The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Scare the hell out of you ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Wanting to know some of your favorite "Scare The Hell Out Of You" impromptu(sorta) effects !
I know presentation script/patter is a large part of this ! I recently ordered "Frank's Ghost" and have not received yet,still at printers! It does sound good !
If you would care to share...I am interested !

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I am thinking some will say Jim Pace's "The Web".
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1519 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
See that's a tough question for me at least since I do a lot of spook stuff. For general audiences its Frank's Ghost. Now for the specialty crowd it would have to be "The Saint". (A very real religious relic that moves.) This thing is so scary they do not know if they should run or start praying. The Saint is not a marketed item for obvious reasons.

Also spirit bells seem to scare people.
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
I think just about anything that moves suddenly is good for a "startle" type of scare, and with the right set up
down right terrifying. Spirit bells, do the job nicely.
A really impromptu scare is the one exposed on Richard Wiseman's website.
Touch your fingertips to your victims eyelids. Then they experience the supernatural first hand. Sorry, bad pun. I even had a nice story to go with this one about how the fear of the dark came to be. Suggestion can be a powerful thing as well.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I think this brings up an interesting question: is there a difference between "startle" and "scare?"

I would contend there is.

Startles like The Web or anything than moves suddenly come and go quickly.
Scares that make people think and wonder stay with people.

E.A. Poe is like a startle: "Eew, that's shocking. The heart is under the floorboards."
H.P. Lovecraft is like a scare: "Okay, put on the coffee. I'm NOT going to sleep after reading THAT story!"

Both have value to a bizarre performer. Too many startles, however, tend to numb.

It's the "one knock" phenomenon.
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
I agree dmkraig yes there is absolutely a huge difference between being scared, and being startled.
One is an oppressive feeling of dread, the other is a reaction to sudden noise or movement.
Imagine someone jumps out of a closet and screams "Your kids are in danger! booga booga!"
The reaction might begin with being startled, and then the fear creeps in. I think being scared, is being afraid.
I guess sometimes the two might overlap, perhaps the reason you're startled, is because you are afraid of being harmed.

To quote Max Maven:
"Lon Chaney, first of all, differentiated between terror and horror.
Horror is blood and guts and people jumping out of cabinets,
being pushed down the stairs, and all kinds of unexpected brutal things.
Terror is a different emotional response.
The best description of terror that Chaney was able to give...
the best example of something that provokes that response...
is the following: You go to the circus one afternoon and see a fine show.
There is this clown with all the bright makeup...
and a big smile painted on his face...and a funny costume and big shoes. He's dancing around he does pratfalls and has silly props... and it's all wonderful and charming. Then you go home and you go upstairs, and you take off your clothes and you go to bed. At midnight, there's a scratching or tapping on the kitchen door. you open the door... and there, standing in the light of the moon, is the clown at midnight!"

I think this is relevant to the topic, because when choosing how to "scare" someone I think allot of us might prefer a little less startle and more of a creeping fear. Or like me, to punctuate those inky black tendrils of dread, with something to make them scream.
Its been my experience that once someone gets over the initial shock of being startled they just might laugh... Not that laughter is always a bad thing.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Good points gents ! I am looking for SCARE ... the things you are thinking about long after the effect and into the night !
Not something to cause harm... maybe lose a little sleep over ! lol
Kind of looking towards the impromptu with lasting value!
Again, allot has to do with presentation !

-G
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
Superstitions are a good start I believe to get someone thinking later after your paths have gone their separate ways.
Most people don't "really" believe in bad luck, or other such things...

But sometimes when the mood is right, and with the right presentation,
even the bravest folks might have trouble breaking a mirror concealed in a black cloth bag.
To what end is up to you I suppose, perhaps the mirror is restored at the end? Of course,
perhaps something just as simple as leaving it broken at the end of your tale could be most effective.

Maybe some Cuss cards? Dare I say maybe a bad reading? Do we even need an effect to scare someone?
Although, it should be noted, some of these things might be unethical,
especially if we truly worry someone while in the safety of their own bed.
And don't such things come back seven fold? Knowing this, how do you sleep with yourself at night? *grins*
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 01:02, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
See that's a tough question for me at least since I do a lot of spook stuff. For general audiences its Frank's Ghost. Now for the specialty crowd it would have to be "The Saint". (A very real religious relic that moves.) This thing is so scary they do not know if they should run or start praying. The Saint is not a marketed item for obvious reasons.

Also spirit bells seem to scare people.

Dangit!!! How can one get their claws on "The Saint?" Smile
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 13:57, Stoltz wrote:
if we truly worry someone while in the safety of their own bed.
And don't such things come back seven fold? Knowing this, how do you sleep with yourself at night? *grins*

I like the things that keep me awake at night and go Bump in my bed ! (:
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 13:57, Stoltz wrote:
if we truly worry someone while in the safety of their own bed.

I like the things that keep me awake at night and go Bump in my bed ! (:
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
You've done it Godzilla, that image has replaced the whale in my nightmares!
Where did dmkraig put that coffee, I wont be sleeping anymore.
I feel you should be warned though, I doubt this could be considered impromptu,
considering you would need to hire a stooge. Lets just hope you do hire someone,
and don't try and involve friends or family in this fiasco.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Eating a Burger King is a horror.
Waking to find that plastic-faced Burger King character in bed with you is terror!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well done mentalism / mental magic can freak the hell out of people.

But here is a nice thing I modified from Shane's pentalogy - I'm not even sure what he called it... kind of similar to "creature" but darker...

but you do some effect and they ask how you did it... in creature, you have the little imp appear... but in Shane's, your "helper" is some shoggoth-like being in a match-box that opens on its own... you say the thing keeps whispering its thoughts in your thoughts... night after night after night... it just read the spec's thoughts and told you... it will now perhaps send its thoughts to that spec as well... jjjjooiinnn usssssss....

Sounds ridiculous but if you play it straight ala Eldritch Horror with a good backstory.... nightmares my friends.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I do a variant of PK Touches (using only one woman from the audience) that some spectators find disturbing. One woman first denied that she had felt the touch even though I knew she did. Finally, she did admit that she felt it, but found it too disturbing to admit. This is done in conjunction with my seance.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
718 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
I use both tactics in my seances\paranormal experience shows. I have something very creepy happen with a "Ghost Box" (two way communication with spirits using radio frequencies) and then as the communication is lost, there is a crash\noise in teh back of the room that startles everyone. Very effective.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
This was started out as closer to impromptu,but has become much more interesting! Less change it to "Scare the hell out of you"... Favorite effect overall !
Damon Reinbold
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Damon Reinbold
Did the same thing in "The Haunting" which played for a few years in Hot Springs, AR. In the first part of the sceance a rocking chair Marie Laveau supposedly sat in rocked slowly without me seeing it and then later just before going dark a bell jumped off a shelf unexpectedly. Good for gasps and shouts every night!

regards,
Damon
Damon Reinbold
<BR>2011 President, S.A.M. Assembly 71
<BR>2011 President, IBM Ring 90
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
Really? He only has......
763 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
Fear is such a subjective thing.....I think it really boils down to the people that you are performing for. What makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end might make you yawn.....and what makes you stay awake at night might make me giggle.
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
There was a post on Café and I can not find whom, to give credit to ! " I only shake when I am being Brave"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Scare the hell out of you ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL