We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Tattoos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I figured this to be the best place to post this...

I have a tattoo on my inner forearm that I regret because of my magic. It is large and difficult to hide regardless of being on stage/close-up. Sleeves would seem to be the obvious answer but, being that my concentration is mainly manipulation, sleeves get in my way when performing!

I know this can be a bit tricky but are there any suggestions, views...?
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Why do you want to hide it so badly? I say let people see it. There was a time that tattoos were socially not very acceptable. I think that time is gone. I have one on my shoulder. It is not visible unless I am in a tanktop shirt, but if anyone sees it, I don't mind.

Is it destracting from your routine? Is it inappropriate (naked woman or something)? Why the need to hide it so badly?

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Keith,

Thanks for the reply. It's not that I want to hide it so badly but I figure that people would look at it in a negative way, which would therefore affect the way they see my magic. Am I wrong?

Also, I think it could be distracting. Like I said, it's on my forearm. Imagine me doing card manipulations/close-up with it showing. What do you or anyone else think?

Oh, no, the tattoo is not inappropriate, it shows a name and a date.

Any other thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a big deal. Then again, I work with 125 other firefighters and I would say a third have tattoos. It's very popular with firefighters here for some reason.

I guess some people might feel that it's a negative thing, but I think those people would be the minority now. Tattoos have become much more accepted in the last few years from what I have seen. Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. Smile
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I wouldn't worry about if it's just a tattoo of a name and date. I don't think anyone would care, I wouldn't. If it was a flaming skull with snakes coming out of its eyes, that might be different. That could be distracting. But this doesn't sound like a big deal.

Sidenote: Ricky Jay has a couple of tattoos on his arm. He doesn't seem to make any effort to hide them despite the fact that they are visible when he rolls up his sleeves and performs. No one seems to care.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Have you seen Reed McClintock?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-08-09 13:58, paraguppie wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a big deal. Then again, I work with 125 other firefighters and I would say a third have tattoos. It's very popular with firefighters here for some reason.

I guess some people might feel that it's a negative thing, but I think those people would be the minority now. Tattoos have become much more accepted in the last few years from what I have seen. Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. Smile

I love the fact you are a firefighter and your hands are on fire!!! Smile
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I wear $3,000 worth of custom work on entire left side of chest and lower body. Yes I refer to tattoos. The inkwork began in Georgia and was added to in Korea and Louisiana.

My ink work is extremely important to me and can't imagine living without it. It's that important to me. You may consider having your piece removed if you are that self-conscious about it.

Despite the extensive work on my own body, I have an option to show it in public or not depending on type of shirt.

Trust me I've been to the same restaurant with a "wife beater" shirt exposing tats and asked to leave. On the other hand, showing up at same location in a shirt, tie, and jacket (as I do in most settings) gets me somewhat of a red carpet and table treatment away from the crowd just as I like it.

It's a good deal.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Depending on the size, you could either have a (large?) band-aid or one of those flesh colored wraps for when you sprain your ankle...

A girl I worked with once was a cashier with a large tat on her leg, which was unacceptable to the store. It was summer and hot, so she just used the wrap to cover it...
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Roy:

Yes, I think you're wise in covering it up. I don't know what type of clientèle you perform for, so it may be alright, but many people still react negatively to tattoos and the last thing you want to do is offend a paying client. Say, why take the chance on something like that? It doesn't sound like the tattoo has anything to do with your act, so I say cover it up. Just my humble opinion; others may disagree.

Ron
marctheamazing
View Profile
New user
Gainesville, FL
4 Posts

Profile of marctheamazing
I also suggest covering it up. Obviously you're self-conscious about it, which does affect your confidence level and thus, the strength of your performance. If sleeves are not an option, visit your local costume shop. The odds are good that they have a good tattoo concealer makeup. The costume store where I live carries it all the time and sells a lot of it. Mehron is a company that makes a very good concealer. The pigment is very dense and it's available in a palette with different shades so you can mix to match your skin tone.

Additionally, the costume shop should also have a setting powder that will make the makeup resistant to sweat and water and not rub off on clothing. It'll come off with cold cream or makeup remover.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Here's another topic that hits home with me...Tattoos. It's all part of my look, rock and roll that is. I've got a lightning bolt on my right shoulder and it's easy enough to see, as I don't wear sleeves. Spandex and leather, that's my outfit.

Steve
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I just want to thank everyone for their replies. I guess it just depends on the audience; I recently performed for a group that would be considered the "elite" of our city and they had NO PROBLEM whatsoever about it. I was even performing close-up magic!!!

Anyhow, if anyone else has this same problem, I found a simple solution. I got the idea from the Shimada tapes, where he wears a sock on his forearm to help his dove toss. I've tried it and it works great, as I also use tails and perform the toss.

Thanks for sharing your methods to conceal tattoos as well as your thoughts.

Roy
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Did you know that in Canada you can not give blood for a full year after getting a tattoo? What if people getting tattoos decided to give blood instead?

Since you already have it I say show it! Distracting tattoos could be great misdirection. You could make jokes about it.

The first video demo I saw Reed M do I thought OMG look at all those tattoos! Now think about this. If someone like that could perform for someone like me and win them over how great would that be! It sounds like a fun challenge. It wouldn't surprise me if Reed actually has stories like this.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Depending on what the tattoo is there for, you could even use it in an effect. Force the name and date and viola!

Of course, that may not be appropriate if the tattoo is a remembrance of some sort.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Anybody here ever see Reed McClintock? Amazing full-arm tattoos, plus a full deck ribbon spread across his abdomen...
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I have three tattoos myself, one being the word "magic" on my lower neck which can be seen if I wear a T-shirt or a vest. I have a large tribal tattoo on my left arm that can easily be seen if I wear a T-shirt or short sleeve shirt. Both these are easily covered by a normal long sleeve shirt, which is what I do sometimes, but I often wear a T-shirt or a tanktop when doing night club gigs or parties, depending on what sort of venue it is. But my tattoos are part of my image as a magician and I would show them off at every venue if that was appropriate.

I have done magic at some very "elite" clubs with very rich clientele, stars, business men and other club owners. I never had any problems, in fact it helps separate me from other "suit and tie" magicians. ("He didn't even have any sleeves!!" was often heard as I walked away.) I got many bookings on that fact.

I think as long as your clients know what to expect then no one should have any problems, and your tattoo sounds like nothing to worry about. I like the idea Nicholas mentioned, of using it in effect that could be your signature piece/gimmick. Luke Jermay has some thoughts on this.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
When I see large tatoos on obvious body parts...I always wonder where the person did their prison time....
kulhaq
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of kulhaq
I respect and admire those who have tattoos, as long as they have a story behind them (perhaps with a trick, hint, hint!) Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If the tattoo really needs to be gone, for about $100/square inch you can solve the problem. If it is there because you want it, then it is part of you. The real test is your audience and what it does or does not do to them. What I was told as a young sailor in the US Navy was that a tattoo is a permanent reminder of temporary insanity. But they are certainly popular now. My Phi Beta Kappa niece has several. I doubt it will make her less smart or me any less proud of her.

It is also a fact that people will love you for your faults and hate you for your virtues. Audiences can be very kind when we belong to them. My wife and partner was a ballerina and is still the epitome of grace and form. On the other hand, I enjoyed being a cowboy when I could. Consequently, sometimes I limp and sometimes I don't. So it can be a very blatant comparison on stage. In 42 two years I've never had an audience mention it to me.

If manipulation is really your act and you find someone fixed on your tattoo and you decide to believe worst, there is a line we have all used at some time, "And here's a little trick I learned in prison." That tends to cash the check for them. If they laugh, you're OK.

Don't sweat the small stuff! Entertain them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Tattoos (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL