The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sterling Egg / Egg from Flower Petal/Rizla/Toilet Paper etc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
93 Posts

Profile of VE Day
My Sterling Eggs work a treat when they have just been done but they dry out terribly quickly. A bit too quickly for my liking.

My Sterling Eggs are drying out very quickly of late. The talcum powder that is supposed to preserve them seems to dry them out even more. I read somewhere something about applying Glycerene to them to act as a moisturiser (or maybe as a preservative).

Is this the same Glycerene that is sold in 200ml bottles in Boots the Chemist for treating Coughs and Sorethroats etc? Or is there a different purer product I ought to use?
Do I apply this to the egg like I am applying a face cream or moisturiser to my face?
If I smear this stuff on then won't the talcum powder cake onto it making a huge mess?

Please does anyone have any tips on perfecting my method of making these eggs?
(Please, there is no need to point me in the direction of Americans who make and sell Sterling Eggs as I am in London.
Also I am already aware of commercial pre-made gimmicks such as the Perfect Egg, but they do not work at the same pace as the home made Duck Egg Sterling Eggs).

Please I am just looking for a reliable method of preserving the Duck Eggs at home so that they last a month or two so that I always have them ready for a show as they take at least a week to make.

Hope you can help please. And my apologies if this is not the ideal section to ask questions about egg tricks.

Thank you.

Victoria,
London.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22172 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you are using real duck egg skins, then you want to store them in gin to preserve them. I bought 2 ounce glass jars on the internet and filled with gin, put the egg in the jar and fill all the way to the top so that there is no air, then screw on the lid. You skins will stay for years.

Before performance, rinse the egg off and apply spittle (saliva) to the skin. The rest depends on your routine.

Glycerene was suggested, I believe in Routine Manipulation as a way to preserve the skins. Yes, you apply with your fingers and seal in a jar as well, but that my let the egg get flat spots on the skins.

Never put talcum powder on the real skin, it was suggested for the latex egg skin that 'corn starch' a cooking product, be applied to the latex to preserve the life of the latex.

As far as making the skins search the workshop area of the Café, if I remember correctly, it has been discussed extensively in that topic.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sterling Egg / Egg from Flower Petal/Rizla/Toilet Paper etc (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL