The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Misled or just passin thru?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
devin_devil
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of devin_devil
I have seen the video of both and thought that both are the same. However I would like to know which is easier to perform and which is more worthy?? Smile
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Misled and JPT (Just Passin' Thru) are two COMPLETELY different gimmicks. I'm not sure how much I can say without revealing anything, but I feel that they are both equally powerful and Misled just BARELY beats out JPT. JPT has a better "start" premise and requires just a little more effort on your part. Misled is more examinable after the trick is over than JPT, but the pencil melt is equally 'clean'. You may also want to look at Jay Sankey's Dough, it requires no gimmick and everything can be borrowed. I just want to mention that I have heard Dough doesn't get a strong enough response versus Misled (I haven't heard any comparison versus JPT, but I figure it would be the same).

Hope I helped... off to your next question

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Howdy:

I have done both and the truth is that they ARE different and each has strong and weak points. Here goes....IF you want a trick that can be examined right after it is done with no switch of the pencil then Misled is for you. The angles in Misled are really bad needing the audience right in front of you, but the effect is superb.

Just Passin' has better angles and the penetration is just simply stunning. I have done Misled for 20 years, long before Copperfield made it famous and I am a total fan, but Just Passin' Thru is really a better effect in my opinion. You get the dup pencil to switch out, but you almost never have to do so as the gimmicked pencil looks so normal the audience is misdirected away.

Over all I would give a slight nod to Just Passin'. Also....There is a bonus trick on the Just Passin' DVD that is in some ways better than the original trick! It involves the penetration of a finger thru a borrowed bill and I'm tellin' you...it is a stone KILLER. Best,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
I can't get enough of JPT! It works great in small stage settings too and is actualy better there since on stage you can just move on after the effect. I use it to see if a spectator would be willing to part with a bill (and not just a lowly one dollar sometimes Smile ) to see "the fastest trick in the world." You would be supprised to know what some people are willing to give!
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
They are both excellent! Get them both, and you'll have two different, superb pencil thru bill effects.
Smile
F. Zandura
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Sorry to differ with everyone here but I much prefer Misled and here's why:

Misled has a MAJOR advantage of the penetration stage where you stick the pencil right thru the bill complete with the stinging sound of the bill ripping. This gets big cringes and everyone squirms! I love that!

Then you pull the pencil out downwards ripping the bill up further - the sound of the bill tearing is so real you'll fool yourself! People really cry out "Oh no..." when I do that because I too act shocked! To be frank, I almost always think I accidentally REALLY do rip the bill, but thankfully the bill is safe - but my facial expressions of worry help boost the effect.

Then the slow-mo penetration is very very wicked and drives people nuts - and it's EXAMINABLE. To some it matters, to some it doesn't.

What I also like about it is that it is a normal pencil that everyone is familiar with.

I will admit that JPT is a visual feast, but I personally was not very impressed - I found the effect to be less powerful that Misled. This is just based on my own feelings, these are just my opinions.

I'm a big fan of the whole penetration thing so I prefer Misled anyways. So that's my pick. JPT is good, but in my books, Misled is great.

Take care all,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I recommend Tim Wenk's Misled. I don't believe the angles are that bad. DC did this many years ago on TV and floored a lot of magicians with this one.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My vote goes for JPT. The angles are better, it is as clean--you switch out the pencil if you're a worrier, but then, you have to hold out a gimmick with Misled--the slo-mo melt through is MUCH more convincing, you can show both sides of the bill at virtually every point in the routine, plus you get the instruction booklet that is every bit as good or better than Misled's in addition to a DVD! I feel it's a better value and a stronger effect. If you're only gonna get one, I say get JPT.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I have been using Misled for years, and it has never failed me. Great effect.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I have both and go with JPT.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
i think misled has the edge.....heres what the audience sees,,,,,,,,,,the pencil is a regular #2 yellow pencil,,,,,,which can possibly be borrowed,,,,,,,,the bill is also borrowed,,,,,,first you put the pencil through the center of the bill with a slight penetration sound,,,,,,show it clearly through the bill,,,,,,,then you tear the pencil down leghthwise through the bill and they can hear a ripping sound,,,,,,then show the bill totally unharmed,,,,,then a refolding of the bill and a very visual melting of pencil thru the bill ( looks just like JPT phase #2 ) ,,,immediately show bill unharmed and hand out pencil if you wish,,,,,angles are a slight problem,,,on occasion if i have people behind me i just do it low at mid chest level and a lil close to my body,,,,never had a problem,,,,,,,,,i just love it,,,,,,,,,
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2853 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Let me start by saying that I am a mentalist but still have a strong addiction to visual close up magic. I performed Misled, and loved the effect, for many years before I dedicated myself to mentalism. At that point I put it away.

After seeing the video for JPT, I had to have it despite my committment to not spending time or money on anything but mentalism. I have made a few such transgressions over the last few years. Often, I regret this, not only because I've violated my own committment but because I am dissapointed with the purchase.

I had no such regret with JPT. It is such a pleasure to perform and is so visual that I had no remorse.

After reading this thread, I decided to break out Misled and compare the two. I really don't think there is much of a comparison. JPT is miles ahead of Misled in my opinion.

JPT is much more natural, direct and to the point in the handling. While I don't recall feeling this way when I did Misled many years ago, as I went thru the moves in the last couple of days, the extra steps struck me as illogical. At the time of it's release, Misled was the "state of the art" pencil thru bill, so this didn't seem like such an issue; I was willing to make the compromises and cover them via scripting to produce the awesome effect.

There are no such compromises with JPT. The pencil is cleanly inserted in the bill, shown to be inside until the last moment, then it instantly penetrates. The bill is simply wrapped back around the pencil again, and the pencil penetrates in slow motion in a manner that looks like a state of the art special effect as compared to Misled which, side by side with JPT, looks like a special effect from the 70's.

One final comment about the ripping noise in Misled. Yes, this is a nice. But for a torn and restored bill. Misled, as detailed in the instructions for the slow motion penetration, is supposed to be about how the "bill did not tear," and is "undamaged because the pencil 'melted' through it."

The lack of logic never struck me until I compared Misled and JPT. If the bill isn't torn because the pencil melts thru it, why is there a tearing noise?

JPT doesn't pose as a torn and restored bill effect and then switch track half way thru the presentation. It is a near perfect PENETRATION of a pencil thru a bill.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5000 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have JPT and i let them hold the pen before the effect, I show them the money and than takes the pen back and execute the effect. But yo need to have some control of the spectators attention. If yo do it very casually no one will check the pen out.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I was almost a sure order for Misled but after reading this I am questioning it...One really cool thing about misled is that you can give the pencil away for a trade for the dollar which I've seen some magicians do and the ripping noise makes the effect more believable...but the angle problem bothers me.. AHH I CAN'T CHOOSE!!! Smile
~joeKing
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey joeKing,

the angles aren't that bad. They can only be right in front of you - and that's the ONLY WAY they can see the effect anyway, so just watch yourself!

Don't worry, the angles aren't that bad once you get it down. It takes practice to make it smooth, but once down, you'll love it and have no regrets.

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2853 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Am I the only one bothered by all moves in Misled whose only purpose is to pull off the effect, as compared to JPT where the moves are what you would naturally do to place a pencil within a bill? Mind you, as I said in my first post, these extraneous moves didn't trouble me too much before I learned JPT, but they did have to be "covered" via the script.

This seemed a fair price to pay at the time for the effect, which admittedly is good. It's just that I see the effect of JPT as better and without the extraneous moves. In moving over to mentalism, I have learned that when a significant portion of the script is designed to cover moves, I am treading on dangerous ground.

Also, isn't anyone besides me troubled by the illogic of tearing and restoring, as conveyed by the sound in Misled, which is then explained as being made possible by the pencil "melting" thru the bill? If the pencil is melting, it shouldn't make a ripping sound!

And, again, I never noticed this until I compared the two effects but once having done so, the logic of JPT vs. Misled really stood out to me. Am I over analyzing this point?

As for borrowing a pencil in Misled, come on, how often does that happen in reality? Sure, you can give away the pencil in Misled but I don't see that as outweighing the sheer beauty of JPT.
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
I was about to release my own version of a pencil thru bill effect called The Other side of Green when JPT came out and blew me away. I have since decided not to release my own marketed effect but to allow Russ to include a version of it with my own handling of JPT if he wishes along with future editions of JPT. I really like Misled and that is what inspired me to create The Other Side of Green but I love JPT! It is the best of it's kind and quite possibly the best close up effect I have ever performed. JPT by far!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-08-12 16:01, Bill Cushman wrote:
Am I the only one bothered by all moves in Misled whose only purpose is to pull off the effect, as compared to JPT where the moves are what you would naturally do to place a pencil within a bill?

No, you're not. The handling of JPT is far superior for this very reason.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
If you read the routine "MISPENT" From the lecture notes 20,000 miles wiser by Anthony Owen 1991 there is a far more straight forward handling of what is basicaly the "Just passing through gimmick" it also explains how to make your own using a pen (my preference)
Phillip
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Phillip, I contacted Anthony Owens directly after reading your post. Mr. Owens was aware of Just Passin' Thru and felt that the effects/methods were different enough that he did not express any concerns and was OK with the situation. Mr. Owens methods involved a gimmicked pen and he advised he did not know who the creator of this pen was but it was just his handling using the gimmick that he published. We were VERY careful in crediting as you will see in the back of the instruction booklet and in addition to my research, I contacted Michael Weber, Bob Neale, Paul Harris, etc. to see if I was missing anything. These gentlemen are a few of the most knowledgeable people I know in magic. Although Russ did not know it at the time, the very basic idea is somewhat similar to an idea that was published in the 1960s in Marconick’s Original Magic edited by Peter Warlock. His handling was fairly rudimentary but it did establish the basic idea and he is appropriately credited/acknowledged. Just Passin' Thru is definitely Russ' independent creation and any similarities are coincidental and as noted we have tried to provide all credit as that is important to Russ and myself.

Tim Trono
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Misled or just passin thru?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL