The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » The greatest bargain you ever find... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 15:45, daddy_bone wrote:
Listen guys this is a forum about Tenyo, not drama!

LOL

I know, it's ridiculous, I'm done wasting keystrokes. Made my point.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Wow...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 18:17, Nicolino wrote:
Wow...

Didn't John just say the same thing?
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of towledge
Hi guys,

Been busy with family stuff lately.

This is a bit off topic but why the flood and I mean flood of new traffic on ebay last few days?
Is Tenyo going out of business or something? It's like a worldwide rush to put stuff up for auction.

Am I missing something?
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 21:14, towledge wrote:
Hi guys,

Been busy with family stuff lately.

This is a bit off topic but why the flood and I mean flood of new traffic on ebay last few days?
Is Tenyo going out of business or something? It's like a worldwide rush to put stuff up for auction.

Am I missing something?

HAHA! I know, it's nuts. People are unloading their Presto inventory while they still can! LOL Smile
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1920 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I'm sorry to say and I don't want to offend anyone, but in my opinion some people are overreacting a bit, they even seem to be a bit frustrated perhaps.
As for me, I have bought a lot of old Tenyo years ago in a shop in Holland (I heard of this Presto Magic a few years ago on this forum by the way but never contacted the guy - so was it a real big secret? Nah ...). I drove 200 miles to Holland and back and bought for approx. 1500 EURO. For my own collection and for spares and for trading purposes. Years ago the only thing that existed was Angelo Carbone's site and Tenyo wasn't as expensive as it now is. I have spent literally hundreds of EURO's to bring my collection to where it is now, also with buying stuff on Ebay (not that long ago COin case for 320 UsD), well the money has to come from somewhere doesn't it?

As I mention on my website my goal is to once have a complete Tenyo collection and when you want that you need hard cash. I have traded a lot and also sold to some people on this forum - and it's very obvious I was asking more then I payed for it .. DUH.
My Tenyo 'balance' by which I mean what it has costed me and what I gained from selling tricks is approx. 0 and I want to keep it that way.
I now buy sometimes on Ebay (foreign sites like .de, .es and .nl) and what do you expect me to do? Shout 'hey guys, look, there's a Crossroads for sale on Ebay.de - let's all bid on it! If you search thoroughly on the internet there are still bargains that you can do ... look up magic shops in the phone book and ask them ... visit cities with magic shops that don't have a website ... ask sellers of small shops that sell second hand Tenyo to contact you when they have a new (old) trick they acquire, ... I mean, do your homework ffs! Do you people have any idea how much trouble and effort (gasoline isn't exactly cheap in Europe) it has costed me over the years? Well forgive me for not mentioning every shop and website on this forum where I bought stuff ... .

When people want to buy something from me I think I always asked decent prices. When they want to buy something I would rather keep as my only spare (like the Nostradamus Clock Bill bought from me, remember Bill Smile ) I mention a high price because I'd rather keep it and know that it will become extremely tough to find in the future - what I ask is what I think is 'enough' for me to buy the same trick when it pops up on Ebay. And if someone wants to give me what I ask it's theirs - law of supply and demand.

I have absolutely no problem with people 'deliberatly hiding' shops that have old Tenyo - when I see Staurtle, MacMac, Nicolino, DLF, Stereo ... have loads of old stuff they are seling on Ebay or directly I slap myself to the head an think "darn, I sould have looked an searched more!" Smile Where Nicolino mainly searches in Germany, Macmac and Stuartle in the U.K, Stereo in France, DLF in th USA, ... I have done my homework in Belgium and Holland. I don't have anymore 'secret' shops,unfortunately Smile And shops are becoming aware of the value of Tenyo, like this Dutch shop which has vintage Tenyo http://www.dynamitemagic.nl (go and take a look, but don't be surprised of the asking prices).

And so what if someone is not really interested in Tenyo and just does it to earn a few bucks? I realy don't see the poblem. Perhaps it isn't ethical in some people's minds, I really don't care, I even congratulate everyone that finds these old tenyo stashes! If it weren't for them lot's of old Tenyo wouldn't even BE for sale on the internet! Ever though about that?

Anyway, I believe I have made my point, and if someone dislikes me for that well so be it. I'm always happy to trade, scan manuals, give advise and sell old stuff for yes, sometimess high prices.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Tweety,

I think the main point has been totally lost. You make some of the same points as John, very cyclical discussion that's gone nowhere.

BTW, no one ever said Presto was a secret, there was an old thread mentioning Presto's Tenyo stash years ago that got very little activity. Everyone knew about it but made it like they had found this SECRET supplier, ridiculous.

To each his own, but the main point is it would be nice to help each other out with our collections through goodwill and trading rather price gouge and monopolize a find for profits. I see this forum as a magic forum first and foremost, collector's forum second, and marketplace third, but that's just me.

MacMac likes trading BTW.

Most of you guys are a clique and there are ill forces at work for which I think is a bit juvenile.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2011-10-15 11:02, Houdini103126 wrote:
Most of you guys are a clique and there are ill forces at work....

May the farce be with you.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Killertweety... thanks

med_doc I am sure our philosophy is close in many areas. I unfortunately allowed one poster to cause me to get a little worked up <g>... that has passed. If you ever have any specific questions you think I may be able to help with please do not hesitate to pm me. Contrary to what one individual has posted I can actually be helpful at times.

I am now heading back to the secret inner old boy's club...<g>

Cheers,

John
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Killertweety- nicely stated.

Houdini103126- I understand your point of wanting folks to think about being helpful to one another. After all, it is part of the reason The Magic Café' was created wasn't it?

At this point I think it's clear some folks are in it for profit, some folks are in it to build collections, and many are also willing to help others. The underlying strength of Tenyo collectors as a group is a shared passion for these little bits of magic and excitement when they find another long sought after piece. I enjoy reading about other's successes and who knows, I may have one to share myself in the future!

It would be nice to think everyone wants to help others and share good finds, sell their extra bargain items at cost, etc. But some folks don't give a ***, and frankly, that's the way it works in this world of ours. So be it, I just don't pay their prices. I can live without this stuff in the end...

I find many people here ARE helpful, and as Killertweety states, usually sell to help build their collections and want to trade for similar rarity or similar cost items. Heck, that's fair.

Now back to the original intent of this topic.

My personal greatest bargains at different times and places are Prison Box for $15.00, Diabolicus for $22.00 (on Ebay if you can believe that...), and Soft Coins for $13.00, all new. My big mistake was not getting Bare Bones when I had the chance for $25.00 about a year ago. I have no idea what the hell was wrong with me that day!! Anyway, I haven't been so lucky to get rare stuff for next to nothing, but I was excited to get the things I have.

Thanks folks!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Some nice deals 723... I just received a Tenyo wooden card frame (made by Mikame). Paid $118 on ebay not a bad price given what this item has sold for in the past... very nice piece... although I think the "action" is faster on the newer version.

John
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-10-15 17:05, J M Talbot wrote:
Killertweety... thanks

med_doc I am sure our philosophy is close in many areas.

Yeah right John, I'm sure you're philosophy is very close to med_doc's, now you're a sycophant to top it off. He's a physician so you're philosophy must be like his, par for the course considering your high opinion of yourself.

Quote:
I unfortunately allowed one poster to cause me to get a little worked up <g>...

Be careful getting worked up John, you might fall down and hurt yourself.

Quote:
If you ever have any specific questions you think I may be able to help with please do not hesitate to pm me. Contrary to what one individual has posted I can actually be helpful at times.

What a brown noser.

Quote:
I am now heading back to the secret inner old boy's club...<g>

Say hello to club president Felix for me!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Just to clairify... Killertweety is President, Felix is Treasurer... although he has a good shot at President next term.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
My apologies, in the interest of full disclosure I meant to post the Agenda of our upcoming meeting...

Tenyo Old Boys's Club - October Meeting

1) Determine source of Presto leak... must be eliminated
2) Have we finally acquired all remaining copies of Ninja Experiment?
3) 723 acquires Prison Box for $15... unacceptable
and finally something we can only quietly refer to as the "HH experiment"

Scotch and cigars following business session
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2011-10-15 21:23, J M Talbot wrote:
My apologies, in the interest of full disclosure I meant to post the Agenda of our upcoming meeting...

Tenyo Old Boys's Club - October Meeting

1) Determine source of Presto leak... must be eliminated
2) Have we finally acquired all remaining copies of Ninja Experiment?
3) 723 acquires Prison Box for $15... unacceptable
and finally something we can only quietly refer to as the "HH experiment"

Scotch and cigars following business session

As per agenda item #3, am I allowed 2 minutes for a defense? (It was a moment of rash exuberance...)

I may be a dash late as I need to pack. I've got to polish up my German too! Lastly, is beer served during the meeting? Seems only right being in Germany and all. I'll have a Bitburger Pils please..."Bitte Ein Bit" !
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Be aware that a blindfold is required for the last 100km's of the trip. Yes beer is acceptable for invited guests. You will be required to fully disclose the Prison Box source, we will "take care" of the rest.

John
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2011-10-15 22:07, J M Talbot wrote:
Be aware that a blindfold is required for the last 100km's of the trip. Yes beer is acceptable for invited guests. You will be required to fully disclose the Prison Box source, we will "take care" of the rest.

John

Awwww...I hate those dang blindfolds! But, for a good German Beer, what the heck. Can you use a Tenyo silk for the blindfold though?

(now I need to work on my Prison Box defense)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes everyone does... however Felix insists. Of course we use a Tenyo silk... what else?

And please do not try the "I only thought I was getting a good deal" defense... we've heard it before.

John
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for attending the gathering, gentlemen!

Of course, snacks and beverages will be served for all of you. Beer in mind, though, that no wining about hypocrisy will be tolerated - we are here for one goal only: taking over the Tenyo world!

PS: The 'HH Experiment' will most probably require the consiliary aid of a doctor, so we count on you, med_doc!
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I will vouch for med_doc... I believe he is "one of us"... I have just about completed the background check. There is one questionable photo I have found with a Chu's magic prop... other than that he appears clean.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » The greatest bargain you ever find... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL