The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » New puppet I am building - with progress pics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
That's a lot of hardwork that only a person who is very passionate about his craft will undertake or he is just plain crazy and doesn't have a life.
I choose to think he's crazy about his passion for making masterpieces.
I know someone will eventually ask you this:
What kind of animations are you planning for him?
So I'll ask it on their behalf
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Howdy all!
Thanks again for the continued compliments and encouragement! It means a lot!
In regards to being crazy and not having a life - GUILTY AS CHARGED Smile
I only wish that with work and whatnot; I had more time to not have a life.. Oh well.
In regards to the animations that will be added to this character.. I am kind of still working on that. I plan on doing something with this character that I have never heard of or seen in any other vent act.. I don't want to tip my hat yet - but stay tuned.. I think it will be pretty cool.
I will say that there will be some animatronic features incorporated into the finished puppet. But yes - please do stay tuned!
Damien
Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
He's looking great so far! I'm interested in seeing how the final product turns out.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Just a little update.. continuation of texturing..
I also started on the eyes today.. will hopefully finish them Friday!
I have made the commitment to myself that I will be finished this sculpt on Day 12.. so 2 more days of work.
The thing about doing a sculpt is that a person could be working on it for years.. but I am just too eager to see this guy finished Smile
Later!
Damien

Click here to view attached image.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
He is looking fabulous! We are all as excited as you to see this guy finished!
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Very, very nice!
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey Folks!
Today I worked on the eyes for my puppet. They are all hand painted and veined; made out of acrylic.
I 'THINK' I am pretty much done the sculpt. I am going to show some of my co-workers and see if they have any ideas.. but otherwise; I will be starting the molding process next week!! YAY!
Oh yeah, if you guys have any pointers about how you think he could be improved - be brutal! Seriously.
Otherwise - Stay tuned.. and check out my old man's eyes!
P.S. - please excuse all of the grainy low-res pictures.. I am taking them with my phone Smile

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Wow. This is gonna be one great-looking puppet. I can hardly wait!

-Philip
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
579 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Will you be documenting and reporting on the mold-making and casting as well? I've enjoyed watching your work progress.

Oliver
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey!
Oliver - Yes, I will be updating the entire process of building the puppet... including the molding and casting.
The whole thing still has a long way to go.. I can't wait to finish it though!
Damien
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Fabulous sculpture.

Question - is he going to be a rubber puppet (like Axtell)? If so, sculpting his mouth open like that is the way to go. Just make sure in his neck you have room for your wrist/hand/etc.

If he is going to be a hard figure might I make a few recommendations:

You need to sculpt his mouth in a closed position. Lips touching together, or touching perhaps some big teeth that you plan on adding later?

Also, you would need to look at re-designing his jaw a little bit. Specifically the "sides" where the slots of the jaw (where it will open) and underneath the chin to ensure you have a proper "arc" so the mouth will open smoothly and there will be no noticeable gaps, etc. This is something to always keep in mind when designing a hard figure. Tim Selberg is a "master" of incorporating this into his designs. I recommend you look at pics of his figures, specifically the lower jaw portion (the part the opens/moves) and look at the "arc" on the sides of the mouths and underneath the chin, and how it meets the at the lowest point against the neck, etc.

You should have no problem maintaining all of the detail in your design. Just purchase the highest quality rubber that you can when you are ready to make the mold. The better quality of rubber that you purchase, the better quality of the mold. If you contact Mike Brose, he is very generous with his knowledge and I'm sure wouldn't mind sharing with you the best stuff on the market currently, because Mike is one of the (if not THE best) best mold makers out there when it comes to this stuff.

Keep up the great work.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hi there!
Matt - I would like to experiment more with hard figures eventually.. Several projects down the road to be sure. Thanks for the info. I make molds almost every other day in my 'real job', but I am always interested in learning other peoples techniques. TO answer your questions - This puppet is probably going to be made out of silicone (or foam latex - or both; still trying to decide).
It is going to be a flexible hand puppet (with some animatronic components). I have alloted for my wrist and hand.. SIlicone is very stretchy, flexible and soft - so the puppet will actually 'hug' my wrist..
Before molding the final sculpt for making the actual puppet, I decided to make a master mold of the sculpt..
This is not the actual mold for the puppet - it is just a back up silicone mold so that I can have it 'on file'. You can see the first layer of silicone on the sculpt in the picture attached below.. Doing this master mold will take a few days, but it will be nice to have.
Later!!
Damien

manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Looks like something from the old movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Smile
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey!
Yeah, it does look a little bit like something from body snatchers - haha.
Now it looks like if you mixed the body snatchers with 'Pinhead'.
I have attached some silicone buttons to the silicone from yesterday so that it will key into the plaster Jacket that I will be putting on it.
The next few steps are going to continuing on with the molding process.
One step closer to finished! (still quite a ways away though).
Stay tuned.
Damien

damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Here is the silicone master mold of the sculpt.. Next, I will be doing the actual mold for the puppet skin!
Stay tuned!
Damien

damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Well - it has a been a few days since my last post.. I have been working for the past several days on the actual mold for the puppets skin.
What you see in the attached link is what is referred to as the negative mold. The next step is to create the positive that the animatronics and jaw movements will be built onto.
As always - stay tuned!
Damien

damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey All!
It's been a while since my last post.. I just pulled out a test skin made out of silicone. That is the picture attached..
It will need to be cleaned up a bit (have the mold seam line removed and patched, a couple of air bubbles filled) before it can be painted, haired and finished.
I will be using this skin as the test for doing the R&D for doing the animatronics. Once all of the bugs are ironed out, I will be doing the final skins. I'm really looking forward to moving ahead with this character!
Stay tuned!
Damien

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Lookin' good, Damien!

-Philip
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
First Foam Latex pull - EPIC FAIL!!
Hi folks!
I decided to try doing a foam latex skin of the hobo character.. The silicone skin from my last post was pretty heavy - especially once all of the animatronic components will be put in. Foam latex usually degrades very quickly, much faster than regular latex - but I will make sure to add some UV inhibitors to help extend it's life.
Foam latex is a fickle animal.. especially in a new mold. I will be trying a few more attempts next week to get a good foam latex skin (keep your collective fingers crossed for it to turn out)
I thought I would show the foam anyway - just so you will be able to see the bad with the good!
I guess if I want to make a zombie version of the old guy - I could use this one!
Anywhoo, I will keep you all posted!
LAter,
Damien

Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I could see this version being put to interesting use.. even with the setback, this is amazing work.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » New puppet I am building - with progress pics (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL