The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magical Fiction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I have read several fiction books that have dealt directly or inderectly with magic. But I want more. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's what I've read so far....

Carter The Great by Gold
Adventures of Kavelier & Clay - Chabon
Blue Moon Circus - Raleigh
The Houdini Mysteries -
American Gods - Gaiman
Geek Love

There's probably others.
Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but, hey, it's about books.

Thanks all!

Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver is a detective novel about a serial killer who kills his victims by re-creating classics of magic from the masters. There's a cover story on it in Genii this month with an excerpt but I would just suggest buying it rather then reading a chunk from the middle.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
There was a good one written by Peter Straub, I think. I read it years ago but I cannot seem to remember the title right now. I will look it up and get back to you.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Well, depending on how loose your definition is, we could include James Swain's novels (regarding a cheat catcher but..y'know...similar...hehehe)
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2003-08-07 23:41, ixnay66 wrote:
The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver is a detective novel about a serial killer who kills his victims by re-creating classics of magic from the masters. There's a cover story on it in Genii this month with an excerpt but I would just suggest buying it rather then reading a chunk from the middle.

I do not not read many novels but I just finished reading this on vacation. Very good book by the author of "Bone Collector". Full of twists and turns and I was not expecting the ending. An easy read especially if one has an interest in magic. (Although two people in my office who do not do magic read it before me and found it very enjoyable). Does stretch the imagination here and there but still a good read. I would recommend it.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
The story by Peter Straub is called Shadowland! It is really good as I recall. I may even get a hold of a copy and read it again. It is in the category of a horror story, FYI.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
'52 Ways to Magic America' by James Flint is a magic fiction book ! - it's pretty good !! - there are a couple of parts that border on exposure though Smile Smile

Still ...... well worth a look !!
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
James Swain, aside from his Tony Valentine novels mentioned earlier, wrote a book in '89 titled "The man who could walk through walls" you can find it at amazon. I believe it is about a made-up nephew of Houdini.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Books of magic? Matt Wagner, Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, Joerges Borges... might even want to include the G. K. Chesterton mysteries to that list.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I've read The Vanished Man by Deaver. It was ok, but didn't blow me away. And I've seen the Peter Straub book in B&N, so now I think I'll grab it.

Thanks for the input, gang!

Smile <-------- cat.

John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I would suggest you contact Michael Canick in NY. He's a book seller and also collects and sells Magic Fiction.( A Google.com search of his name will turn you on to his web site) He publishes a list of Magic Fiction titles that you may want to get your hands on. I have approx 115 to 130 titles on my shelves, and I haven't even scratched the surface. Canick's list contains hundreds, if not over a thousand books, and even he hasn't listed them all.
Have fun and as always,

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
495 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I own a book called "Sorcerers" by Jacob Needleman. It is about a Magician passing on his craft to a young apprentice. Very thought provoking. Smile
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
Thanks John Smetana for the info on Michael Canick’s list. The list doesn’t seem to be on-line anywhere (please correct me if I’m wrong), but can be bought from him at $15 at his website: http://www.canick.com

This is what it says on his site:

3877. Canick, Michael (Comp). MAGIC IN FICTION: A SHORT-TITLE CHECKLIST. 1998, Volcanick, 1st Ed, Stapled wraps. A listing of authors, titles, & publishing info for over 700 non-magic fiction works in a variety of genres which feature magic or magicians. Incl works related to circus, gambling, hypnotism, ventriloquism and the occult. $15.00.
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
Well, I'm writing a fiction novel. So, if it ever gets published I'll post about it being published. Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Hey all,

Don't forget Robertson Davies, "The Deptford Trilogy".

Mark
What would Wavy do?
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
There are some listed on my website at http://www.markfarrar.co.uk/mbooks01.htm.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Quote:
On 2003-08-09 11:14, Firedice27 wrote:
I've read The Vanished Man by Deaver. It was ok, but didn't blow me away.

Are you kidding!? I read it a few weeks ago and I thought it was incredible! One of the greatest books I've read in a while!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Nope, sorry... just didn't like it. Blue Moon Circus slayed me though.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magical Fiction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL