The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Source for hair/head bands? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Hello,

I just received the Hairbands DVD as well as Rounds & Hearts DVD. I would like to try making my creations on hairbands like the items on both these DVDS.

Does anyone have a source for bulk hairbands like the ones used on the DVDs.

Thanks
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
You may want to check your local fabric/craft stores. I found a place local to me where I can get them cheap. I know some people have been using http://www.hair-hardware.com as a source. The hairbands are really popular with my clients.
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
If you want to try out Hairbands but don't want to commit to a few hundred of them all at once, you can usually find packs of 5 to 7 hairbands for $1 at your local dollar store.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks guys I have ordered 100 from Hair hardware. Not ready for 1800 unit box yet.
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Ryan, I'm sure you'll enjoy the DVD and your clients will love the hairbands. I don't know how many other people do this, but I don't always cover up the hairband with a 350. My hairbands are black, and for the Mickey and Minnie Mouse especially, I don't cover up the hairband. It saves a bit of time and some balloons. A big Thanks to Alberto for developing the concept. They have become a very popular addition to my arsenal.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
WHat does is breakdown to for a cost per head band?
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Hi KevinR, I usually buy the headbands from hair hardware and cost is about 13 cents each. I mostly use them at events where there's always a few teens and older adults who want to wear balloons, but not necessarily a balloon hat like the younger kids. I've had a lot of success with the concept.
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
I am interested in learning more about this headband DVD you speak of. Details please. Thanks!
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
The DVD is cleverly entitled, "Hairbands." It is by Alberto Nava. I just checked, and Tmyers has it in stock. Here is the link : http://www4.mailordercentral.com/tmyersm......dept=324 . As someone who likes to store rats on her head,:) you will appreciate this: When someone asks for a Mickey or Minnie Mouse, and I don't have the time (which is frequently)to make the full twisted Mickey, and I don't want to break out my expensive Disney "Official" Mickey heads, I will make the Mickey or Minnie Mouse hairband taught on this DVD. There is stuff for the kids, and stuff for grown ups on this DVD. Alberto does a great job explaining everything on the DVD. He teaches a lot of great stuff, but these are really just a starting point for your own creativity. Although anyone with no creativity will still get a lot of great usable material. I've come up with a bunch of stuff to stick on peoples heads.
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
Thanks for the info on the headband DVD, Steve. I am seriously considering purchasing this, especially since I found the "7 for $1" headbands at Dollar Tree today, which I figure is about 14 cents a piece (definitely within my el cheapo budget). The balloon headband featured on the pic at TMyers looks very simple. Would you say that most of the balloon headbands on the DVD are about the same level of difficulty? How many balloons do most of them require? Are they quick enough for line work?

Clearly, these creations are ALMOST as cool as wearing a laboratory rat on your head.
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I would say that the balloons taught on this DVD are not that difficult to make. In the Mickey Sorcerer hat, he does not explain how to make the base, but references Don Caldwell's Mad Hatz and Wild Wearables #5. I would not let that stop you from your purchase. It is not hard to figure out. I would say that most require about 3-4 balloons, and these are certainly quick enough for line work.
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
Coolio, Steve. And I have Mad Hatz #5, so that's not a problem. Thanks.
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Hi Clownybeth - I would say that the balloons taught on Alberto Nava' headbands DVD range from easy to intermediate in difficulty. But the best part of the hairbands concept is you can attach ANY balloon to the headband - even something as simple as a six petal flower or little balloon doggie. The hairband concept really works because it's a great way to wear balloons on your head without the bulkiness of a hat, and it lends itself to using any kind of twisted balloon of any skill level.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-04-19 16:56, Ryan Price wrote:
Thanks guys I have ordered 100 from Hair hardware. Not ready for 1800 unit box yet.

that's 29 cents each.. Kinda pricey.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Maybe a little pricey but the results I got with them were well worth it. I used them while busking this weekend and they were extremely well received.

I think it will be a perfect fit for teenagers and women. I will be ordering 1800 white and 1800 black when I run out of the first 100.
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Hi Kevinr - you get a good break the more headbands you buy from the website. Ordering only about 100 will cost you quite a bit more. I've found hairbands at the dollar store for 7/$1 - only about 14 cents each!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
That's a good price Smarty Pants.. I will look into that.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I use the thin hair bands for my bracelet balloons they are at the dollar store 100/$1
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
Got the Hairbands DVD yesterday and am very excited about it. What a fun alternative to hats! If only I'd had the DVD before the Royal Wedding! Smile
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Where do you find a source or balloon for the Mickey sorcerer hat
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Source for hair/head bands? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL