The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sanada gimmick? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Sponge egg.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
What is the colour of one of these like?

I'm quite pale skinned, would it affect how it would look in my hand?

Damien Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Like a thumb tip, the color is not as important as some seem to think. However, a bit of make up can handle it if you are concerned about it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Does anyone use the gimmick in question to vanish a silk barehanded? If so, what is the maximum size silk that could be vanished? I have a very thin Italian silk that is 18 inches I want to vanish. Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Like most gimmicks it's what you do with it that counts. I don't use mine at all, but I don't have Scott's routine either. I look at what effects that I want to present and then see which gimmicks can help. I do have a thing about natural hand actions, but some practice will help overcome that. It's cheap enough to find out if it's for you or not.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
Scott is your routine available to buy over here in England from anyone?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

It's available only through me, due to cost considerations--I would lose money on it by offering it through dealers.
My Lybrary Page
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
Scott, about the routine you teach on your video, I have gathered it uses the SG, can it be done without the SG?

I know with a bit of imagination a lot of things could be done, but do you explain a cleaner method?

I'm getting the DVD soon and will probably get a SG just for trial.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
JamesInLA... bare handed vanish? Use a pull if you can, or a hank ball and ditch in topit, pocket... make it simple.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

There isn't a cleaner method as far as I'm concerned. But yes, I used to do the vanish without the gimmick before I knew about it. I'd do a false transfer and reach into the pocket for the purse frame. I don't think it's nearly as clean or strong, though and now I always use the gimmick whenever I perform the routine.
My Lybrary Page
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
In answer to JamesInLA's question about a one-handed vanish with a SG, I don't think that would be practical. The silk has to be pretty small and flat at the moment of vanish. And with that much heat on it, I don't think the SG would be a good choice. The SG is far better for flash appearances from an "empty hand." (Or at least it seems that way to me.)

Henry Evans has a great combination silk vanish (left hand - doesn't use a SG) with a simultaneous one handed silk appearance (right hand - benefits from a SG). I can't recall the name he gave it, but it is in his lecture notes, and possibly on one of his DVDs. Henry's lecture was the first time I saw an SG used, so I bought one immediately, and now have another with Scott's PB & J.

I also saw a great impromptu SG that was a bonus on the "underground" Torn and Restored Newspaper video offered here at The Magic Café a while back by FTAMagician.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I own one and have never tried applying it.
It would be nice for bare handed productions.
I can see some real value in a sponge balls routine, as well as coins.
Daniel Faith
bobdomeros
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobdomeros
So what's the best source for information on working with the Sanada? I'm looking for sleights, moves and subtlety instead of entire routines. Or is it too new?

So who's going to write "Fifty Tricks with a Sanada Gimmick?"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The Sanada gimmick is actually very old.

I'm not an expert on the device, but Jay Scott Berry has some good ideas on it and he even markets some variations of the gimmick itself.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous posting, Henry Evans has a great use for the standard gimmick in a "back in time" type of routine that uses a clear glass and a silk. I don't want to reveal too much, but he uses the Sanada gimmick to Han Ping Chien a silk! Talk about thinking outside of the box.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Scott is obviously a master with the Sanada. I bought it early on; no one had much to offer on it. It seemed clumsy and awkard with very little space. I gave it up immediately and have no desire to relearn it, but Scott should put out a video on this. His posts indubitably indicate that he really has much to offer on it.
MartyK

Bobdomerous,
Just noticed your post. My sentiments exactly. You already have my nomination, Scotty.
Marty K
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Perhaps I will...
My Lybrary Page
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Only use it for vanishing my "glowing" sponge rabbit routine for kids, in combination with a D'lite combo.
There's not room for much more in my hands, but this routine works out well.... Smile
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
277 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
Quote:
On 2003-11-15 02:52, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Perhaps I will...

Hi Scott,

Did you ever post a vid? And, do you have a web site?

Thanks,

Bruce
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Bruce, I think Scott's website and "stuff" have been abandoned.

So I think your answer is NO!

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
277 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
Thanks Frank (I keep running in to you here). That's too bad. He seemed to have some good "stuff" going.

Bruce
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sanada gimmick? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL