I get the handling down well enough
JoeyHart
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of JoeyHart
Wonderful twist on the classic! I love using things that lay people would never expect to see! we all know that double facers etc exist but they don't, and that is why this works so well! 10/10
Nat
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Nat
Cannibal is terrific...perform recently at an adult holiday party -- great reactions! What an original and unique effect. Thanks, Kevin!

Nathan

On 2011-04-30 13:54, Mercury52 wrote:
Ollie Mealing has just shared his thoughts over on his new review blog. Check it out!

http://olliemealing.blogspot.com/2011/04......lek.html

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cannibal by Kevin Reylek (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL