We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hey, from Indianapolis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newlyn
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of newlyn
Hi all, new member from Indianapolis. I am relatively new to magic in a way. A little background:

Back some 21 years ago I was fascinated with magic as a kid and would go to the local magic shop and drool over everything. I'd save up every penny I could sometimes even going as far as to go collect aluminum cans out of trash in my neighborhood to be able to buy things there. Even though the owner of the shop was very nice he always pushed me toward the props geared more towards little kids, like the sliding pencil box (one of the few I actually remember). Unfortunately, for me this ended with my interests waning, I was excited that, when I watched magic, the performers always seemed so skillful. At my young age, after enough of these types of tricks I began to feel that the skillful show was completely an act and so I stopped buying things.

Now, over the past couple of years I have regained an interest in card magic and have begun to learn some basic sleights. Apart from occasionally performing a couple of tricks for friends or family, my interest is less in performing and more in understanding every aspect of a technique and using these in ways that I haven't seen them. I also really enjoy coming up with a story for a trick or small routine even though I may only perform this one or two times. As always, with real life getting in the way I don't progress as quickly as I would like. That, and the lack of a local magic shop (really? In a metro area of 1.8 million we don't have 1 local magic shop?) has led me to seek out a nice online community to be involved with as time permits.

Outside of magic, I am a research Masters student in computer science and work as a teachers assistant at IUPUI.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome newlyn,

Your story points out clearly that we should not be afraid to occasionally challenge kids.

Magic is a huge art and has lots to offer many different interests.

Glad you've found a better fit in your Magic.

-Mary Mowder
newlyn
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of newlyn
Quote:
On 2011-04-14 15:48, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome newlyn,

Your story points out clearly that we should not be afraid to occasionally challenge kids.

Magic is a huge art and has lots to offer many different interests.

Glad you've found a better fit in your Magic.

-Mary Mowder

To be fair, I think back then the issue was larger than that. Putting myself in that situation I would have to ask myself,
"Can I really trust this little kid not to reveal important techniques that professionals are using?"

Nowadays, I don't think the issue is quite as serious. With the internet being so popular anyone can find out the techniques used so the question now is more,
"Is this kid serious? Would I rather him get bad information online or proper technique through me?"

That's not to say that we don't have to worry about techniques being revealed but there are a lot bigger issues than a couple of kids telling two or three people how a trick works.
RPAYNE40S
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of RPAYNE40S
Good for you. Good luck
ferrismagic
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrismagic
Hi newlyn...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hey, from Indianapolis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL