The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » False cuts (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iamtotallyrandom
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of iamtotallyrandom
I need to know what a really good false cut is, it needs to look like the 'normal' cut (take the top and put it on the bottom) And don't just give me the name (unless it's easy to google ^_^)
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
Pass Cut

If you don't know what I'm talking about by the name, then take up box magic.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Erdnase, card college, expert card technique, and royal road -- four non-esoteric books that each have five or six false cuts in them. check those out. I find that I have no use for/can't do most of them;i like one or two; and typically retain one from each source. it's probably one of the easier things to quickly acquire a set of several different moves. of course what I suggest here doesn't push you to work at harder ones you aren't immediately drawn to. so I'd suggest also looking for some less epedient advice.
Magic Marine
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Magic Marine
Quote:
On 2011-04-08 02:12, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
Erdnase, card college, expert card technique, and royal road -- four non-esoteric books that each have five or six false cuts in them. check those out. I find that I have no use for/can't do most of them;i like one or two; and typically retain one from each source. it's probably one of the easier things to quickly acquire a set of several different moves. of course what I suggest here doesn't push you to work at harder ones you aren't immediately drawn to. so I'd suggest also looking for some less epedient advice.

Bingo!

I'd add to that excellent list the Hustler's Triple Cut found in Darwin Ortiz' Annotated Erdnase.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Bill Malone has some nice variations as taught in his Sam the Bellhop routine from volume one of his On the Loose series.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Card College Volume 1/Chapter 3: An Optical False Cut from the Hand; The False Swing Cut; A Simple False Cut; A Triple False Cut; & The Slip Cut from Dealing Position.

Card College Volume 2/Chapter 25: A True, Single, Tabled Cut; Single, Tabled, False Cut I; Single, Tabled, False Cut II; A True Running Cut; Up the Ladder; Dai Vernon's Cold-deck Cut; Affas-gaffas False Cut; & Gamblers False Cut.

More than enough to choose from...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
471 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I myself am always looking for good false cuts. I have found a lot of good examples on youtube. I don't know their names but just do a false cut youtube search and you'll come up with a few good ones.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2106 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I have long been a proponent of fellow Canadian Mel Stover’s “Winnipeg False Cut”, described and illustrated in Frank Garcia’s 1972 book, Million Dollar Card Secrets, pp. 93–94. It’s also covered in Roberto Giobbi's Card College, but I prefer Garcia’s description.

As a performing mentalist, I can’t be seen exhibiting anything that looks even remotely like card-handling skill: everything has to appear completely ordinary and without suspicion. This cut is easy to do, looks exactly like a normal cutting of the pack, and has escaped detection in the forty years that I’ve been using it.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10615 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Charlie Millers false table cut or table pass
hope this is what you are looking for

http://youtu.be/T1dD9-SR1ac

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6090 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-04-08 02:01, iamtotallyrandom wrote:
I need to know what a really good false cut is, it needs to look like the 'normal' cut (take the top and put it on the bottom) And don't just give me the name (unless it's easy to google ^_^)

...yes SIR!!!!!!!
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 12:32, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-08 02:01, iamtotallyrandom wrote:

...yes SIR!!!!!!!

Thinking the same thing.
Albatros
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
132 Posts

Profile of Albatros
For quick reference and some pointers:

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?search=false+cut

always a good place to check Smile
"Palming cards... Like sex, it can be learned by almost anybody,but doing it well requires some native talent and assiduous practice." (John Scarne)
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2500 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Listen, everybody. iamtotallyrandom doesn't want a bunch of your fancy erudite references. He was clear that he wants simple, googlable names. I'll go you one better, buddy. Here's a direct link to a terrific false cut... with full explanation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tah3LgoFUL8
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 18:26, Steven Keyl wrote:
Listen, everybody. iamtotallyrandom doesn't want a bunch of your fancy erudite references. He was clear that he wants simple, googlable names. I'll go you one better, buddy. Here's a direct link to a terrific false cut... with full explanation!

convincing!
I took the Pledge
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Good job, Steven!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1099 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 18:26, Steven Keyl wrote:

So he can google it & get it for free with no effort required then? Way to go.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Erm, didn't you click on the link Russell?! Smile
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1099 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
No I didn't. I learnt my false cuts from books or DVD's that I've bought.
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
182 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
Any card book you get will start out with false cuts and shuffles. Quick piece of advice, since I can see you are new here: rather than just coming and asking magicians to tell you, it is considered good form to do a little effort yourself. And rather than asking how to do something, instead try to get resources that would be worth looking into. Magicians have worked hard to learn what they know, and it is a little grating to have someone just say in effect "I'm not going to put in the work you did. Tell me how to do it."

Along those lines, I'll answer the question you should have asked. Try Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It sounds like it might be your level, its really cheap on Amazon, and its got a false cut in there I stil use after years of learning from other places.l
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-12-12 08:42, Russell Davidson wrote:
No I didn't. I learnt my false cuts from books or DVD's that I've bought.

Mate, it's a gag. Click the link.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » False cuts (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL