The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Cases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
After reading some of the comments here about cases for figures, I took the plunge and ordered four Clinton Detweiler cases last night (Already have a case for Niblet, who is smaller than the rest, and another for the duck, who shall remain nameless for the moment). Always get a little nervous and twitchy when spending more than ten bucks at a time...so bear with me today. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to herniating the mailman. Smile

-Philip
Dash & Me
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Dash & Me
Philip

I just ordered my second case from Clinton. If you've never owned one of his cases I think you will be pleased. They are very well constructed, strong yet lightweight.

Troy
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Thanks, Troy...that helps to calm me down in my moments of spending stress. Smile

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Hate to tell you, but you won't be hurting the mailman (or whoever delivers them). I had a couple Maher cases years ago, they are VERY light, (but still VERY protective).

I've been buying brand new cases for my figures too, I've gotten five so far, want to get at least one more. They're a little heavier than the Maher cases though which are about 5 lbs., these are about 14 lbs. which still isn't bad (really, how far do we actually carry them), and I have to do the cushioning and lining myself, but I've only been paying 50. each for them, so I'm glad to do the work.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Any pictures of the cases to share?
I was thinking of a case that can double up as a table for the puppet.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
I've had one of Clinton's cases since the early to mid 1980's and it looks great. In fact I used it last evening. I had a slip cover made of a leather like material to go over it to keep rain, dust, and snow off the case while I was traveling the fair circuit. Now I use the case cover all the time. It's a great product!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I almost owned one of Clinton's cases; I ordered one, it was stolen from the front of my door and Clinton did not have a replacement.

The figure case I did wind up with has a very nice finish and I went to Goodwill and got a beat up suitcase to put the figure case into; it has wheels and a handle for easy transport; my plan now is to take the figure case out of the suitcase at the truck and carry in the nice figure case.

Purchasing a waiter tray table makes a nice stand to place the case on and I am going to put my name on the lid so it will be visible while I perform.
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
Congrats on your purchase! Clinton makes outstanding stuff, IMHO! I bought a nice steamer type trunk off Ebay and it easily houses two figures. It also has wheels on one end and isn't too heavy either. One day I'll get me a case like the one Brody used in "Dummy". I really like that leather look case but they are very expensive! IF anyone know where I can get a good deal on one, please let me know! Love those leather straps and decorative rivets all over.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Buzz...it was stolen? Isn't there somebody with insurance on these things? :-(
Mark...I'm glad to hear it! These cases may last longer than I will then!
maps...I'll see if I can find a link to those Detweiler cases.
Capt. Kirk...You just reminded me. I need to watch "Dummy" again. Really like that film. The wisest character in the whole thing is the vent figure!
Blueshawk...Yeah, I could've just replaced the handles on the four cases I own and added more latches and additional padding...but, y'know, I make myself promises like that all the time that I don't have time to fulfill! :-D

What prompted me to rethink cases is that I wound up throwing out the Samsonite suitcase that Louie (my original one) has used since about 1966 (the latches were shot)...and Louie (the newer Hartz one) wouldn't have fit in it anyway. I had purchased four cases at Hobby Lobby that I thought looked pretty good, and had begun replacing the latches. I won a regional Emmy for a show I produced, and was asked to give a presentation at a local service club, so I took one of the four cases along, with the Emmy and a few other awards inside. As I was walking along the sidewalk downtown, the handle and the case parted ways. BANG!
Time to consider new cases for the vent figures. Metal awards don't break all that easily...basswood and fibreglass and wood putty do.
So I did some research and Clinton's cases seemed to come out on top (No surprise there, eh?)...but I held off considering an 800 dollar expense. Finally took the plunge. Now I await delivery with bated breath.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

What prompted me to buy a bunch of new cases was having gotten a few new figures in recent months. I started doing the usual hunting for cases, suitcases, the right size, which is difficult at best trying to find stuff the right size. Years ago I found out that there were a lot of older vintage type suitcases that were great sizes for figures, but sometime between the last time I went looking and this time, vintage suitcases have become a hot decorative item so they're harder to get at a decent price.
Then I tripped on these new cases I've been buying, and I liked the look, the price was right, so I've been buying more than I need. I don't have time to do their cushioning and lining now because of getting ready to move, (using blankets in the cases for now), but once I get my shop set back up afterward, it will be a pretty easy task to get that done. May even grab some extras before we go to cushion and line and resell.

Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
I like Mark have had my Clinton Case since the late 70's and it is still going strong. A very good investment to protect the figure.

Chuck Lyons
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
So, blueshawk1,

Just curious, what type of case have you been buying?

Thanks,
Keith
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Thanks for the input, Chuck! I'm feelin' happier for my purchases every minute!

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Keith - they look like trunks, I know there's something else I could compare them to that would convey what they look like, but it's not coming to me right now. After I get one cushioned and lined I'll post pictures.
Philip - you really don't need anything to make you happier about your purchase, they are very good and will last, and getting nice new cases meant for your figures is so much nicer than trying to find suitcases that will work.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
I know, I just hate spending money altogether. Smile

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I can relate to that, well, I don't hate it, but I hate spending more than I have to which makes me a notorious price shopper. While the Maher cases are very nice, the smallest size is over 200. with the shipping - for me personally, it's too much, I had to do better than that, but it can be VERY hard when looking for something brand new the right size for figures. I've had no luck in the past, I got lucky this time which is why I'm trying to gather as many as I can while I can, figure if I end up with more than I need, I'm sure I'll be able to find homes for any extras.

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 00:48, blueshawk1 wrote:
Keith - they look like trunks, I know there's something else I could compare them to that would convey what they look like, but it's not coming to me right now. After I get one cushioned and lined I'll post pictures.

Thank you, sir. I look forward to your pics.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I look forward to them too because it will mean the move is done, we're somewhat settled in and my shop is pretty much set back up.
Unfortunately, we're probably talking months before I'm at that point...... Smile

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;

I was not responsible for the cost; Clinton was the shipper, I believe he filed a claim with FedEx, it was the last one he had in stock so he could not replace it until he placed an order with the manufacture for the shell, then he had to cut and install the padding; Clinton needs to do this outdoors, so he could not do it until the warmer weather

I ordered a Selberg case, but Dan did not fit in it correctly so I returned it.

I hate spending money also.

BTW congratulations on the regional Emmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Cases (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL