The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impossible Escofey show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
caycemindreader
View Profile
Regular user
UK
107 Posts

Profile of caycemindreader
Have any other UK guys seen the ad on chennel Five for this Impossible show? Googling it turns up some stuff saying it is a gameshow with Philip Escofey who is a mindreader of some kind but not much more information than that? Is it something that has been on before?
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
It seems to be a game show; and I doubt it will be very good. Nothing on channel 5 is except House.
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Escofey did 'Six impossible things before dinner' at The Fringe 3 years ago. I haven't heard of him since but I'm sure he'll have been busy. I liked his show and his style, and chatting to him afterwards over a few drinks he seemed a very nice chap.I wish him all the best with this.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Im sure more will be revealed in due course. To confirm, yes Philip does have a "Mentalism" themed game show coming up soon. I know its been in production a little while and who has been consulting for the show, that's about it tbh...
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Apparantly Peter Nardi is an advisor on this show Smile
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I actually like the trailer clips they look fresh. I think the usual format for mentalism is going a bit stale. At least for me if no one else. I think he looks good in that role and hope it works out for him.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Escofey is that man! 'Six impossible things before dinner' was a fantastic show that I had the pleasure to see while on that side of the world. I'm sure this new show will have his unique twist and be well worth watching
Mr. Gray
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Mr. Gray
He had a good show at the Fringe last year as well. If I could I would give his show a chance.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi guys, I'm really excited about this show, so I will try and reign in my enthusiasm and just give a bit more information: Philip Escoffey hosts a completely new format, in which he pits his wits against a different couple each week in a series of mind-bending challenges for escalating sums of money.

Essentially for each round he presents an effect, gets to the moment before the revelation and invites the couple to gamble the prize for that round on whether what he is proposing is either possible or impossible. If they call it right, they stand to win up to £40k. At the conclusion of the show there is an endgame where they get the chance to actually win the money they have accumulated over the course of the show. It all sounds a bit weird, you have to see it in action for it to fully click.

Peter Nardi, Philip Escoffey and I spent a big chunk of last year creating a complete suite of 30 challenges for the show, developing presentations, premise, methods and scripts for each of them, then we filmed last November (I think) pretty much underneath London bridge, with Debbie Young producing and Stefan Stuckert directing, both of whom have worked extensively with Derren previously.

It airs on the 12th May (a week tomorrow) on channel 5 at 10pm. If you are in the UK, all I can say is please give it a chance and watch it because apparently now we have finished the series all that matters are the numbers!

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Just a brief note to mention that this show is actually on tonight (Channel 5, 10pm) so if you are so inclined you might find time in your busy schedule to watch it?
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Thanks Phill

I can't wait, it's certainly on my agenda.

Franklin
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Got it ready to record. A while back I was offered a series with the BBC - a game show based on mentalism effects. If I could work out what was in their mind, they lost. If I failed to determine what they were thinking, they won. It didn't take long to work out that - using the techniques I use - I would always know what they were thinking, and thus would be, in effect, deciding whether they won or lost. That way lies a huge heap of trouble with the Broadcasting Authority Rules... I bugged out. It will be interesting to see how this programme gets round that problem (though I think the clue is in some of the postings above).

Philip is one of the nicest blokes you could meet. A great performer and remarkably knowledgeable.

You can see part of what we filmed at BBC TV Centre here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ty4_UE3w
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
I really enjoyed this show. Congrats to all those involved.
Best thing I've seen on C5 Smile
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Wish I could see this; I have heard good things about Mr. Escoffey.

If the best thing on your Channel 5 is House, then that bar isn't set too high.

Best of luck to Mr. Escoffey!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
MattTarrant
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of MattTarrant
He not only does Six Impossible Things Before Dinner, but also Six More Impossible Things before Dinner. Both are fantastic shows, and Philip is a incredibly nice, intellegent and clever Mentalist.

Had the pleasure of seeing his show this year a few times at the Adelaide Fringe and he was more than happy to hang back and have a chat after the show.

All the best mate.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I hope some kind English man will put it the vieo somewhere on youtube or vimeo Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Quote:
On 2011-04-26 12:07, Thomas Cooper wrote:
It seems to be a game show; and I doubt it will be very good. Nothing on channel 5 is except House.

Another sweeping generalisation. Just interested to know what your opinion was on it post airing?

I thought it was great (although I missed the start) Good to see some Ian Rowland stuff getting an airing too (if I'm not mistaken)
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I found it to be a good show, but it wasn't brilliant. I think the main thing that makes me think that, is that the assistant with the envelope always does the reveal, which made me think it's just a gaffed envelope. It would have been more believable if the spectator done the reveal. Maybe I am over thinking, but I know there are members of the public who know about such envelopes.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-05-13 16:27, mindguru wrote:
I found it to be a good show, but it wasn't brilliant. I think the main thing that makes me think that, is that the assistant with the envelope always does the reveal, which made me think it's just a gaffed envelope. It would have been more believable if the spectator done the reveal. Maybe I am over thinking, but I know there are members of the public who know about such envelopes.

Michael Jackson?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I loved it! Very much looking forward to the rest of the series. I know that the show will eat up effects, making things more difficult as it progresses, but it's certainly off to a flier. They got round the "mindreading in a game show" problem (ie. if you know what they are thinking then you effectively drcide who is going to win) wonderfully. Very clever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impossible Escofey show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL