The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Because what we need is another magic blog... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Greetings everyone. I'd like to take this opportunity to announce my brand new magic blog, Magic Book Report. I know you're thinking that the magic community can hardly deal with all the blogs that already exist, let alone adding another, but I think this is a worthy addition to the blogosphere.

Ostensibly, the site is a video-based monthly book review of some publication from magic's past or present. My ulterior motive, however, is to promote the use of books as a primary source for learning magic. I certainly understand the irony of using a video review to promote the benefits of books, but it is the video-based community that I'm primarily trying to reach.

In addition to the book review itself, I will be performing a number of selections from the book to give viewers a flavor of what the book is about and the kinds of material it contains.

For the very first entry the selection was The Stars of Magic. It is an absolute classic and as such is more than justified as the inaugural selection. In addition to the review, 5 effects are performed. As you might imagine, none of them are magician foolers but for regular spectators this is some excellent material.

You may also notice that I don't actually use the names of the effects anywhere. This is intentional to keep people unfamiliar with the effects from just "Googling" a poorly exposed version.

Your patronage and comments, whether here or on the blog itself, are appreciated and welcome. Thanks.

http://www.magicbookreport.com
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Steven,

Really nicely done. I love the demos. It made me anxious to revisit "Stars." I can see it working the way you envisioned and some of the video-only guys getting excited to check out the book. I loved your handling of the slow-mo Assembly. It fooled me badly, which is always a treat. Thanks for demoing it!
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
480 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Steven,

I like the idea and I think your blog design looks great. It was nice to see you perform some of the effects from the book too. I also liked how you gave the book 3 different ratings by trying to see it through the eyes of different groups/types of magicians.

Thanks for taking this project on. I look forward to next months installment.

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Great work, Kyle! Keep it up.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Well done! Not only a great idea for the blog, but also design is very clean and nice to look at. I'll make sure I'll check it from time to time. Thanks!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks for that, Steve.

Your blog project is an ambitious project and, if subsequent episodes are as interesting as the initial one, I, and many more, will be eagerly awaiting each episode with bated breath.

When I first read "Stars of Magic" many years ago, it was just as I was beginning my magic journey and, while I was fascinated by the magic revealed therein, quite frankly, I wasn't ready for the book and was intimidated by the magic and moves being discussed in that book. And so, I put the book up on the shelf and, unfortunately, forgot about it. Now, like Fritz, your video performances has caused me to once again bring out my copy of the book, dust it off, and this time give it a serious re-read with the eye to actually incorporating some of the effects into my repertoire.

I enjoyed each of the videos. My favorite of the five? The Ace Assembly and your beautiful handling of same. Close second was "Triumph". Your performances demonstrate once again that the book was aptly named "Stars of Magic.

Thanks again.

Mike

P.S. Regarding the cups and balls video ending, the correlation between the ending visual and your last comment almost flew by me. I immediately understood the audible comment (I love puns) but almost missed the correlation with the video display (a visual pun). That said, and while I found humor in such, I don't think that I could ever pull it off. Kind of reminds me of Whit Haydn's use and mastery of the double entendres in his "Mongolian Pop-Knot" routine. Still chuckling as I recall both Whit's and your performances here.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Steven,

This is great. Fills an important niche. Thanks for doing it, and I'm looking forward to future episodes.

Jason
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
I love it. Its very well set up. I just love the overall look. I really like the fack you include performances in the review. that's a major plue.

Mike
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1088 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Wow, that was great. Thanks, Steven! Looking forward to more in the months to come.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Smashing Sir..

I Commend You for giving the 'Preview' of routines in said books and giving those a view so they know what to expect and can make a rational decision about purchasing or not
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Very, very enjoyable. Thanks.
oldngrey
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of oldngrey
You created something nice! I really like your style.
To avoid any confusion...
Llynus
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Llynus
Very good, I'll be waiting for the next installment =)
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2011-04-19 14:14, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Great work, Kyle! Keep it up.

Sorry, that should have read "Keyl". I blame the hangover.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1892 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Gonna have to pull out my copy of Stars of Magic back out.
Excellent.

I wish I had the knowledge to be able to produce a site as nice as yours.

For some reason the "coins thru" video stopped half way through.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
This should be good; the OP is invariably one of the best contributors here
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
I like the palm to get rid of the red cards in the scarne trick from stars of magic; totally missed it the first time -- though I suppose I was taken by a kind of misdirection you can't generally count on, looking for it to follow the book. in any event, nicely executed. very nice triumph, too.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I found it pretty nice and I like how you break down your rating.

Can't wait to see more...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
IanL
View Profile
New user
Washington State
83 Posts

Profile of IanL
Well done. Are you taking suggestions for future books?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

slyhand, the Coins through Table demo is only choppy when NOT viewed in full screen mode. In other words, it behaves better in full screen mode than it does in the smaller window. Why? I have no idea.

Andrew, sounds like you need a little hair of the dog.

IanL, sure I'm taking suggestions for future books. I know what the next one will be, but after that, what do you have in mind?

Thanks again, everyone. Your comments are gratifying and greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Because what we need is another magic blog... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL