The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My dealings with the police Tuesday evening. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 23:55, Chance wrote:
The old "I have nothing to hide" canard rears it's ugly head once again. It's not about whether or not the citizen has anything to hide. It's about whether the citizen feels they have anything to protect.

I agree with you with respect to searches without probable cause, but I think the photo lineup thing is reasonable (and potentially time-saving).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 00:05, Destiny wrote:
I read about a parrot that had a vocabulary of 800 words yet the ones I come across just repeat and repeat and repeat.

I've only got a 300-word vocabulary, so the parrot has me beat. I'm just lucky I guess that around here I never have to use more than 200.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
I read about a parrot that had a vocabulary of 800 words yet the ones I come across just repeat and repeat and repeat.

Yeah, I know a bunch who keep repeating things like "I've got nothing to hide."
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 00:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 23:55, Chance wrote:
The old "I have nothing to hide" canard rears it's ugly head once again. It's not about whether or not the citizen has anything to hide. It's about whether the citizen feels they have anything to protect.

I agree with you with respect to searches without probable cause, but I think the photo lineup thing is reasonable (and potentially time-saving).

The poster is in Vegas. I'm in Vegas. In just the 7 months I've been, there've been 3 times when I had to interact with the police due to my being a street performer. I didn't have to produce my identification for any of them. Not bad for being the resident combative uncooperative "just asking for it" cop hater. Maybe the OP could use a tip or two from me.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Bit tautological ain't it cobber?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
You will find no single public service job worldwide that will more quickly and more solidly demonstrate a complete and total betrayal of whatever trust you might have initially instilled in them than you will with cops.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 00:38, Artie Fufkin wrote:
You will find no single public service job worldwide that will more quickly and more solidly demonstrate a complete and total betrayal of whatever trust you might have initially instilled in them than you will with cops.

I don't know about world wide but here in Australia these days, cops are brilliant - and I live in a state where, until just over 20 years ago, the crime was basically organised and controlled by the government and the police - ministers of Cabinet and senior police, including the Commissioner, went to jail. Even then, there were still decent cops.

I, along with many others, was subject to illegal and harassing searches, discrimination, belittlement, and, on and on. It took me a long time to trust the police again, but eventually I had to recognise, times had changed, and so had they. I am always polite and cheerful in my dealings with them, and they reciprocate. Not only do I feel I have nothing to hide - I also believe I have nothing to fear.

It is the job of the citizenry, us, as the employers of the police, to ensure they remain honest and faithful to their duty. I actually doubt corruption as it occurred here in Queensland, could again become entrenched with modern communications, social media etc.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide. There now Glen has something to complain about. He didn't before with his post complaining about my saying it only once.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 04:28, RS1963 wrote:
I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide I have nothing to hide. There now Glen has something to complain about. He didn't before with his post complaining about my saying it only once.

:rolleyes:
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Just to switch it up:
Himmler!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Aw, you had to go and do that, dincha? Now I have no choice. I'll see your Himmler and raise you Goering.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Dirty pool...
Mussolini!
~Will Rogers
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
What if I raise you by two Mussolini's and an Idi Amin Dada?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Mussolini is the new Hitler.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Can I toss a Tojo in there?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
FEAR does not EXIST in this TOJO, does it?!

NO, Sensei!

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 12:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
FEAR does not EXIST in this TOJO, does it?!

NO, Sensei!

***, I wish I'd have said that Smile
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Are we done Mao?
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Third base!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My dealings with the police Tuesday evening. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL