The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cthulhu Mythos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
Would be very interested to hear if anyone has tried combining ideas from Lovecraftian Cthulhu mythos with magic.
Thanks
Desmanthus
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
Have you read lovecraftian ceremonies by Steven Minch, I believe it is amongst them lines. Also there is a few bits in the "INVOCATION". Hope this helps. Smile
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Something that I think makes a more bizzare theme is Alister Crowley. Many people have either heard of him or know a little bit about him and since Ozzy Osbourne wrote a song on him you can refer to that as well. I like to use him and a few of his stories for a very bizzare show.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Larry Baukin wrote a book in the early nineties called, "The Book of Aleister Crowley". It has nine little gems dedicated to the Beast himself. (It was published by Mary Tomich at Thaumysta.)
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
There are 26 books written by uncle Al that have been published. The best for this kind of work would be the Goetia, book of lies, and magick in theory and practice. Most of his work is for a well educated person well versed in Greco Roman myth and philosophy.
Zodiac
View Profile
New user
WA
27 Posts

Profile of Zodiac
I think both Alister and Chthulu mythos are great ideas.
What's on your mind?
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

Again, the Invocation has some wonderful Lovecraft-inspired routines. Mary Tomich's Altar Flame also has a few routines. She will be publishing a complete tome of that fine work very soon. Look for it!

Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
tpearman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
53 Posts

Profile of tpearman
I believe Docc Hilford has some routine involving Lovecraft related themes
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Tpearman, that would be 'At the mountains of madness'
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2002-04-26 23:55, Marduke Kurios wrote:
Larry Baukin wrote a book in the early nineties called, "The Book of Aleister Crowley". It has nine little gems dedicated to the Beast himself. (It was published by Mary Tomich at Thaumysta.)

Not sure if everyone knows, but this has been republished with another fantastic work of Larry's, "Laughing Souls"
http://www.mevproshop.com/baukin-anthology.html

Tony
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Minch's book is AMAZING. The whole first half (the original book) is all very powerful Lovecraft mythos themed routines.

Docc's "At the mountains of madness," is also very good. I wanted to do it for along time, but I ran in to a few technical problems and now I'm working on my own bizarre show. I'm incorporating a lot of the back story that I did for Docc's show into it.

I got half way through a Mythos based psychic reading system (it was going to be used in my version of Docc's show). I think it's a great idea and could actually be very powerful, but I no lomger have a need for it,

Baukin's ebook is wonderful with really great stories. If you decide to do any of the routines based on historical characters as written you should do some resaearch, find out which parts are accurate and which are not and then decide if you want to adapt them or not. Even if you don't you should know the real history so you have an answer to any objections that might be raised.

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 3:31pm
One of my favorite Lovecraft stories has always been"The terrible old man," which of course just BEGS for a pendulum in a bottle routine.

I also have always liked "The Horror at Red Hook." I use Lovecraft's version of the ancient invocation (GORGO! MORMO! THOUSAND FACED MOON!) in a curse routine I do. This story could potentially be a cool set up for a whole seance effect style black mass.

-Those aren't exactly mythos tales, but I figured they were close enough.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The torn and restored squid.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
In The Book of Forgotten Secrets Stephen Minch mentions performing one of the effects and having its Lovecraftiana taken as something like an in-joke by one participant. It's hard to convey cosmic alienation with what may be familiar. Anyone interested in using Lovecraftian themes might look into how his influence has been processed by followers such as Caitlín Kiernan or Thomas Ligotti, whose writings will inspire in their own right.
tpearman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
53 Posts

Profile of tpearman
I have never read the Terrible Old Man I will have to find a copy somewhere.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-27 15:48, Merlin C wrote:
In The Book of Forgotten Secrets Stephen Minch mentions performing one of the effects and having its Lovecraftiana taken as something like an in-joke by one participant.

I think it was the presentation. He didn't mention anything about Lovecraft in his show he just went into the routines as if the Mythos were historical.

I think (for me at least) you could still do directly Lovecraft themes by simply addressing the connection in the beginning. Many people believe that Lovecraft was inspired by real secret teachings (which is not true, but it's a good story). Many other people believe that he was unconciously influenced by the elder gods themselves. Many occultists take Lovecraft very seriously.

If it's presented in this way I don't think the "in joke" issue would arise.

Quote:
On 2010-11-27 16:50, tpearman wrote:
I have never read the Terrible Old Man I will have to find a copy somewhere.

It's very short, but I remember reading it as a kid and being very taken by this particular old man:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lov......dman.htm
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I made a post before about this amulet found by Crowley during his desastrous expedition in Nepal (in 1905) on the Kangchenjunga, where four men were killed in an avalanche.
A disguised sacrice to a Great Old One ?
Some say that the amulet originates from the mysterious Y'Pawfrm e'din Leng (plateau of Leng).

Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 08:42, The Curator wrote:
I made a post before about this amulet found by Crowley during his desastrous expedition in Nepal (in 1905) on the Kangchenjunga, where four men were killed in an avalanche.
A disguised sacrice to a Great Old One ?
Some say that the amulet originates from the mysterious Y'Pawfrm e'din Leng (plateau of Leng).

I want... to know... MORE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cthulhu Mythos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL