We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Origin of the Svengali Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
693 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I have been doing some research and the general consensus seems to be that the Svengali Deck (Long & Short cards) was invented in the 1930's by Burling Hull - can anyone confirm this? I thought that it might have been older than that. I know that the concept of a short card as a locator goes back much further - but the entire deck, with the short card all the same?

Any illumination would be appreciated.

Leslie.
Stories....?....That's telling!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Right source, wrong year. The "Svengali" deck was invented by Burling Hull as "The Cards Mysterious." It was copyrighted in 1909. Too bad that he needed a patent, huh!

This thread tells the story.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/reply......02909138
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
693 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Thanks Bill, I guessed that you would be the one to know more than most. Unfortunately there is an error on the link that you provided and I an unable to access the information, but since it is a link to another Magic Café thread, I should be able to find it.

My re-interest in the deck has been ignited by my son, who has taken a local market stall to pitch Svengali cards and other general public type pocket tricks(I remember when they were all called pocket tricks!). I have been co-opted to stand it when he is away doing 'gigs'.

I have had a few on-line conversations with *********, whom I knew many years ago when he was pitching in Blackpool. He knows a thing or three about the cards!

Leslie.
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 07:19, Leslie Melville wrote:
Thanks Bill, I guessed that you would be the one to know more than most. Unfortunately there is an error on the link that you provided and I an unable to access the information, but since it is a link to another Magic Café thread, I should be able to find it.

My re-interest in the deck has been ignited by my son, who has taken a local market stall to pitch Svengali cards and other general public type pocket tricks(I remember when they were all called pocket tricks!). I have been co-opted to stand it when he is away doing 'gigs'.

I have had a few on-line conversations with *********, whom I knew many years ago when he was pitching in Blackpool. He knows a thing or three about the cards!

Leslie.

Oops! It would seem that he who shall not be named - shall not be named! Is 'Ronnie McLeod' allowed I wonder?

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Origin of the Svengali Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL