We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Very Best Of Jay Sankey VS Bill Malone's On The Loose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
OK i'm torn....which is your favorite and why....Anything helps...THANKS! Smile
~joeKing
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Both are very well done. It all depends on for what you are looking. Malone's contains slightly more technical material, but not beyond the reach of anyone by any means. You get more effects on the sankey material, but I don't like performing them as much as Malone's. The audience's react to the material on both of these equally and, in some cases, the reaction are better on Sankey's effects.

With on the loose, you also get some tips on performing which is also nice.

It looks like you are looking for some good strong card magic. Since you said anything helps, I would recommend John Bannon's Smoke and Mirrors. The effects in this book are every bit as good and better as the ones on the videos you inquiring about. You will get more for you money if you choose the Bannon route.

Trevor
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I have the Best of Sankey and in my opinion it is all great. I sometimes find Jays humour to be a little over the top, but that's his style so it works. As far as the material itself goes, there are alot of card items. His work on the Erdnase/Houdini change is extensive and you see it alot in his effects. The non card items are all good as well. My favorite is the effect where a borrowed ring is caused to penetrate a spoon, then disappears only to be find inside a matchbox that is inside a card box that has been in view the entire time.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Bill Malone is much better BUT The Very Best of Jay Sankey is good too. I certainly got a lot more out of On the Loose though.
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
I strongly recommend both - if you don't have the money, you will get more out of TVBO. It is 80 bucks and it has a ton of info in there - Bill Malone provides you with lots of tips for performing and business that are great, in addition to the effects taught in the DVDs.
The effects Bill Malone teaches are mainly improvements or alternate versions over already existing effects- he's a performer, not an inventor, while Sankey's effects are mainly original, because he CREATES magic effects.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hmm. I have to go with Bill Malone on this one. His material just works better for me. I know there would be a handful of magicians that would say Sankey's stuff is better for them.

I just love the tricks Bill teaches along with his unique and VERY funny patters and routines. Also, I could sit there and watch then performances all day long.

Just my 2 cents,

Evan
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
All your posts helped a lot...but I'm not an "EXPERIENCED" magician...I've been doing magic for only 3 months. I have tried to read Royal Road To Card Magic but explanations from a book can't help me I need to see video....I do know some basic forces and slieghts, with that in mind is it a good idea i spend 90+ bucks on one of the sets or are they both "out of my league"? THANKS AGAIN
~joeKing
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Well, Ammar's ETMCM would be great for you.

Also, I would say don't go out and buy the whole set if you don't think it might "not be in your league" yet, just buy volume one and see if it's your style or not.

Regards,

Evan
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
463 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Both are great, but it depends on the type of magic you like to (or are paid to)perform. I find Sankey's stuff to be more practical in walk around situations. Much of Malone's work requires the use of a surface.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Get one DVD from each series and maybe one of Ammar's DVD's from his ETMCM. That will cost about $90 I would think. That way you can get a feel for each of the magicians styles and abilities.
Drive Carefully
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Good idea LeConte. That way what ever one he like the most, then he can look into the whole series.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
thanks guyz ive decided to spend 60 bucks and get the first volumes of both sets...if your interested ill tell you which i prefer on this topic...
THANKS AGAIN! Smile
~joeKing
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Good choice. You can't go wrong with seeing small samples of some of the best DVDs arounds.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1608 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I do not know why... for some time, I thought that Jay Sankey is my favorite close up magician, because of his skills and card effect.

However, when compare with Bill Malone, Sankey's effect seems more difficult and become not my cup of tea.

Maybe after several months my skill will improve and can follow Jay's tutorial.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
The thing I like about Jay Sankey's DVDS are that his effects are extremely creative and entertaining to watch, while Bill Malone basically just shows his variation on already existing tricks, and adds a bit of flair and humor to them. Jay's effects are mostly new and original, and I like his refreshing ideas and concepts.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
The very best of sankey has more tricks to learn, but the Malone series is more entertaining and fun. It's totally up to the person.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I like Malone's humor and style better, but this is personal preference. Sankey's humor just doesn't mesh with what I think is funny and his style is more abrasive than what I enjoy. It's total personal preference though.

Both are excellent teachers, which is one of the most important aspects of magic DVDs.

I would advise purchasing Bill Malone's series (or Michael Ammar's series)
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
which do think is better when someone asks HEY DO SOME MAGIC....meaning less setup and gimmicks... Smile
~joeKing
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Very Best Of Jay Sankey VS Bill Malone's On The Loose (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL