The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » favorite paddle move effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I've been pretty effective with some paddle move routines. I've got a nice pair of matching paddles I got from Gary Frank. I've mostly taken some basic tips and made up my own routines. My favorite being one where I use one in each hand and make them change colors.

I've been playing around with applying the principle to other objects (that are less paddle like). One thing in particular is that I've been trying to develop a paddle move using a coin. I've sort of come up with an approach, but I'm not fully satisfied with what I've worked out on my own. It seems to work about half the time (so I need more practice:).
I haven't found any reference to this anywhere. Does anyone else have any tips here?

Jester J
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Mark Young's "Amazing Jumping Arrow" is a great routine. One of the best paddle routines I always thought was Cash Paddle.
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
Has anyone seen the electronic paddle at hank lee it sounds cool but it is not listed so I don't think it would be worth the money if no one has listed it...
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-11-17 19:10, whithaydn wrote:
Mark Young's "Amazing Jumping Arrow" is a great routine. One of the best paddle routines I always thought was Cash Paddle.

I also always liked the concept of the Cash Paddle but I found it difficult to smoothly and convincingly perform the paddle move with it because it's so darn big. The same can be said for a Repro item (I have one but don't recall the name of the effect) that uses a large wooden paddle with three white dots on both sides that turn to black dots one at a time.

Larry D.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The Hypno paddle is a great cash paddle effect. I can't recommend it highly enough. When you mix the paddle move with money, you have a winner every time.
It starts with making "six" pennies, they change to a bill, the paddle goes blank and ends with the reveal of 3 penny sized mirrors for the explanation of how it works. I go the extra step and change the 3 mirrors to pennies and show that I now have the six pennies, made from 3 and a dollar or five or ten to boot. Keeps their attention from beginning to end. As soon as I had a couple routines down, I gave away my number2, hotrods, and traffic paddle. Realy, its that effective.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-11-15 15:11, Pete Biro wrote:
Argh... don't any of you do "I'll Start Again" it is lousy, fools no one and has no entertainment value at all...!!!!! Smile

I dunno, the guys I showed it to seemed to like it! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Jester, there is an early issue of Apocalypse in which four diferent paddle moves with coins are described, mainly from Sol Stone and Ken Krenzel. One of them, Stone's I believe, works out of spellbound position, and is quite convincing. I have used it for coins and similar objects up to about 5" in diameter.

Chuck Smith's lecture notes "What if" contain a very commercial quick interlude using the paddle move with coins and a Chinese coin.

Fantasio, or his daughter, is credited with a popular paddle move with coins, done as the coin is apparently turned over on the table. I believe it's published in the first New York Magic Symposium books.

And for the record, I'll add my vote for the cash paddle. An amazing amount of magic is possible with that one prop, the only problem I've had is the angles when starting out "fully loaded". When you consider adding she**s to the coins (each nickle could be a 21 cent gaff) you've got a ten minute routine.

On the other hand, I never saw Michael Skinner do the cash paddle. He certainly did the jumping gems and the dice, though, and that's reason enough to think of them as one's favorites.

Oh, and I have seen a group of five people all huddled around Allen Okawa as he made the head of a match visibly appear. The collective gasp he got from that tiny trick was very impressive.

So does that answer the question? What was the question? Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
Quote:
On 2003-11-20 15:12, Curtis Kam wrote:
Jester, there is an early issue of Apocalypse in which four diferent paddle moves with coins are described, mainly from Sol Stone and Ken Krenzel. One of them, Stone's I believe, works out of spellbound position, and is quite convincing. I have used it for coins and similar objects up to about 5" in diameter.

Chuck Smith's lecture notes "What if" contain a very commercial quick interlude using the paddle move with coins and a Chinese coin.

Fantasio, or his daughter, is credited with a popular paddle move with coins, done as the coin is apparently turned over on the table. I believe it's published in the first New York Magic Symposium books.

And for the record, I'll add my vote for the cash paddle. An amazing amount of magic is possible with that one prop, the only problem I've had is the angles when starting out "fully loaded". When you consider adding she**s to the coins (each nickle could be a 21 cent gaff) you've got a ten minute routine.

On the other hand, I never saw Michael Skinner do the cash paddle. He certainly did the jumping gems and the dice, though, and that's reason enough to think of them as one's favorites.

Oh, and I have seen a group of five people all huddled around Allen Okawa as he made the head of a match visibly appear. The collective gasp he got from that tiny trick was very impressive.

So does that answer the question? What was the question? Smile

Thanks, Curtis. I'll have to follow up on a couple of these leads. Tracking down the right issue of Apocalypse seems the most promising. I really appreciate the pointer. I've tried to search online but hadn't found the right combination of keywords. Do you know the names of the tricks that Sol Stone or Ken Krenzel offered?

Thanks again,
Jester J

Quote:
On 2003-11-21 11:43, JesterJ wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-11-20 15:12, Curtis Kam wrote:

Thanks, Curtis. I'll have to follow up on a couple of these leads. Tracking down the right issue of Apocalypse seems the most promising. I really appreciate the pointer. I've tried to search online but hadn't found the right combination of keywords. Do you know the names of the tricks that Sol Stone or Ken Krenzel offered?

And a little research shows that this was in Apocalypse volume 4, Number 6: "Flip over view".

I'll track down a copy now.

Thanks again for the tip, Curtis. Smile

Jester J
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
"I'll start again"

[/quote]

I ordered the effect from Tannen's, [/quote]

It doesn't show up on their website ... can anyone recommend a source -- either a dealer or a reference in the literature?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I've seen it recently on Hank Lee's website. I assume they still carry it. Go to hanklee.com. It costs about 12 bucks.

Best,
Bill
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Quote:
On 2003-09-07 18:32, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I am sure Daryl is a great magician but I find him VERY VERY annoying. I can't watch his DVDs etc without coming away feeling angry. Smile

Haha, just very very curious as to why you get really angry when watching Daryl.

Simon
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2003-11-07 09:14, mandrake01 wrote:
Am I the only one who does "I'll Start Again"? I haven't seen anybody mention it here on this thread!

Smile

No, I'm using it too these days. Or at least, the uncredited version "Let's Start Over" from Ickle Pickle which uses a valeda covered paddle and a dry wipe marker.

I always hated paddle tricks, but remember my late friend Walt Maddison used to get tremendous reaction from Jimmy Rodgers' "I'll Start Again", the rights to which are held by Repro Magic in the UK.

It's a good, fun ice breaker. Kennedy's Dream Paddle is also a good effect, not as funny but a real baffler.

I have recently got "Shattered" which I think is very well thought out, and different. This is perhaps the best paddle trick since the Kennedy effect. Not had time to learn it yet, but I will.

Paul.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The magic warehouse should have them for 8-9 bucks. I didn't put two and two together, right away but when I saw the picture I realized it was the whiteboard style paddle. Probably worth a try. I think any effect under $10 is worth a shot. It already has high marks from the folks here.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
Oh it's embarasing to say- but I still have, sitting in the bottom of my day back a little piece of plastic with six shiny colors on one side.

There's a whole shtick about my nephew having left it behind, and being only four forgeting what his favorite color is.

It's almost a shame that I have pleased so many with such a cheap piece of hardware.
now let me go re-read those dice in classic secrets b/c in desription I didn't see anything worth trying out in the mirror.
drink water...
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Thanks, Bill!

Also:

While looking around on the internet I came across a Bizarre paddle routine: "The Vampire", by Peter Marucci. The paddle is shaped like a stake, as in ...
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Two of my favorite tricks with the paddle move:

Spot Remover, by David Regal, out of Close-Up and Personal
And the before mentioned, Shattered.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I also used to like the "stop light" effect where the green ruby would move up and down in between the red rubies.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Highpockets
View Profile
New user
Dearborn, MI
55 Posts

Profile of Highpockets
Another vote for Dr. Sack's Dice Routine. I liked it so much, I just ordered Ivory Connection, which, I understand, is an updated version.
age is a steep price to pay for maturity

www.yourhealthadvantage.com/
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Highpockets, check out Bob Sheet's "It's the Rules" which is a great variation of the Sack's routine.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Great thread, guys!

Whit Haydn is the only person to respond to, "Amazing Jumping Arrow". Maybe you guys are not familiar with it:

A black-anodized aluminum bar is shown, and an arrow appears at one end, engraved into the metal, then another appears on the other side. The arrow suddenly moves to the middle (both sides), then, all the way to the other end (still pointing the same direction!)

Then you "slide" the arrow on the other side back up to the middle, and the arrows take on a life of their own, jumping from end to middle and back, not cooperating, then, just as you "lock" them back to the middle position, you split one into TWO, and hand it out for examination.You want to talk about a reputation builder.

I mean, man, I practice Zone Zero, I.T. effects, Astrosphere, Cups and Balls, and other great classics, and try to hone my skills to perfection (never will do that! Smile ) and all people talk about is the "little arrow."

Whit and I agree once again. This one's a sure-fire winner!

I DO like Kennedy's Dream Paddle as well. But the "Arrow" is all people ever mention any more. Brings to mind the old song by Nilsson, "Me & My Arrow"... Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » favorite paddle move effect (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL