The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You may not agree with the examples picked, but an interesting summary of how the mind confirms its biases:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/......s-mooney
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Asking "why is the sky blue" is very different than asking "what is it that makes the sky look blue".
Science is not the best place to look for "how to feel about" stuff.
It's great for things where you want to know "how much" or "where" or "how far" or "how long till" or "how likely is" but offers nothing to appease our need for consolation/confirmation/explanation.

Mostly a language problem IMHO.

IMHO we have two eyes, and similarly two perspectives on the world of experience.
I imagine it like wearing 3d glasses. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Other senses too, with their own news.
What will make it to the Nightly News Broadcast?
And what channel are we watching?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hmmm I'd go with the humors as a better model and add one for cool logical processing. Or put what we call rationality as an island floating on an ocean of sentiment.

Taking some control over our inner worlds, say by tricks or NLP or whatever - useful though also IMHO limited. Like trying to paint a realistic picture using only one color and then trying to pretend that's identical to the thing being pictured - even more limited. Not sure we can know, be and do all at the same time.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL