The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello, everyone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Hello, everyone. I would like to introduce myself and explain why registered on this site.

Like most male children, I got interested in magic when I was about twelve years old. I pursued the hobby as much as my meager funds and lack of local library or magic shop would allow. I actually got to the point where I performed a few shows, then at about age fifteen I discovered girls and music and left magic behind.

Now at age 56 I have picked up the magic hobby again. I started by digging out the few props and books I still had left and found that I was really enjoying handling all that equipment again. I got several books and videos from the library, bought a few things through an on-line magic store, and started organizing my material.

The thing that really hooked me was performing a magic demonstration for the Children’s department at the library I work at. A few weeks before the Children’s program I had done a demo for the Teen group. There were about six kids and was expecting similar attendance for the Children’s program. I walked into the room and there were 98 people! I performed about ten tricks, starting with the Mark Wilson cups and balls routine. I finished the routine with a load production of 2-inch sponge balls, and I heard that magical moment when the audience gasps in surprise before they start applauding. That moment, when I could actually hear the audience’s amazement, totally hooked me.

I am enjoying learning new tricks, and relearning some of my old routines from an adult perspective. I have really enjoyed studying the history and theory of magic, something I wasn’t really even aware of in my youth. I have already found this site to provide a wealth of information and hope I can add something worthwhile to it as well.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome darylrogers,

Congratulations on a great show.

Applause really is addictive.

-Mary Mowder
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Thank you, Mary. But it wasn't really the applause, though that was nice, too! It was that moment of surprise, that intake of breathe before the applause.

Jim Steinmeyer said it best in the book "Hiding the Elephant." He wrote "A few great magicians – determined performers who wouldn’t merely tell a story but persevered in their efforts to demonstrate the most wonderful fantasies – have always realized that these ephemeral, temporary miracles could be restorative for their audiences. They listen for the brief pause between the end of the trick and the start of the applause – the split second when the entire audience shares a gasp of genuine amazement. At that moment there’s always been an honorable quality in illusion."
Bill Schap
View Profile
New user
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 Posts

Profile of Bill Schap
I feel almost foolish to say welcome since I am also a new member, but glad you're here!. Felt the need to leave a message because our stories are nearly identical. Our age is within a year and my history matches yours almost word for word. Live in florida now, but when the magic bug got me I was in South Dakota with the nearest magic shop nearly 300 miles away in Minneapolis. So had to make do with books from the library, etc. Luckily I'm a pack rat and held onto nearly everything I had in the 70's, so I've got something to work with. Just keep thinking of how much I could have advanced had I not let it drop for 30 or so years! Anyway, lots of good luck. Your off to a great "re-start"!
Bill Schap (My user name is being changed to my real name)
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
There's a lot of us who can share that story. Mine, too. Great thing about it is check the local magic shops and the threads here and you'll find many of the same effects that were popular when we were kids are the same ones people swear by now. Welcome back.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Thank you, Bill, and to everyone. I have already been made to feel very welcome here and I really appreciate it. From some of the posts I have been reading, it seems there are a lot of us baby-boomer types who are getting back to our magical roots. It is so interesting coming back to magic with an adult point of view; it is all so much deeper and more profound than I could ever have understood when I was a kid.

Rsylvester, I'm glad to hear that those same "old" effects are still popular. I am building my show around what I call the "classic parlor magic" effects - cups and balls, linking rings, Chinese sticks, milk pitcher, etc. And from the few shows I have done so far they all still seem to go over very well.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Welcome! I started on my magical journey at the tender age of 48. I have enjoyed every minute of it since. You will find the Café a great place with lost of wonderful people. Enjoy!
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Hi , I'm a new member to ;im sort of the opposite to you as in just started a year ago but I seem to be getting on well , I did a show some months back and there was about 100 ish people too and I did mentalism including a trick where I predict a card a spectator shuffled to the top of the deck ( prediction being in an envolope for all to see ) and I know excctly what you mean about the pause befor applause alothough in my case he stood and just said , well @:~< me I don't want to put the swear but he did, hope your show go well for you.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Simon,
That's pretty funny.
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
You've inspired me to pull out the Chinese sticks and linking rings. Actually, saw a couple of videos on this sight that gave me some ideas for using them. The more things change ...
Stapper
View Profile
New user
the netherlands
91 Posts

Profile of Stapper
Quote:
On 2011-04-25 21:39, 723sabre wrote:
Welcome! I started on my magical journey at the tender age of 48. I have enjoyed every minute of it since. You will find the Café a great place with lost of wonderful people. Enjoy!

Well, that's like me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello, everyone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL