We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My promotional video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU-1tA3Lh......a_player

Hey everyone, I am just now starting into professional work and this is my promotional video of me performing around my school doing both magic and hypnosis. Please give me your thoughts and opinions!

Jake
taklyt
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
42 Posts

Profile of taklyt
I don't know nothing about hypnotism, so I can't really judge your performance, but I know for sure that the revolving of the image in the beginning makes the action difficult to read.
It also a pity that the sequences of coin magic were shot so far from you, I couldn't really see what is was you were doing...
I enjoyed the short part where you do card flourishes, though.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thank you, I want to get a better cameraman next time that will work with a closer shot next time I make one and hopefully get sound too.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
The one thing I have to ask you before making any comments....

What is your purpose for the demo?
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Just to give a teaser to some people in my community as to what I do and to promote myself (which I admit I didn't do a great job of doing here). I plan on shooting a much better video soon with some of my more tech savy friends so we can put together something that has patter and not just Jimi Hendrix the whole time Smile
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
If you're using it for marketing then everything has to have a purpose. The footage you include needs to be the type of gigs you want. If you want corporate gigs then you need footage of you in corporate surroundings. If you want kid shows then you need footage of you performing for kids, etc. The type of footage determines the type of gigs you get.

With that in mind, you need to take out the coin trick because it has no purpose other than to show your skill. Your main goal is to sell. If something does not add, it detracts.

So here are the tips:
1. Take out the beginning text where you say, "have you ever been experienced?" It makes no sense and does not sell. It goes with the song but you're trying to be "artistic" and you're forgetting about the "selling."

2. Do not make the footage spin around like the opening. It is confusing and there is no purpose for the spin.

3. Include testimonials. Social proof is the number one persuasion technique. When people here others raving about you then it creates desire for them to buy. After you perform for people, record them describing what you did and what they thought.

4. I already mentioned this earlier but it is very important...change the footage you have in your demo. Make sure people see you performing in the venues you want to be hired at. If you don't have any shows then go to a hotel with a friend (wear a suit) and have him record you performing for people who are coming out of events. You will then get footage of you performing for people in suits and it will look like you have done a corporate gig.

Here is a link to Greg Wilson's demo which I believe is one of the best demos for a magician...take note...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJ1nsSri_w
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thank you for the link, I will look into it as soon as I get out of school and don't have to worry about the filter keeping me off youtube lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My promotional video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL