The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking For A Starting Place (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AgentM
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
1 Post

Profile of AgentM
For about three years know I've been trying to start magic but I just can't seem to find a good starting point. I want to jump right in but I have no idea what I'm suppose to do. Can anyone help me?
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Mark Wilson's book - See if you can check it out from your library first.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Try reading the sticky at the top of this section, "Recommended books for beginners"

Hudson
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Stop trying, start doing. It doesn't matter what. Only by doing stuff will you discover what rocks your boat.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Ditto to the above posts. Read the sticky at the top about "Recommended books for beginners" and then see if those are available at your local library. I would also recommend visiting a local magic shop to discuss starting out with the magicians there. They may be able to help you with suggestions for books, sleights, etc. as well as get you fired up by entertaining you with some great stuff. Good luck, and enjoy your journey!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-04-19 08:17, djurmann wrote:
Stop trying, start doing. It doesn't matter what. Only by doing stuff will you discover what rocks your boat.

Are you saying "It's better to go out and do something than to stay at home and plan something."?
J. Talksalot
You know why don't act naive.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Getting started in magic can be cheap or really expensive. It doesn't take lots of expensive props to present good magic. As stated above, books are one of the best ways to begin. If you are not an avid reader or have trouble visualizing what the text is trying to get across, you might look into some videos or DVDs. Unfortunately, not all magicians who write books are good writers but there is a wealth of good information out there.

To get started, you may want to buy a few tricks from a magic shop. This route is more expensive, but will get you a small set of magic that you can perform rather quickly. Beware of the latest flavor of the month tricks. Some are good, but many are not. By reading the classic books and studying the history of magic you will find that many of the "latest fad tricks" are over 100 years old. They are often sold today for lots of money yet available in magic books for free.

Best of luck on your journey. Respect the art, but don't be afraid to make mistakes. The way you recover from them will help define your magic.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of jakubr
I also think books would give you strong foundations. But if you'd like to start something before you put money into books here's what you can do:

You can go on theory11.com page, and learn 2 tricks for free there (including one of the classic card sleights). I believe ellusionist.com also offer some free tutorials.

Watch some instructional video clips, like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUwY-hb8I_I (lots of good advices in there).
Then try to perform something you've learned that way, for your friends. And see how you feel about this.

This way you'll learn a lot already, as you'll find out how regular practice is important, how to present material, etc.

And if you like it, then, invest in good books for beginners, like the ones suggested before, and your on Royal Road to becoming good magician Smile
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Yeah check out the local library and see if they have the Mark Wilsons book. As rklew64 mentioned above.

What really got me started is Michael Ammars material. He has many different DVD's on magic.

The Tarbell Course is a must have book series if your seriously interested in the craft.

The newest book and DVD I would have enjoyed reading first. Is the Joshua Jay Complete Book of Magic. It runs for $20. I would of loved that book when I was starting out. I enjoy it now and use some of the material from it. You can get it at your local bookstore.

Hope that helps.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2011-04-19 04:14, AgentM wrote:
For about three years know I've been trying to start magic but I just can't seem to find a good starting point. I want to jump right in but I have no idea what I'm suppose to do. Can anyone help me?

Hello AgentM
Whenever you START something there is always a goal towards the finish in anything.

Ask yourself a few questions. What made you want to get started in magic? Was it someone you saw? Was it a TV show? Were they performing on stage or was it street magic? Was it a person reading a mind? If, for instance, it was a TV special where street magic was being performed and it really peeked your interest, well then seeking that particular area of magic is were you should start your investigation......You say you've been trying for 3 years to get started. Seems like you have to try certain areas of magic, such as close-up, which can be broken into many categories IE: cards, coins, manipulations etc. etc. Maybe it was a stage show, lots of different types/areas there too.

What do "YOU" like? What peeks "YOUR" interest? Lots of good references given above BUT you have to find what you like and the only way to find that out is by experimenting. It's sort of like dating. You'll never find the right person if you are not playing the field. Sometimes it happens quickly while other times it takes some work. Only you can make that decision.
(Sometimes an area of magic finds you!)

For me, I got interested later in life when I purchased some close-up magic as a gift for someone. (A card packet trick, coin in bottle and Scotch & Soda) In the midst of learning the effects to show them to that someone, I was hooked. My focus time and attention went to close-up effects, then to cards then to small stand-up effects then to effects for larger audiences and it blossomed from there. My main focus is still close-up and strolling magic in that I work allot of restaurants and strolling gigs. I also perform stand up shows for private as well as corporate events.....so....for me, my starting point was learning close-up material......

Necessity is the mother of invention! When I started working restaurants people would ask me if I did birthday parties etc.
Well if I wanted that work I had better have something to offer. So...exploration and learning routines to accommodate these venues expanded my repertoire. OK I rambled on enough...You get my point.

"ENJOY" the journey,
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Excellent advice above!

Something we need to ask is what you mean by “trying to start”?

Would you like to learn how to do some magic tricks?

Or

Do you already KNOW how to do some magical things, and would like to start showing them to others?

The answers are vastly different!

In the latter case, djurmanm is exactly right. Just start doing. Friends at work or school, family members, even strangers at the mall; it doesn’t matter!

If it’s the former, locate some books before you ever set foot in a magic shop. Learn what can be done with some paper clips and a dollar bill, or a ping pong ball and some Styrofoam cups. Seriously, it’s the best “education” you can get.

When you finally get to the magic shop (you really should go) it’ll be a completely different experience, because their focus is on sales! Whereas in the books, everything is laid out for you, inside the shop, it’s all a big secret (until you part with your money!)

The good ones (and there are some bad) will have someone there who can talk to you about your experience level and what you’d like to do with your magic, and can recommend things that might be appropriate for you.

Understand that their interest is financial (without money they couldn’t stay open), but once they see that you’re not just looking for some free entertainment, most will open up to you. Become a “regular”, and they’ll start sharing things you’d never imagine!

One more avenue to try is to locate a local magic club. You should be able to find an I.B.M. or S.A.M. group in most “medium sized” cities. They won’t mind you stopping by a few times to check things out, and you’ll probably learn something there that you wouldn’t get elsewhere. Membership is a definite benefit!

In the mean time, there’s the Café, without reservation the friendliest magic community on the web.

Welcome Aboard!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Every thing above is gold. And here follows my 2 pence worth

I helped someone last year get into magic. From my experience I drew up this list below. It easy to go to the magic shop each week and buy gaffed set tricks which there is nothing wrong with. But you end up with lots of bits that only do one thing and might need resting. I feel with the list below you have a varied amount of work to view and play with.

The first items give you a routine you can do out and about. They also come in handy later as well. I carry a invisible deck with me in case a card trick goes wrong and I lose the selected card. 2nd up again you will use these all over the place they can play big and there’s a lot you can do. £ed on the list is a option if you want to go that way do if not there is plenty more out there. And the fourth thing these DVD give you a variety of stuff with card coins rope and other stuff. It a mix bag also you get to know some classic performers and there work.

1- Invisible deck /TT plus silk/ spotty dot paddles- 15pounds
2- Mark Wilsons book/ 2 pack Cards/ Sponge balls/ rope. 22pounds
3- Cups and balls/ multiplying balls. 30pounds
4- Darlys Foller Doller DVD. 75pounds
This all in all cost around 142 British pounds .

The friend I helped is now looking into his performance so I have recommended this Beyond Deception, Tobias Beckwith.
Keep going and good luck.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
P.Synenberg
View Profile
New user
Abingdon, Va
58 Posts

Profile of P.Synenberg
You didn't mention how old you are, if you are living allowance to allowance if you will, you will find it tough to buy books and dvds. At least I know I did at that age. That being said, never forget about amazon.com I recently acquired Mark Wilson's book for the second time for only like 8 bucks, I believe the first time I paid in excess of 20 for it.... and don't shy away from video tuts either as stated earlier...
-P.J. Synenberg
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Find a magic store near you. A true brick-and-mortar. Browse a few tricks, talk to the employees. I have found and heard that most magic store employees, no matter where from, are very friendly and helpful. Maybe they'll point you to a local club, IBM ring, or SAM ring. It's always good to communicate with other magicians, so get out there and start posting all over MagicCafe!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I agree with the advice regarding Mark Wilson's book. I am a 37-year veteran of magic, and I just bought it. Great to reinforce all the stuff I had forgotten!

Jay Sankey's site ( http://www.sankeymagic.com ) also has some free tricks you can download. Learn these and go on from there!

Good luck and don't give up! Feel free to contact me (or probably any of us) anytime!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking For A Starting Place (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL