The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My 6 year old son wants to learn magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Good afternoon to all at TMC I hope you are all well from the topic title my 6 year old son as come to me and told me he would like to learn magic witch I think is great I do not have a huge book collection on magic but looking at what I have is the Mark Wilson book and RRTCM but I think this one could be a little to out of his range I'm looking to find out how I should start helping him on his road to magic becuase who knows in 10 years time he could be the next big thing lol
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Mark Wilson's Complete Lessons in Magic is a great book. I wish I would have had in when I just started. It has stuff for the beginner on up. There is also a book that is often spoken about on the Café called The Beginner's Guide to Magic.

Above all, have him practice each routine until he perfects it, THEN move on to the next. Otherwise, he will end up being able to do a lot of tricks poorly, instead of a few effects that will knock their socks off!

You will find plenty of help here, as well.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Thank you very much for your reply and the book recommendation I shall have a look for it now and get it on order. I’m looking at the Mark Wilson's book now short listing a few simple tricks for him to learn my goal for him is to master say 5 simple tricks and then do a small show to me and his mum again thank you very much for the reply.

Regards

Andy
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Teach him a simple trick, probably with cards. Just teach him one. That's the best way to get started; a simple, easy-to-do trick that he can perform in front of people.
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Hello satellite23 thank you for your reply for a simple trick I was thinking a simple key card location from Mark Wilson's book
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
From experience with my grand kids I feel this age is a bit too young.
If you must then I suggest finding some self-working tricks.
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 10:50, Jaz wrote:
From experience with my grand kids I feel this age is a bit too young.
If you must then I suggest finding some self-working tricks.

Thank you for the reply Jaz I see where you are coming from but I think he should be ok with some very basic tricks soley self workers no slights at all
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
How about a paddle trick like jumping gems.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I would recommend the Klutz Book of Magic. It's a fun book that comes with a few props and has some great effects. I perform a few in my shows to this day.

-Daniel
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Andy,

Six is very young to start magic, but here is a reference that might help. It' Over, Under by Joshua Jay written for kids (Under) and their parents (Over). I've not rears the entire book, but a couple excerpts and it seems pretty good. The book is free and can be downloaded at thus link.:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d......er-over/

Good luck!
Hudson
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I would start with Mark's book. There are some things in there simple enough for him to learn and do. Like the basic cups and balls routine. I started at about 5 years old way back in the 50's. My first magic came in the form of some little one page sheets of tricks you could do if you sent in a bunch of Dr. Pepper bottle caps to Time for Magic, which was Mark's first TV show in Dallas. My next set of tricks came from a Mark Wilson TV Magic Kit, cups and balls was one of the first I learned out of that, and the one that I performed later for my Great Uncle Harry (Blackstone, Sr.) which brought on much applause and praise from him (not that I was any good at it, but hey he was family). You might try some little magic kit, there were a lot of things in Mark's that I could do, with a little instructional help from my dad. Mostly because I couldn't read yet and couldn't read the instructions. I only spent like 5 hours on Christmas day trying to find the trap doors in the cups of the cup and balls set before Dad decided to read the instructions to me. He will be happy to be able to do just a couple of tricks. My mainstay in performance was cups and balls and Buddah papers for my first few years in magic.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
At six, it probably needs to be very visual.

The Chinese Sticks is essentially self-working, but to make it effective requires learning some “nuances” as well as timing. This would be something where “magic” could be done immediately, but with plenty of room to grow presentation-wise (that’s where YOU come in!) Smile

I also agree with the good Father, cups and balls is a great start. My first set was red, yellow, and blue plastic “flower pots” from Adams Magic Company, and the routine required no sleights at all beyond learning to turn over the cups smoothly.

Simple effects will allow the child to focus on the acting skills needed to make a “trick” look like Magic!

Good luck and best wishes for a long and happy tutelage!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
twm
View Profile
Regular user
of wine.
109 Posts

Profile of twm
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 23:05, DWRackley wrote:
Simple effects will allow the child to focus on the acting skills needed to make a “trick” look like Magic!

Good luck and best wishes for a long and happy tutelage!

I agree with this. I've got a 6 year old grandson who wants to learn some magic. My approach is to start by effectively doing the magic for him so we concentrate just on presentation. I'm currently working on the egg bag with him, but by the time I pass the bag to him, the egg is in place ready for him to produce it, and the audience is convinced the bag is empty (I've just failed to produce it, so let's see what my apprentice can do). So he is learning to handle, and enjoy, the WOW!
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
How about a magic set like this... http://magic.about.com/od/magicconventio......rset.htm
This set is geared towards 7 year olds and up...I began my interest with a magic set I received for Xmas at the age of 9.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Wow thank you all for taking the time to reply in regards to me teaching my son magic. All this info is of great help to and me, me and his mum are already looking for a small magic set for him. At this time I am going to start teaching him on Saturday starting with a very simple key card location from Mark Wilson's book and then I shall take all the information and advice you have all given me so I can help my son even better at learning magic thank you again guys

Regards

Andy
Stapper
View Profile
New user
the netherlands
91 Posts

Profile of Stapper
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 10:41, satellite23 wrote:
Teach him a simple trick, probably with cards. Just teach him one. That's the best way to get started; a simple, easy-to-do trick that he can perform in front of people.

that's the right way! Teach one trick, and well performed, teach the next, and well performed, ......

The best book for children (and adults!) is the book of Joshua Jay! It is AND a book AND a dvd for $ 15,= !!! AND a good quality !!!
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S10983
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Hi stapper thank you for your reply I have been looking at this book and dvd combo for somtime but was unsure if it would be suitable for him and on a plus side I could learn a few things also
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Kids' brains are like sponges at that age! Read him the Aronson stack as a bedtime story. I'm sure he will thank you in years to come.
(I'm only half-serious with that idea) Smile
As someone who also got into magic at a very young age, I wish I'd had such a devoted father. Very commendable.
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
I highly recommend you take him to a magic shop and ask the counter clerk to show him really simple tricks like the ball vase and coin slide. Although really easy, these tricks get many magicians on their way to a long and rewarding interest in magic. For some of us, careers. The kit listed by DomKabala is great and includes those tricks. I know it's a half day drive (not sure by train) to London but I recall there are a few good shops there, I visited http://www.internationalmagic.com/ the last time I was there. There is something powerful about seeing it and picking it.
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Ill second international magic , I know martin ( he runs the shop ) international magic is the only shop I go to because its so laid back and friendly and I suppose most importantly good prices and variety. Great shop! maybe take him when you want to get him a few little props , like rope sponge balls etc any way I'm not gonna tell you what to teach or buy your son but if you go to a shop international magic should be the one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My 6 year old son wants to learn magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL