The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » New puppet I am building - with progress pics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Beautiful work. Loads of talent in this forum!
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Great job and you certainly have some sculpting skills. He will ba a fine figure!!
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey All!
Here is Day 4 of the progress.. I have made several changes to his brow and mouth.. Hopefully enough to make his appearance a little less Toy story-ish.
Thanks again for the feedback; keep it coming!
For those who have not done any puppet building; it is a crazy amount of work to go from start to finish with building a puppet.
Also - I am planning on incorporating several animatronic components into this particular puppet; which should be fun!
I hope to do much more work on him this week - stay tuned!
Damien

Click here to view attached image.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey Everyone!
Here is a different (front) view of the old man puppet sculpt...
As you can see - I am keeping his wrinkles and features quite caricatured and pronounced.. so it reads better from stage. He is quite a long ways away from finished though.
Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!
Damien

James "Jimmy" Eisenberg
View Profile
New user
New York City
22 Posts

Profile of James
Damien:

Like I said before, great sculpting.
Are you making a mold and if so what will you be casting him in?

He loaded with character.

Jimmy
James "Jimmy" Eisenberg
www.ventriloquistsideshow.com
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
He's looking better everyday. great job! Is there a chance to see yr other characters that you mentioned are retiring?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Howdy!
Thanks again for the positive comments everyone!
Jimmy - this character will be molded and then the skin will be cast with either silicone and/or foam latex. There will be a plastic under skull that the animatronics will be built into.
Stay tuned! I will be updating the whole process until he is done!
Maps - I am getting a website together that will show my portfolio. Much of my work is related to film and television special effects make-up/creatures. I love my work but I have done projects for films and TV so much that I have neglected my own projects.. which is why I am trying to work on this old man a little bit everyday (between Effects work).
Thanks and hopefully I will have something more to show soon!
Damien
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Damien:

Just beautiful work. How you get so much character out of clay is amazing to me.

B
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
He's looking MAR-VE-LOUS!!!!
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
ljlvent
View Profile
New user
iowa
95 Posts

Profile of ljlvent
WOW!! I can't imagine all the time you are spending on him!! I am sure his character is developing right before your eyes as he continues to develop!!
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey Everybody! Thanks again for all of your kind words and encouragement!
Here is day 5 progress. I am starting to further flesh out his brow and forehead.. It is still very rough - and he will probably be changed several times yet.
ljlvent - inregards to seeing his character develop; it can be cool to see where the design goes.. It really looks nothing like it did at day 2.. which I liked, but he was too similar to Geri, the cleaner from Toy Story - which was thankfully brought to my attention by Bob Baker - thanks again Bob Smile
When you work from a picture or have a design in mind; it is easier to sculpt from that; but I am sculpting as I go - without a blue print.. The only thing that I know for sure is that he is going to be an old man character - but there is lots of interpretation within that.. So until he is done, I really have no idea what he will look like.
I will definitely keep posting progress.
I have not had a lot of time to put into this character, but I am doing as much as I can around my job.
I will be making his eyes in the next few days - stay tuned!
Damien

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
It's so much fun watching this project develop!
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Howdy!
Here is day 6 of the progress of my old man puppet..
I have decided on the character of my puppet.. He will be a hobo-type; but no shotgun Smile
I plan on doing a very different type of routine with this character.. Something that I have never seen done before in a vent show.. I can't wait to finish him so that I can start working on his routine. Stay tuned!
Damien
P.S. - I really appreciate this forum - it is great to have this community and I am learning so much!

rcav8r
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rcav8r
Are you expecting any problems molding him with those deep sharp wrinkles?
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hi There!
Here is Day 7 of the progress.. I focused mainly on adding to the form of his lower lip and chin today.
I will hopefully be able to devote several hours tomorrow to the sculpt!
In regards to molding him - the deep wrinkles should not pose a problem. I will be molding him out of a very strong material and he will be a 4 piece mold (including the core) so undercuts will not be an issue.
Thanks for the question!
Hopefully I will have more to show tomorrow!
Damien

olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Damien,

He's looking really good! You have quite a character there.

Oliver
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Hi Damien,It's looking better everyday! What kind of clay did you use for him?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Thanks for the continued kind words!
Here is day 8..
I am starting to add a bit of skin texture to him now.. So far - it has been very smooth basic forms; now it has to start looking like skin.
Each pore and wrinkle is added one at a time.. It can be pretty time consuming. He is still far from finished.. but it will be very subtle changes (just minute detail).
To avoid boring anyone, I will put up my next update when the sculpting is complete..
Otherwise it will be like - "Hey, look - there's another bunch of pores on his chin!!"
Maps - The clay that I am using is Chavant (medium - NSP).
Thanks again for the encouragement! You folks are the best! I am always up for criticism too; so if you have any pointers or ideas - send them on down!
Damien

rcav8r
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rcav8r
What are you using for adding the texture?
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hi rcav8r!
I am using basic homemade sculpting tools for the wrinkles and directional pores and a bought Ball Stylus (pic link below) for the round pore texture:

http://pj.b5z.net/i/u/2047940/i/Double_Ball_Stylus.jpg

Some Artists use texture stamps that push texture into the clay, but I prefer to sculpt all of the texture into my sculpts.. It takes longer, but I have more control over the direction of the pores and wrinkles.
Damien
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » New puppet I am building - with progress pics (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL